The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever have one of those days, or several days, that you would just like to go to the pantry and pick out a snack that just looks good, instead of what you "can" and "can't" have? I'm having one of those days where I really don't care. I'm so sick of having to plan meals and snacks, and just tired of having to constantly remind myself that I'm not like the rest of my family and can do pretty much whatever I want. I watch commercials on tv for various food. I watch people coming in and out of fast food places and restaurants that I know I don't dare walk through the front door because they don't serve anything I can eat, and I feel deprived and frustrated.

Sorry for the rant, just one of those days.....................

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have problems when people bring donuts into work in the morning, or some afternoons the supervisor get cookies for everyone... and if I'm in a particular kinda of mood, it kinda hurts my feelings because I feels like no one ever stops and thinks about me. I mean I've only worked at the same place for 7 years and everyone knows I'm diabetic.

Reactions: 1970clea

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can totally relate to that. We are having a family campout this weekend and a family member is planning Saturday night supper for a special birthday for someone that is going to be there (my hubby). When she told me she was planning steak, corn on the cob, baked potatoes and birthday cake for dessert, I told her that I can't have the corn on the cob or the birthday cake as it isn't good for me, and her response was "Gee, sucks to be you!" and she laughed. And yes, I can take my green salad and my broccoli, etc. and cook my own dinner, but I get frustrated because I have to. And yes, I can take my own food to family dinners, etc., but the point is I don't want to be treated any different or come across as being picky or fussy, which I'm not. I'd love to dig into the birthday cake and corn on the cob, just like everyone else. Some days I feel like just doing as I please and if I suffer the consequences, so be it. I'll die young, but I'll die happy! Sorry, just one of those days................................... I'm sure it will pass, just as watching hubby devour brownies passed at lunch time today.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The baked potato would do me in! I stay away from potato pretty much completely... but I can eat me some steak now! Maybe cook you some shrimp to go with that steak, who doesn't like shrimp and steak??? YUM! and when your friend ask for some shrimp... say, "Sucks to be you!". lol

Reactions: rvknott and Shanny

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I can totally relate to that. We are having a family campout this weekend and a family member is planning Saturday night supper for a special birthday for someone that is going to be there (my hubby). When she told me she was planning steak, corn on the cob, baked potatoes and birthday cake for dessert, I told her that I can't have the corn on the cob or the birthday cake as it isn't good for me, and her response was "Gee, sucks to be you!" and she laughed. And yes, I can take my green salad and my broccoli, etc. and cook my own dinner, but I get frustrated because I have to. And yes, I can take my own food to family dinners, etc., but the point is I don't want to be treated any different or come across as being picky or fussy, which I'm not. I'd love to dig into the birthday cake and corn on the cob, just like everyone else. Some days I feel like just doing as I please and if I suffer the consequences, so be it. I'll die young, but I'll die happy! Sorry, just one of those days................................... I'm sure it will pass, just as watching hubby devour brownies passed at lunch time today.
I couldn't have the baked potato, either.

Insulin makes life possible, but I need a boatload to handle any amount bigger than a cruel tease. Worse, even when I do tweak my insulin enough so that "just one nibble" doesn't zoom my BGL, for some reason I always feel sluggish and yucky for a couple of days after eating any refined carbs at all.

So I've often been to potlucks, cafes and the like where there's very little I can eat ... and most of what I can eat, I know I'll regret later.

My house is continually re-stocked with foods I can't -- and don't -- touch, but I believe that's good for me (but not so good for my hubby; we each do our own re-stocking). Somehow, I've got to get used to a world where feasting, like brain surgery, is something I'm not qualified to do. Being constantly surrounded by forbidden stuff works for me.

And no, I don't always handle it gracefully. But I need to learn.

Reactions: rvknott

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
It has to be a lot harder when others in your household aren't eating like you. Any way to get them to cut out things that aren't good for non-diabetics either? I know when I grew up, there were no sweets or sodas or chips or any of that in the house. There was, of course, plenty of rice though!

I watch people coming in and out of fast food places and restaurants that I know I don't dare walk through the front door because they don't serve anything I can eat, and I feel deprived and frustrated.
So far, I haven't found a place where there's nothing I can eat. Okay, there are things I'd like to eat but can't - but my experience in getting cooks/chefs to accommodate me have been very positive. At fast food places one can eat burgers, grilled chicken, etc - and it might be helpful to look at what you can eat vs what you can't. Facile to say, I know, but it truly works for me.

The other day I was at a restaurant with a grim menu. There was some salmon on the menu but I was sure it was farmed, possibly very average, and had some fruit sauce something with it. I saw nothing blackened, but on a chance asked the server if they had any way to blacken the salmon. She said sure! She brought the plate - salmon on a tiny bit of cooked spinach and a lot of rice. Uh oh - fell on my sword, apologized for not asking in advance, but could she please take the rice off the plate, and if there was any more spinach, that would be delightful. Well, she came back with my blackened salmon on top of a FULL plate of spinach. Guess the chef didn't want to send out a pathetic-looking plate :) My dinner was delicious.

The first time I sat in a restaurant and looked at the menu I nearly cried. But a funny thing happened on the way to breaking my carb addiction (vs now carb want) - I'm able to be in the presence of them without weeping. Maybe there should be a 12-step pgm for us!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have those days all the time. Today was one. I was hungry all day. So finally right before lunch I gave in and toasted 2 slices of sprouted grain bread and had them with Coconut Oil and almond butter. Boy, did that hit the spot. My 2 hour numbers were great, too ( 108). It is almost 4 hours and I am still full. So I do think sometimes it is ok to give in a little.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
It has to be a lot harder when others in your household aren't eating like you. Any way to get them to cut out things that aren't good for non-diabetics either? I know when I grew up, there were no sweets or sodas or chips or any of that in the house. There was, of course, plenty of rice though!
Main meals are me-friendly. But hubby's lunch packs, desserts and snacks are not. It may be a process of evolution.

My joining the Food Police would be counter-productive at best.

So far, I haven't found a place where there's nothing I can eat. Okay, there are things I'd like to eat but can't - but my experience in getting cooks/chefs to accommodate me have been very positive. At fast food places one can eat burgers, grilled chicken, etc - and it might be helpful to look at what you can eat vs what you can't. Facile to say, I know, but it truly works for me.

The other day I was at a restaurant with a grim menu. There was some salmon on the menu but I was sure it was farmed, possibly very average, and had some fruit sauce something with it. I saw nothing blackened, but on a chance asked the server if they had any way to blacken the salmon. She said sure! She brought the plate - salmon on a tiny bit of cooked spinach and a lot of rice. Uh oh - fell on my sword, apologized for not asking in advance, but could she please take the rice off the plate, and if there was any more spinach, that would be delightful. Well, she came back with my blackened salmon on top of a FULL plate of spinach. Guess the chef didn't want to send out a pathetic-looking plate :) My dinner was delicious.

The first time I sat in a restaurant and looked at the menu I nearly cried. But a funny thing happened on the way to breaking my carb addiction (vs now carb want) - I'm able to be in the presence of them without weeping. Maybe there should be a 12-step pgm for us!
Restaurants, even fast-food joints are great. But at first, I got upset, not so much by cravings, but from sheer frustration (e.g., all the "savory" dishes covered in fruit or syrup ... I hated that, long before D!). So far, however, I haven't found any place that refuses to make substitutions. And most will do it without slowing down everyone else's order.

Other people's houses, cafes where the food is all brought in from outside, and potlucks ... not so helpful. With potlucks, the stuff I bring is sometimes the only thing I can eat. And I don't feel right about hogging it -- people like healthy stuff! So I've learned to eat before going to such events.

We do volunteer work, and that's how we meet, so I get a lot of valuable character-building practice. (Which, I honestly believe, is healthy for me! But sometimes it feels like waaaaayyyy too much of a good thing.)

I'm also beginning to suspect my food issues are not all due to D. That's made me crankier than usual.

Reactions: rvknott

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
As Shalynne says, main meals are always me-friendly, and some desserts/snacks - like s/f popcicles and s/f puddings/jello - are things DH enjoys too. He loves our peanut butter cookies & the low-carb carrot cake.

But he keeps English muffins around & a box or two of cereal now & again, so he isn't totally "deprived". ;)

When we have company or the kids come home, I never even tell them they're eating low carb & they can't tell it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I sooooo love to cook...I love feeding people...it's such a huge part of who I am....BUT...I'm also not a saint lol...so when I cook yummies for my son I mak sure it's something I don't like lol...it works really well....he loves anything with peppermint and chocolate...it may as well be poison as there is no way I'd touch it...he has pizza but always a topping that doesn't tempt me...

I'm also lucky my favourite cafe doesn't a low carb breakfast/lunch...they will also cook to order for people with food allergies/intolerances...it is so worth being extra nice to people that will go the extra bit to accommodate you...especially when they do it with a smile

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It is usually left to me to practice self-control. My family is really good at making sure I have enough to eat that is low carb but that doesn't mean they always leave the other stuff off the table.
But, to answer your original question, I would say about 80% of the time I don't miss that stuff. However, there are times when I just want a big bowl of ice cream, dish of pasta, slice of pizza, candy bar, etc. I just count it as one of my crosses to carry and give thanks that I am alive and diabetic in this day and age when there is treatment and it isn't too intrusive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know where you are coming from. Yesterday evening for dessert I had 2 chocolate muffins ( actually cupcakes ). As though that wasn't bad enough I smeared dark fudge frosting on them. Luckily my BS this morning was 138. I do this every five or six weeks. If I don't do this too often, eat high fiber vegtables with my dinner and am active before and after I "sin" my blood sugar isn't too bad. It's that damn sweet tooth.
Gregg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts