The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a Life Scan oneTouch Ultra easy machine, which comes in a funky modern green :). I went to collect some more testing strips, only to be told that the manufactuer has withdrawn them.

Do people here often experience the sudden withdrawel of their testign equipment? I have read of other machines going, but I thought that my machine used the strips that a lot of other machines use.

It's a bit disconcerting, in that if I hadn't found two phials of strips, i would be unable to test this morning. It's not absolutely vital for me at the moment, but if I had been in a situation where testing is very important (like when I start insulin for example - I'm told that my numbers will have to be phoned in, they are that important in the beginning) I would be absolutely stuck right now.

I am in two minds as to whether to buy a new machine. On the NHS, I believe I can get a free new one. I don't have any objections to buying one like the one I've been using, as it's only £10. However, I don't want to buy one only to find I'll have to buy another one in a few months time.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Is it a special kind of One Touch Strip? I used to use the mini and One Touch Ultra and had no problem buying strips. Although they were quite pricey. I have now switched to the Bayer Contour USB. I got a free meter.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've been using one touch since I was diagnosed and have never changed strips. This seems odd to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just been to the chemist and they've now told me that they shouldn't have used the word "Withdrawn". I didn't mention the fact that they had also told me to go back to my doctor to get a new machine and a new prescription. What's happened in fact, there's been a 'problem with the manufacturer' and the strips are still available. So that's OK.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
can anyone answer how far one tuch meter testing is reliable?
Most meters, regardless of manufacturer, have a +/- 20% margin of error. I find that the One Touches usually give readings that are a little on the low side while Accu-Chek meters are a little on the high side. (Those are the two types of meters I have tested with).

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
while Accu-Chek meters are a little on the high side.
That could be, but I didn't understand my meter readings against my A1C. I use an Accu-chek Aviva, and it agreed with a simultaneous reading at the hosp. According to my meter (I was testing about 6x/day, including sometimes in the middle of the night, all times of day), my average the month prior to my A1C was 97, average the 3 months prior was 106.

My A1C came in at 6.2. I'm not complaining, mind - it was my first post-dx testing - but I found it curious. 6.2, depending on chart used, correlates to 131 average. I think I hit over 130 (and barely) perhaps 3 times in the 2 months prior. My endo explained it by saying the A1C can measure as much as 4 months prior as that's the life of a red blood cell, but everything I've read says 2-3 months and heavily weighted (50%) in the month prior.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
That could be, but I didn't understand my meter readings against my A1C. I use an Accu-chek Aviva, and it agreed with a simultaneous reading at the hosp. According to my meter (I was testing about 6x/day, including sometimes in the middle of the night, all times of day), my average the month prior to my A1C was 97, average the 3 months prior was 106.

My A1C came in at 6.2. I'm not complaining, mind - it was my first post-dx testing - but I found it curious. 6.2, depending on chart used, correlates to 131 average. I think I hit over 130 (and barely) perhaps 3 times in the 2 months prior. My endo explained it by saying the A1C can measure as much as 4 months prior as that's the life of a red blood cell, but everything I've read says 2-3 months and heavily weighted (50%) in the month prior.

I use an Aviva as well. It's my go-to meter when I want to be sure that my BG reading is relatively accurate. I don't use my One Touch Ultra Easy anymore since it was a freebie and I would rather have a meter read higher than lower. I have an Accu-Chek Compact Plus (ha! that thing is anything but compact!) and I should have an Accu-chek Nano tomorrow (everyone tells me that collecting meters is my new hobby). :) The only meter I really want to try out is the Bayer Contour USB but it costs 70 US dollars here in Sweden whereas most other meters are free (covered by universal health care).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Meters

I was just reading the post and I would like to know how much of low reading meters give I have Onetouch ultra mini and I was using a Bayer contur meter until i ran out strips And I had strips for the mini one So this morning I tested at 168 before meals and meds so if meters read lower what would be then am type 2 I take levemir 45 units at night Metformi 500 mg 2 x a day

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I was just reading the post and I would like to know how much of low reading meters give I have Onetouch ultra mini and I was using a Bayer contur meter until i ran out strips And I had strips for the mini one So this morning I tested at 168 before meals and meds so if meters read lower what would be then am type 2 I take levemir 45 units at night Metformi 500 mg 2 x a day
For the most part, the One Touches are not that much lower than the other meters. An example would be the readings I did when I first got my One Touch Ultra Easy and compared it to my Accu-Chek Aviva. The One Touch gave me a 3.9 (70) reading while the the Aviva gave me a 4.6 (83). If I regard the One Touch as correct then I am in hypoglycemic territory and I have never had a hypo since being diagnosed and certainly didn't feel so at the moment of testing. I therefore concluded that the reading from the Aviva was likely closer to correct. Others I have talked to confirm the One Touches being a little low (nothing to really concern yourself with as long as you keep it in mind) and other people confirm that the Accu-Cheks (in general) have slightly higher readings. Remember that most meters have a +/- 20% margin of error. The only meters I know of that are more accurate (apparently, but I have never tried them) are the Wavesense meters which have a +/-10% margin of error.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Hi. I have family members in Egypt and was about to give one of them an extra OneTouch Mini that I have but didn't know if OneTouch strips were available in Egypt. I guess you've answered that.

How much do they cost there?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use OneTouch Select test strips now. They aren't very easy to locate, but they're there. A pack contains two 25-strip boxes, which add up to 50 test strips. They cost 150 Egyptian pounds, which are approximately $25 USD when converted.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Thanks. At least that's half of what they cost here.

I use OneTouch Select test strips now. They aren't very easy to locate, but they're there. A pack contains two 25-strip boxes, which add up to 50 test strips. They cost 150 Egyptian pounds, which are approximately $25 USD when converted.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Thanks. At least that's half of what they cost here.
In the pharmacies, yes - but strips are available at Amazon for almost all meters at about 50-cents/strip.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Call the manufacturer. They'll probably send you an upgraded meter for free. They really don't make their money on the meters, but rather the test strips, so they don't want you to switch to another brand.

I just started using and registered my FreeStyle Lite meter. I got it for free a year ago from the endocrinologist. After I registered it, they sent me an email saying they will send me a new meter in the mail for free. Personally, I think that is stupid, unless it is upgraded somehow. I've only been using this meter for three weeks! Seems so wasteful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They withdraw them with no rhyme or reason,I suspect there is an underlying financial motivation to these actions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts