The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was diagnosed on March 26, 2010. My tolerance test result was 218. They never did a A1C at diagnosis. I just finally had A1c and it was 5.8 and my BG was 111 which was slightly elevated over the 99 recommended. On Lisinopril 20mg daily for hypertension. Have PCOS. After nearly a year of complaining of weight gain, exhaustion, sweats, frequent urination and BP up to 170/112 I was tested and diagnosed with DM.

I am getting it in control but NEVER get a reading below 90 even when I have had nothing to eat for 16-17 hours. And I spike after meals >50 pts frequently. But Dr. said since a1c was low I could stop taking my Metformin of 500mg per day. Then retest in 3 months to see where the a1c is again.

I don't want to stop my metformin. I am worried I will get really sick again. I was so exhausted all the time I fell asleep at red lights twice and had to take naps at work cuz I couldn't make it through the day. Not to mention I gained 40 lbs and only have lost 20 since they started the metformin. Since the never bothered to check my a1c before I think the good reading now is a testament to the metformin and diet changes working and doesn't mean I should stop the meds.

He said he was worried about my BGL getting too low. I don't buy that since I never get a low hypo type reading ever! I know I can stop and watch everything jump back up to prove I should be on the meds but I don't think I should have to put myself back in the "hole" to prove the meds are good for me.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Metformin on its own rarely causes hypoglycemia. What did he say when you told him you would rather not stop taking it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Metformin on its own rarely causes hypoglycemia. What did he say when you told him you would rather not stop taking it?
He said if my #'s go back up to call him and he will tell me to start the Metformin again. Which frustrated me...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I imagine that it did. Just keep monitoring your carb intake and checking your blood sugar regularly. If you notice it creeping back up then I would certainly call him.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi, Jules . . . you'd kinda think the doc might add 2+2 and realize that metformin is what gets you that nice A1c! And I agree you shouldn't have to be put in a position of regressing to prove it to the doc. But unless there's a second opinion to be gotten from another doc, about all you can do is follow Pam's admonition - continue monitoring & limiting carbs. Very exasperating, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I was diagnosed on March 26, 2010. My tolerance test result was 218. They never did a A1C at diagnosis. I just finally had A1c and it was 5.8 and my BG was 111 which was slightly elevated over the 99 recommended. On Lisinopril 20mg daily for hypertension. Have PCOS. After nearly a year of complaining of weight gain, exhaustion, sweats, frequent urination and BP up to 170/112 I was tested and diagnosed with DM.

I am getting it in control but NEVER get a reading below 90 even when I have had nothing to eat for 16-17 hours. And I spike after meals >50 pts frequently. But Dr. said since a1c was low I could stop taking my Metformin of 500mg per day. Then retest in 3 months to see where the a1c is again.

I don't want to stop my metformin. I am worried I will get really sick again. I was so exhausted all the time I fell asleep at red lights twice and had to take naps at work cuz I couldn't make it through the day. Not to mention I gained 40 lbs and only have lost 20 since they started the metformin. Since the never bothered to check my a1c before I think the good reading now is a testament to the metformin and diet changes working and doesn't mean I should stop the meds.

He said he was worried about my BGL getting too low. I don't buy that since I never get a low hypo type reading ever! I know I can stop and watch everything jump back up to prove I should be on the meds but I don't think I should have to put myself back in the "hole" to prove the meds are good for me.

Any thoughts?
I am not sure what your doctor is thinking. Being on Metformin is probably why your A1C is lower. Like Shanny mentioned, that if you don't have another doctor to go to then you will have to go off of Metformin and see what happens. That is sad to think that you might have to go off of your medication, just to prove your point. I would be looking for another doctor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked my ex husband to ask some of the doctors at the hospital he works at for an opinion. But basically I was considering changing Insurance companies and therefore doctors at the end of the year. With this current medical group, I actually complained for a year of the same symptoms and it that long to figure out I had diabetes. When I had my hysterectomy and the Dr. said my ovaries were both covered in cysts, I immediately said that PCOS would explain my symptoms that the Adenomyosis did not. The doctor said...well of course if you go looking for something you will find something. What?! Then asked for referral to endo and that Dr. listened to me said well you just need to eat less and exercise more. I had been dieting and exercising til my symptoms got so bad I couldn't exercise anymore. No matter how little I ate I kept gaining weight. It wasn't til I said I couldn't function day to day that tests were run.

So I have decided I am going to go AMA and just continue my meds. I have enough refills to get me to the end of the year. I will do the next scheduled a1c test in October and let him mail me the results if they are "too low" I will stop but I seriously doubt they will be. I have too much to do and lots of work and business travel to be dealing with going back to the way I felt 3.5 months ago.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
In my opinion, you're wise to be considering changing doctors. Is AMA the new insurance you'll be switching to?

If you have any choice at all, go right ahead and "interview" the docs . . . you have every right to look for one who will listen to you and take you seriously. I have even gone so far as to tell a potential new doc exactly why I left my old one, and ask if I can expect any different in the new one's office. We're the ones paying for it - whether directly or through insurance premiums - so we're well advised to size them up before we commit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my opinion, you're wise to be considering changing doctors. Is AMA the new insurance you'll be switching to?

If you have any choice at all, go right ahead and "interview" the docs . . . you have every right to look for one who will listen to you and take you seriously. I have even gone so far as to tell a potential new doc exactly why I left my old one, and ask if I can expect any different in the new one's office. We're the ones paying for it - whether directly or through insurance premiums - so we're well advised to size them up before we commit.
AMA= against medical advice

·
Registered
7 Posts
You may have other issues. You mentioned your weight so that is a good place to focus. The best thing to do is bite the bullet, eat a low carb diet, record (honestly) your meals and BG fasting and two hours post meals until you see your MD again. Type II is a tough diagnosis, but you can do it if you are disiplined and mini size your treats. You will feel better when your BG is under control, but don't skip meals. Your MD won't look at 110 fasting and an A1c of 5.8 and be concerned if you are starving yourself and don't tell him/her you are skipping to avoid high readings.

-Been there and done that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts