Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Oopsies

12K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  walkerwally1 
#1 ·
I had never heard of Oopsies, but it is quite a sensation with the low-carb crowd. Seems someone who goes by the user name of Carbarella was trying to follow an Atkin's Revolution recipe. The recipe calls for fat, but by mistake she used cream cheese. She ended up making some very good low carb hamburger buns. Because of her mistake, she calls them Oopsies.
Your Lighter Side...: Gluten-free, low-carb buns (aka Oopsie rolls)

Some people are making Mayo Oopsies by stubstituting mayo for the cream cheese.
Mayo Oopsie Roll Recipe

I haven't tried either of these recipes, but today I made something called Lauren's Fluffy Biscuits, only I call them hamburger buns. The recipe makes 4, they are thick enough that you can use a serrated knife to cut them in half. This recipe calls for almond flour, baking soda or powder, (I used soda) and 4 egg whites. I used 2 whole eggs and was very pleased with the results.
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

All 3 of these recipes can be made on a cookie sheet, but many people make them in a muffin top pan. When I saw how many low carb recipes people are coming up with for this pan, of course I had to have one. My local Walmart didn't have any, but I found them at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I used it for the buns, and think it is a great invention, and I know it will be getting a good workout.

See less See more
#2 ·
ah huh I want one too!

#3 ·
I've had that Oopsie rolls link bookmarked forever & still haven't gotten around to trying them. This may be the nudge I've been needing. If you try 'em, be sure to let us know. Maybe I'll kick it in gear today & get 'er done - y'think? Yeah riiight . . . :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reminder, Joyce!

#4 ·
I've made the Oopies, they are good. I have also tried lots of the recipes on Linda's website. She has a great biscuit made with Coconut Flour and cheddar cheese. I make it and use it as a topping when I make low carb Tamale Pie. I just ordered some muffin top pans to make a lot of those low carb rolls and breads, so they are more like buns.

Reactions: Dodie37737
#5 · (Edited)
I've made Oopsies a lot and they are fantastic! I add parmesan or herb mixtures to them sometimes, and they are tough enough to even hold barbecue or a hamburger. I take a couple to my favorite barbecue place and they fill it with brisket and give me the sauce on the side so I can use as I wish. They keep for some days if I keep them in the 'fridge.

Gotta go to Linda's site to see what else is there that I haven't tried!

#6 ·
I made Oopsies for the first time a couple of days ago and while they turned out beautifully, I wasn't impressed with the taste of them. I found that they tasted too much like their main ingredients…cream cheese and egg. I will try the almond flour variant next time and if they don't prove to be keepers then I'll stick with the low-carb bread I get from my supermarket. While the slices are tiny, at least they taste more like bread.

#8 ·
I made the mayo oopsies today, we had chicken salad on them. They tasted fair, but the recipe that uses almond flour has a lot more body, is more like bread, and I think it tastes much better.

I'm thinking about monkeying around with the almond recipe to see if I can substitute another ingredient for half of the almond flour since almonds and almond flour seems kind of expensive to me right now. Maybe I will try substituting mayo.

#9 ·
Well, I tweaked the almond flour recipe. I like it as well, if not better than the original, it has less almond flour, so less carbs.

Hamburger Buns

1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup pork rinds, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease 4 wells of a muffin top pan.
In a small bowl, stir together almond flour, rinds and soda. Stir in the butter.
In a seperate small bowl, beat the mayo and eggs with a fork until well blended.
Stir the egg mixture into the almond mixture.
Divide equally between the 4 wells.
Bake 12 min, remove from pan at once, let cool.

#10 ·
Thanks for the great posts!!!

I do have a question, is Almond Flour usually sold locally?
Am interested in talking my better half into giving lower carb Buns a go and she also is willing to. I stay out of the kitchen (mostly) and she does well with cooking a lot better than many. No idea on local availability for Almond Flour.

Larry

#13 · (Edited)
ok I stole this from here

What is Almond Flour? What is Almond Meal?:
Almond flour and meal are both just ground up almonds. Almond flour is most often made with blanched almonds (no skin), whereas almond meal can be made either with whole or blanched almonds. In either case, the consistency is more like corn meal than wheat flour. I find that for the most part they can be used interchangeably.

What is Almond Flour/Meal Good For?:

Almond flour is good in "quick-bread" type recipes, like muffins, nut breads, and pancakes (see recipes below). It's not good for foods such as bread that require a real dough (you can't knead it). Usually, more eggs are required when baking with almond meal to provide more structure. Almond meal can also be used in breading fish, but care must be taken not to burn it.

Can I Make My Own Almond Flour?:
Yes, you can make it in a blender or food processor, though care must be taken not to go too far, or you will have almond butter! Use fairly small amounts, and pulse until it's meal.

I use whatever I have handy from flax/linseed or psyllium or chestnut flour or coconut flour...I buy them when they are cheap and interchange them....some to gobble up liquid faster than others...

One more thing...almonds in bulk are hefty as far as calories go...so if you are watching your weight as well um try mixing in abit of psyllium...it has ZERO carbs...its not that nice alone so I mix it with a nut flour...

#14 ·
Here is another hamburger bun recipe. I like it a lot better in a lot of ways than the one I posted earlier on this thread. They are pretty thin so you can't slice them, which means it will take 2 to make a bun.

Hamburger Buns

4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, baking powder, onion powder
2 eggs
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 cup Carbquik

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
With an electric mixer, beat together all ingredients except the Carbquik until smooth. Stir in the Carbquik.
Divide between the 6 cells of an oiled muffin top pan and bake 12 to 15 minutes. Remove buns from pan at once to cool.

#15 ·
First attempt at Oopsie Bread, and the batter came out very runny. I am not sure why. So instead of six mounds, I have four irregular masses that run together. They've been in the oven for 10 minutes; I am thinking that I may be able to use the end result like a wrap. The experimentation will continue.

#18 ·
I checked with my mother, as she used to teach high school Home Ec. She figures that I didn't beat the egg whites enough; she suggested that if I am wondering whether they're beaten enough yet, they probably are not... Attempt #2 will be when I can get some more cream cheese...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.