The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I await more blood work I went out and bought a meter. I started testing yesterday and this is what I logged ( I am on 500mg of Metformin 1 a day):

After eating some veggies 118
two hours later 85

hour after a muffin 141

hour after eating Bar B Q 207
two hours after meal 118

First thing this morning 113

Thoughts????

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So as I await more blood work I went out and bought a meter. I started testing yesterday and this is what I logged ( I am on 500mg of Metformin 1 a day):

two hours later 85

hour after a muffin 141

two hours after meal 118

Thoughts????
You need to test before you eat. Work off of that number. Then test 1 & 2 hours after eating. Your goal should be to be back to your test reading before you ate after 2 hours. The only number that looks kind of high is the hour after eating BBQ, was that a sandwich? But you did come back down into target range 2 hours post meal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your numbers look good apart from the spike after the BBQ but even that was fine after 2 hrs. The odd spike isnt too bad, remember its the habits not the exceptions that make problems. Given your numbers I would question if you really need metformin as you are on a small dose and the normal quoted minimum clinical dose is 1500mg per day. That being said however metformin should not give you hypos and might very well reduce the amount of insulin your pancreas has to pump out and help to keep it working for longer.

·
Registered
930 Posts
tantoria2

they tell me here that metformin takes weeks to start working, so how long have you been taking metformin in that you just bought a meter?

two hours later 85

hour after a muffin 141

two hours after meal 118

Thoughts????

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they tell me here that metformin takes weeks to start working, so how long have you been taking metformin in that you just bought a meter?
I just started Metformin on Thursday, but I stopped taking it Sunday. Im going to continue to monitor my BS and see if it continues to be high. The Metformin was really making me feel horrible.

Today waking BS was 119, and basically ran from 119 to about 197, I felt shaky at one point and checked it and it was 97????? Thats the lowest it dropped. Just checked it a few minutes ago and it was 130.... I haven't had anything to eat in 5- 6 hours. its not super high, but it has only dropped passed 100 2 times in the last 3 days.:confused:

·
Registered
930 Posts
well i recently tried to restart using metformin after a 3 year pause but it was unstable all over over the place so i discontinued it's use. i have not found any info on what to expect from metformin when first starting using it.

I just started Metformin on Thursday, but I stopped taking it Sunday. Im going to continue to monitor my BS and see if it continues to be high. The Metformin was really making me feel horrible.

Today waking BS was 119, and basically ran from 119 to about 197, I felt shaky at one point and checked it and it was 97????? Thats the lowest it dropped. Just checked it a few minutes ago and it was 130.... I haven't had anything to eat in 5- 6 hours. its not super high, but it has only dropped passed 100 2 times in the last 3 days.:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Normally the gastro side effects of metformin will subside after a few weeks. They didnt in me so I switched to the slow release variant and found that it got rid of the gastro side effects.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yep - if the side effects are intolerable, switch to the extended release version and then give it time to work, which often takes a few more weeks. To effect maximum therapeutic effect, it needs a few weeks to gain maximum blood levels & then you just need to continue regular dosing.

Thanks, Jonkarra.

Normally the gastro side effects of metformin will subside after a few weeks. They didnt in me so I switched to the slow release variant and found that it got rid of the gastro side effects.

·
Registered
253 Posts
has only dropped passed 100 2 times in the last 3 days.:confused:
This isn't a very popular idea, and you would want to read 'The Diabetes Solution' by Dr Richard K Bernstein before even trying it, but he suggests that blood glucose should not go over 100, even after meals. It makes sense to me too and that is what I aim for.

That is going to be just a bit tricky, especially on insulin. He has a complete system that makes it possible. It is a bit extreme and I don't follow it completely, but understanding it is really a big help in dealing with diabetes.

If you have been having high blood sugars for a long time, having them in the normal range can feel uncomfortable. That happened to me when I was first diagnosed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts