The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been taking Metformin XL 4X500mg daily for sixteen years. I have started to have stomach problems and reduced my dosage to 1000 mg. I can not keep my sugars at the right level. My Doc placed me on Junvia and I doubled over in stomach pain and then he placed me on Cliclazide 60mg a day. My stomach pain went away and my sugar levels were good. But after two months the side effects kicked in such as constipation and abdominal pain. I eat soo much roughage i felt like a rabbit.This did not help the side effects. My Doc wants to place me on Victoza which makes me nervous. I am wonder if my pain can be caused from slow gastric emptying?
I do not know what the symptons are for this. My Doctor has also asked me to think about insulin. He indicated that most type two diabetics will end up on insulin. Is this true? Has anyone else had success with any other oral medications that i have not listed?

Need you help
David

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Doctor has also asked me to think about insulin. He indicated that most type two diabetics will end up on insulin. Is this true??

Need you help
David
David, It seems to me that doctors your side of the pond seem to be keener to start on insulin, earlier (correct me if I'm wrong) but this can be a self -fulfilling prophesy as if more doctors think this and put patients on insulin then more will end up on insulin.

You need to do what is best for YOU and if you cannot stabilize on non-insulin or you would feel happier on insulin then insulin would be best for you, else ask your doc to try again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David, It seems to me that doctors your side of the pond seem to be keener to start on insulin, earlier (correct me if I'm wrong) but this can be a self -fulfilling prophesy as if more doctors think this and put patients on insulin then more will end up on insulin.

You need to do what is best for YOU and if you cannot stabilize on non-insulin or you would feel happier on insulin then insulin would be best for you, else ask your doc to try again.
Hi Fergus,
Thank you for the reply. I can control my sugar with Metformin 2000mg,but I can not tolerate the stomach pain. The two other meds I mentioned above gave me stomach issues and added side effects.What kind of oral meds are they using on your side of the world?

David

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
The only meds I know about from experience is metformin and glipizide (the later of which I went off in about 6 weeks), though I've heard positive things about Victoza (esp if weight is an issue.)

I came to diabetes trembling that I might have to take insulin, and now I think 'no big deal.' If/when I need it, I do, and I would not live with less than optimal numbers just to avoid it. I'd rather take insulin than glipizide for example, and certainly if I continued to suffer extreme metformin symptoms I would've asked for it.

The only down side to insulin for me would be to have to watch for lows, but that's true with most oral meds as well (except metformin of course.)

Wish I could be more helpful -

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only meds I know about from experience is metformin and glipizide (the later of which I went off in about 6 weeks), though I've heard positive things about Victoza (esp if weight is an issue.)

I came to diabetes trembling that I might have to take insulin, and now I think 'no big deal.' If/when I need it, I do, and I would not live with less than optimal numbers just to avoid it. I'd rather take insulin than glipizide for example, and certainly if I continued to suffer extreme metformin symptoms I would've asked for it.

The only down side to insulin for me would be to have to watch for lows, but that's true with most oral meds as well (except metformin of course.)

Wish I could be more helpful -
I saw my Dr. today my AC1 was 6.2 with cutting my metformin by half and eating a protein diet. I miss my fruits. I am coming to the conclusion I will have to take insulin, which does scare the hell out of me. I hate the testing because I fined it pain full and I do not know what type of inconvenience it will be in my active life style. It sounds selfish when typing this reply. I have have my family to take care of.
Thank you for your input if you have any more words of wisdom please pass it on to me.

Thank you
David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts