The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've heard different things about dieting and what not. High fat, no fat, low carb, no carb.

What exactly is best and how many carbs per meal should I be consuming?

Is this trial and error or do I need to make arrangements with a dietician to plan it for me

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
In reality, carbs are not essential nutrients. You could theoretically do without ANY carbs. But it's good to get fiber in your diet, so include high-fiber vegetables.

The method I used to get my way-of-eating figured out is using my meter after meals and if any foods bumped my BG higher than 130 or 140, I stopped eating those foods. Now I'm left with all the ones that don't bother my BG and I have some fabulous meals with nearly no carbs. So I don't actually count carbs - just because I don't eat enough of them to bother me. High-fiber vegetables is where I get some, and what little is in cheese. This method does mean a lot of testing to begin with - much more than your doc would ever prescribe - but once you get your food list pretty well complete, you can back off on testing a little bit.

Poke around in our recipe boards - you may find some things there you really like . . . you can also check the sticky threads of what's for breakfast, lunch & dinner, to get an idea of what we actually eat & when.

Most dieticians have to push the ADA diet too, so they aren't much help.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I would not trust a dietitian to help.

Some of it is trial and error. Some of it is imitating what others eat -- look at some of the threads, here.

Best way to be certain with a given food is to test, eat, and test again at 1 and 2 hours after the first bite.

Give it a try for several weeks -- adjusting meds downward as you need -- be careful! -- and you will see why so many here like it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Low carb is the general consensus. Some disagree about fat due to old information out there. Newer information shows many people actually have a long term reduction in bad cholesterol and triglycerides with higher dietary fat provided carb intake and insulin production are lowered. A better reduction than on low fat diets A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Fat Diet To Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia

As to the dietician most diabetics posting on message boards such as this report their recommendations were too high in carbs. Take the advice of no one as to what level of carbs is right for you. You can do a better job of determining what level works for you by taking bgs with a meter before a meal and at the one and two hour marks. In so doing you'll find which foods raise your bg an inappropriate amount and which don't.

One can get a list of foods sorted by carb content such as Calorie Chart - Foods Sorted by carbohydrate content
and start with the lowest foods. Additionally a simple rule I like is not to eat anything white. White foods include white bread, rice, potatoes, flour, etc. Cauliflower is a definite exception to the rule!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
reverie08, low carb/high fat is the way to go if you are diabetic. Basically, stay away from all grains such as flour, rice, potatoes, pasta, of any kind (whole grain or not) unless you can eat without it affecting your blood sugars. The way to know what works for you is to eat according to your meter. When you eat a specific food, check your blood sugar before you eat, and then check it one hour and then two hours after you have eaten. This will show you what foods are safe for you and what foods spike your blood sugar. Also, you of course want to avoid any sugary foods such as pastries, cakes, pies, cookies unless they are made low carb/sugarfree. Check out the recipes that have been posted on the forum here by other low carbers and other diabetics. Most recipes are excellent, and the desserts are to die for! It is important to test your blood sugar often when first starting out, so be prepared to use your meter alot in the beginning. Once you are more controlled, you will not have to test as much, but still test everyday. Also, high fat would be natural fats such as coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, animal fat, full fat cheeses, full fat sour cream, full fat heavy cream, full fat cream cheese, real bacon!, sausages. If you haven't already done so, visit bloodsugars101 to learn more about low carb/high fat, and Dr. Richard Bernstein is a good doctor to look up and read up on. Also, peruse the forum here and see what others are talking about. There is always a good conversation going on about low carb WOE (way of eating) and you will not be sorry or miss all those "bad" foods the ADA tells us we should be eating as diabetics. Those foods only increase your blood sugars and lead you to the severe complications that can occur with diabetes.
Good Luck! Any questions, just ask; someone here will have an answer for you. Welcome Aboard the Forum!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Testing was my next question which is how often and in between should I test.

So right now should it be in the morning while fasting, then 2 hours after each meal thereafter?

I would not trust a dietitian to help.

Some of it is trial and error. Some of it is imitating what others eat -- look at some of the threads, here.

Best way to be certain with a given food is to test, eat, and test again at 1 and 2 hours after the first bite.

Give it a try for several weeks -- adjusting meds downward as you need -- be careful! -- and you will see why so many here like it.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Shanny. So the recommendation may just be to cut out carbs completely. That might bring my sugars down to where I need them.

In reality, carbs are not essential nutrients. You could theoretically do without ANY carbs. But it's good to get fiber in your diet, so include high-fiber vegetables.

The method I used to get my way-of-eating figured out is using my meter after meals and if any foods bumped my BG higher than 130 or 140, I stopped eating those foods. Now I'm left with all the ones that don't bother my BG and I have some fabulous meals with nearly no carbs. So I don't actually count carbs - just because I don't eat enough of them to bother me. High-fiber vegetables is where I get some, and what little is in cheese. This method does mean a lot of testing to begin with - much more than your doc would ever prescribe - but once you get your food list pretty well complete, you can back off on testing a little bit.

Poke around in our recipe boards - you may find some things there you really like . . . you can also check the sticky threads of what's for breakfast, lunch & dinner, to get an idea of what we actually eat & when.

Most dieticians have to push the ADA diet too, so they aren't much help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Thank you! The carb counting classes / education classes have been telling me to eat carbs that are multi grain or whole wheat and to eat 45 carbs per meal. My sugars have still been pretty high even after sticking with that. So I need to change it up. I'm really glad that I joined the forum. It's bad enough feeling the effects of the diabetes and meds then on top of that there's confusion on which is the "right way" to get with it and get healthy. I really appreciate everything you had to say. :)

reverie08, low carb/high fat is the way to go if you are diabetic. Basically, stay away from all grains such as flour, rice, potatoes, pasta, of any kind (whole grain or not) unless you can eat without it affecting your blood sugars. The way to know what works for you is to eat according to your meter. When you eat a specific food, check your blood sugar before you eat, and then check it one hour and then two hours after you have eaten. This will show you what foods are safe for you and what foods spike your blood sugar. Also, you of course want to avoid any sugary foods such as pastries, cakes, pies, cookies unless they are made low carb/sugarfree. Check out the recipes that have been posted on the forum here by other low carbers and other diabetics. Most recipes are excellent, and the desserts are to die for! It is important to test your blood sugar often when first starting out, so be prepared to use your meter alot in the beginning. Once you are more controlled, you will not have to test as much, but still test everyday. Also, high fat would be natural fats such as coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, animal fat, full fat cheeses, full fat sour cream, full fat heavy cream, full fat cream cheese, real bacon!, sausages. If you haven't already done so, visit bloodsugars101 to learn more about low carb/high fat, and Dr. Richard Bernstein is a good doctor to look up and read up on. Also, peruse the forum here and see what others are talking about. There is always a good conversation going on about low carb WOE (way of eating) and you will not be sorry or miss all those "bad" foods the ADA tells us we should be eating as diabetics. Those foods only increase your blood sugars and lead you to the severe complications that can occur with diabetes.
Good Luck! Any questions, just ask; someone here will have an answer for you. Welcome Aboard the Forum!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Keep in mind that many foods that you wouldn't think have carbs, do have carbs such as vegetables. all vegetables have carbs; some are much lower than others. You need to be sure to look at labels and know that carb count for everything. I was eating honey ham lunch meat and found out it spikes my sugar. My first clue should have been the "honey" in the name, but live and learn. I also have to be careful with nuts; some cause a spike where others don't. Testing should be a fasting blood sugar in the morning upon rising (before eating or drinking anything). Test before each meal (before eating anything) and then 1 hr and then 2 hrs after the meal to see how your body responded to the food you ate. Once you know what foods are safe, like Shanny said, you will not have to test as often since you know what does not spike your blood sugar. You will test alot in the beginning. You will not know any other way what you can eat safely. It is alot of trial and error in the beginning, but it pays off.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I know reverie...they told me the same thing. This is the American Diabetes Assoc. way of eating for diabetics...like I said, it does nothing but keep a diabetic a diabetic. It is possible to live with great control as a diabetic. There is no cure for diabetes, but you can live like a normal person as long as you have the correct way of eating under your belt and know what to do to combat high blood sugar. Again, go to website bloodsugar101 and read. It is extremely helpful for a newly diagnosed diabetic. It is a waste of time going to dieticians and nutritionists because the stuff they dole out to us diabetics just doesn't work. I've been battling this for more than 17 years; I know those diets don't work. Been there done that. Too many times. I'm now doing the best I can with LC/HF diet, and to be honest, I gained 8 lbs. when I started insulin back in September. I just weighed myself today and have lost 4 of those 8 lbs. eating high fat and low carb. So, there you go.

Reactions: reverie08

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
aim for zero man made carbs per day, everyday

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ThoseBackPages said:
aim for zero man made carbs per day, everyday
Thank u I'll try eventually I'm sure it will get easier but right now for me it's easier said than done ;o)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you Shanny. So the recommendation may just be to cut out carbs completely. That might bring my sugars down to where I need them.
Right - get your numbers low & stable, then you can start adding back a little now & then, testing carefully as you add back. Oftentimes when we're pretty strict MOST of the time, we can slip by a special occasion now & then - like Beefy did with the KFC meal this week - without getting busted too bad. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts