The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have been sneezing like crazy..also the back of my throat is itchy.

I feel it coming on.

can I just take OTC meds? or should I call Doc? :confused:
I take Benadryl. It has the least effect on my sugar and blood pressure. I've if I just take one I don't get the sleepies and it helps tremendously with the allergy symptoms.
I've tried plenty of others and that's the one that works best for me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I always ask my pharmacist and tell him what meds I am on and if any have interactions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is fine but if it continues with a sore throat and you start having a headache you need to see your physician and be tested for Strep Throat. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I can't take Benedryl, so I just buy one from Wal-Mart or such and have to take it seasonally, and I'm on it now. I always start it prior to the Spring and Fall daily. i have high blood pressure, so that's how my doctor told me to take it. He didn't think any one was better than the other. Just told me to find one that works for me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My allergies have always caused post-nasal drip, and the cruddy drips would soon cause sore throat. I used to have congestion with it too, and if I took pseudoephedrine (alone, not mixed in any combination pill), it would dry it up & squelch the congestion AND the post-nasal drip. Now it's controlled to a degree, because of the meth culture, so you either need a prescription for it, or you at least have to sign for it at the pharmacy.

I can't speak to the sneezing, because I've been a sneezer all my life. Friends made fun of it when I was a teenager; even tonight in the restaurant where we celebrated better half's birthday, I sneezed three times after I'd finished the meal. Once in a San Francisco airport restaurant, I sneezed and the waiter said 'gesundheit', so my ORNERY better half grabbed the opportunity to tell him six more sneezes would follow, and they had a rousing good time counting them as they did indeed follow - six more exactly. If they were delicate ladylike sneezes, I wouldn't even mind, but they're elephant sneezes! <<-- (click all the little sneezies)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took a benedryl about noon time yesterday. could not stay awake.
I napped most of the day till about 7pm. totally missed dinner.

Watched some Tv & went to bed at 10 . I don't think I need any more naps. I will have to get something else thats for sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sudafed raise anybody's BG?

The only decongestant I found that works is Sudafed (or generic). I took a 12-hour tablet this morning for a nasty sinus headache and have watched by BG climb all day long. From 114 to 130 to 195 in the last 12 hours. I have been eating my normal limited carbs diet which keeps me between 100-120 every day. I am hoping like heck it wears off soon, I am stuck running high and hate it.

It got rid of the weather-related congestion and I have no signs of being sick. Does sudafed spike anybody else's BG?

Surfer

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I haven't used it that much since D, but my doc always fussed about Sudafed because it can raise blood pressure. I never took it any more than I had to, and I haven't taken any for nearly a year now. For some crazy reason, my nasal congestion disappeared when I had surgery for a retinal detachment last fall. :crazy:

But yeah, the pseudoephedrine I referred to earlier is the generic for Sudafed. I never used the 12-hour version - I figured I could control it better if I just used the regular 3-hour version. It DOES work, and since it isn't an antihistamine, it never made me drowsy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Update: sudafed Spiiike!

The only decongestant I found that works is Sudafed (or generic). Does sudafed spike anybody else's BG?
Update:
Wow, what a ride. It's now 13hr after my 12-hr dose and my BG dropped from 195 to 95 in the last 2 hours. Still eating carefully, but holy mackeral what a spike!:eek:

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
SerotoninSurfer said:
Update:
Wow, what a ride. It's now 13hr after my 12-hr dose and my BG dropped from 195 to 95 in the last 2 hours. Still eating carefully, but holy mackeral what a spike!:eek:
I just can not take it for what it does to my BP so I take allegra and it does me fine and it and Ays Sinus Rinse is great. Have you checked that?

Pat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts