The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Watched this show last night for the second time. Most interesting part was this 5,000 year old mummy had all of his organs intact. They removed the contents of his stomach, what they found was wheat and meat from a mountain goat. He also had genetic markers for heart disease and was found to have calcium deposits in his arteries surrounding his heart, like any present day 40yr old man. Interesting.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/iceman-murder-mystery.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient...r-mystery.html

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like my brother, hes a good bit heavier though at close to 300lbs

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I am fascinated with the guy! Have you read the most recent info on his post-mortem? He had quite a bellyful of greasy meat ... and GRAIN.

I am also just amazed how closely the native tribes of Siberia resemble native Americans -- they have been separated for 12 - 13,000 YEARS ... and Otzi looks Northern European, without doubt.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They did MRI, CATscan, etc, found he had calcium build up around his heart, maybe some one should have told him to cut back on the grains.

:gossip:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Based on what they've found around him, and his clothing, they're suggesting that he was not fully "hunter-gatherer" but had access to domesticated herds and grains.

(put . after news and before com. I can't post links yet)
news nationalgeographic com/news/2008/08/080821-iceman-clothes.html

·
Registered
460 Posts
It seems reasonable to me that at least some humans were semi-nomadic, following semi-domesticated herds of goats, sheep cattle, reindeer etc... rather than simply either hunter-gathers or "settled". Indeed there are still groups (or at least there were up until recently) which follow this pattern of following/leading the herd to fresh pasture rather than fencing the cattle in and bringing them food.

Reactions: foxl and MCS
1 - 7 of 7 Posts