The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned before... My husband Bobby was diagosed with type 2. Sugar is hovering between 110-120. But he is describing feelings of foggy-ness. And still bouts of low energy. Does this go away?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Like Shanny said. He needs to make extra sure he's neither high nor low.

But if his numbers are good after double-checking, the following might be happening:

-- If he's low-carbing, he may be going through a bout of "Atkins flu."
-- If his numbers have been very high, each step down toward normal may feel weird.

Both conditions are temporary, and can last anywhere from a day to over a week (...yeah...). And they might not go away all at once.

Bobby's very lucky to have you! Hope you're taking care of yourself as well!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone... His sugar has been as low as 70s but his fasting is 120s and going up as high as 140s after meals. Think we should be increasing his carbs? He said he feels like a hangover without he fun the night before! LOL

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It takes several months for your body to adjust from eating a high carb diet to a low carb diet. In a way your body is rebelling. Many of us went through a period where we would feel a bg low even though we were not low. This is natural. How many carbs is your husband eating per meal, now. There are lots of tricks to stay full on low carb. One is to add fat to his diet. He may need to up his calories but not his carbs. Check in our recipe forum for lots of ideas of low carb snacks that keep him full. Also is he getting enough protein at meals. Is he on any meds? Some meds like metformin deplete body of Vitamin B 12, so he may need to take a supplement. I also take a multi vitamin, B 12, Zinc, Calcium, CoQ10 and chromium.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jwags... He's taking b12, d3, magnesium, cinnamin, fish oil omega 3, glucosiumine, and unfotunately unless I track his carbs... He doesnt do it. His meds are glyburide (5mg) and metformin (2000mg) a day. He was originally at 1000 mg a day but doubled after his hemoglobin count. A1C was 13 so now that his BS is averaging much lower... Hoping is gets lower.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Are all carbs created equal????
Short answer - NO.

Some act fast, some slow and just to make it easier, we all react differently. That's why it's important to keep track of what you eat and what effect it has on blood sugar 1 hour and 2 hours after meals. To start with you'll use a lot of test strips, but it's worth it in the long term.

Atkins flu and false hypos will annoy for a while - but they do go away in the end.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts