The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get what's happening here. I finished dinner almost five hours ago, checked my numbers 2 hours after dinner, was a respectable 111. I ate nothing since dinner, except for my nightly string cheese to help prevent liver dumping. That was only 15 minutes ago - just did my bedtime reading and now it's 122! I can't figure out how that happened, how I jumped up 11 points without any carbs or unnecessary stress in the past five hours! This makes no sense. :confused:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
I don't get what's happening here. I finished dinner almost five hours ago, checked my numbers 2 hours after dinner, was a respectable 111. I ate nothing since dinner, except for my nightly string cheese to help prevent liver dumping. That was only 15 minutes ago - just did my bedtime reading and now it's 122! I can't figure out how that happened, how I jumped up 11 points without any carbs or unnecessary stress in the past five hours! This makes no sense. :confused:
Meters can be +\- 20%.

Do not sweat it. However, might want to try to get that number below triple digits

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I hate when that happens!

In my case I suspect I need to get more active after dinner. Will try that. Getting tired of mysteries ... they should stay in books or on screen, where they belong!

Here's to a better tomorrow!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I agree meters aren't exact and with the 20% variable a 111 and a 122 are the same thing. Also I have a feeling that most of us don't have stable bgs throughout the day. If you tested every 10 minutes you would see lots of those ups and downs. Since many type 2's have weakening basal insulin production, it may not react quick enough to bring these little blips down. When I was first dx'd 4 years ago I found lots of those spikes but at 5 hours they were 160-180 or higher. In the morning if I only eat cheese, I find that my bgs still go up. So you also might have been catching a small spike from eating the cheese. When most of us eat , even low carb food we do get a surge of glucose and it may take awhile for our insulin response to kick in. Don't worry about these little blips.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree meters aren't exact and with the 20% variable a 111 and a 122 are the same thing. Also I have a feeling that most of us don't have stable bgs throughout the day. If you tested every 10 minutes you would see lots of those ups and downs. Since many type 2's have weakening basal insulin production, it may not react quick enough to bring these little blips down. When I was first dx'd 4 years ago I found lots of those spikes but at 5 hours they were 160-180 or higher. In the morning if I only eat cheese, I find that my bgs still go up. So you also might have been catching a small spike from eating the cheese. When most of us eat , even low carb food we do get a surge of glucose and it may take awhile for our insulin response to kick in. Don't worry about these little blips.

Wow, I didn't even think of that - so basically, you think the 122 was really a 111, it was just the meter being off? You know, it's really annoying that our meters can't be more accurate, the companies who make them owe it to us to make them as accurate as possible. I mean, how many of us think we have good numbers and in reality, they're not? :mad:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Wow, I didn't even think of that - so basically, you think the 122 was really a 111, it was just the meter being off? You know, it's really annoying that our meters can't be more accurate, the companies who make them owe it to us to make them as accurate as possible. I mean, how many of us think we have good numbers and in reality, they're not? :mad:
Or maybe they're better than we think? Wish I knew for sure. With insulin, I don't want to go cruisin' for a low!

20% is one whale of a variable, and I often forget to factor that in. But then I understand the meter is fairly new tech. Hopefully we'll see refinements soon.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or maybe they're better than we think? Wish I knew for sure. With insulin, I don't want to go cruisin' for a low!

20% is one whale of a variable, and I often forget to factor that in. But then I understand the meter is fairly new tech. Hopefully we'll see refinements soon.
I'm wondering if maybe putting your fingers on either end of the test strip could affect a reading...:confused:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Just for kicks I have tested several fingers at the same time. I will get 3 numbers 20-30 points apart. Of course I always choose the lower number, it makes me feel better. Also things like stress, exercise, moods all can affect your bg reading. The interaction of hormones in our body puts bgs into a constant flux. Sometimes I find if I eat a very small dinner, with not enough fat I will get a spike about 4-5 hours later. You could have also eaten something that digested very slowly and got a later spike. The first time I tried Dreamfields Pasta I got great 2 hour readings - 102, I was so excited. At 4 hours though I was 148 and 5 hours almost 200. So some foods may have a delayed spike. Also if it was a very low carb meal with a lot of protein, part of the protein could have been converted to glucose which usually happens 4-5 hours. So you see there are lots of explanations. How were your morning bgs? If they were normal I wouldn't worry. It is just part of diabetes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for kicks I have tested several fingers at the same time. I will get 3 numbers 20-30 points apart. Of course I always choose the lower number, it makes me feel better. Also things like stress, exercise, moods all can affect your bg reading. The interaction of hormones in our body puts bgs into a constant flux. Sometimes I find if I eat a very small dinner, with not enough fat I will get a spike about 4-5 hours later. You could have also eaten something that digested very slowly and got a later spike. The first time I tried Dreamfields Pasta I got great 2 hour readings - 102, I was so excited. At 4 hours though I was 148 and 5 hours almost 200. So some foods may have a delayed spike. Also if it was a very low carb meal with a lot of protein, part of the protein could have been converted to glucose which usually happens 4-5 hours. So you see there are lots of explanations. How were your morning bgs? If they were normal I wouldn't worry. It is just part of diabetes.

I'm very mad at my meter. :mad:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
A1C > meter

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a month into this now and the accuracy of the meter is definitely one of the frustrations I have, especially for someone like myself who is very scientifically oriented. One thing my nurse told me is to make sure you wash your hands before testing as sugars or other things on your hands can affect the reading.

I've gotten a general feel for where I should be now after meals and do retest if something looks way out there. It is definitely easy to obsess over the numbers. One thing that helped is I'm using 'Ontrack' on my android phone and I focus more on the daily averages then individual readings. The graphical chart with a sharp downward trend over the last month is positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm similarly confused. Yesterday I got home from work and my blood sugar was 104. I went to the health club for a short workout and when I got home I tested at 88. Then went to eat and one hour after eating I was at 108 and an hour after that at 104. All was good. Then three hours later, I'm at 122?? No snacks or anything after supper. What's going on?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm similarly confused. Yesterday I got home from work and my blood sugar was 104. I went to the health club for a short workout and when I got home I tested at 88. Then went to eat and one hour after eating I was at 108 and an hour after that at 104. All was good. Then three hours later, I'm at 122?? No snacks or anything after supper. What's going on?
What did you eat for supper - anything that might have been slow to hit bottom like pizza? Actually, all of your readings from 88 to 122, are within the ±20% variance allowed for meters. Major aggravation, isn't it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts