The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm Frank by name and sometime by nature :p

I see some "old friends" here from my old haunt... a place we shall never speak of again but it has an uncannily similar Forum name :)

52 year old. Father of a wonderful 19 year old son who recently made the Dean's list at his University.

First career was a a Registered Nurse... initially in the British Royal Navy and then in isolated communities on the Labrador coast of Canada. Now I work as a Software Analyst.

Diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome -- Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension, Dyslipidemia, Obesity, Fatty Liver etc... etc... -- in March 2003. I hadn't seen a Doctor in 12 years prior to that, so gawd knows how long I had been developing Diabetes. :eek:

Started early on Insulin: Multiple Daily Injections of basal + bolus (MDI), and then using an Insulin Pump.

Thought I was doing OK. I believe "knowledge is power" so I was researching extensively and an active part of my own health care team but I guess I was swept along by the "mainstream" thinking and it was only after joining that other nameless forum that I first heard about low-carb as an option :eek:

I read Gary Taubes "Good Calories Bad Calories" and immediately realised what I had been doing wrong all that time and why on insulin I had gained over 100lbs in excess fat storage in just the previous 12 months... despite good Blood Glucose (BG) control.

Before I even read Dr Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" or Dr Atkins "New Diet Revolution" I had already gone "cold turkey" and cut everything out of my diet (what I eat) that listed more than 1g Carbohydrate per serving. I lost 25lbs in the first 2 months but more amazingly, for the first time in 25 years I was no longer hungry all the time... as soon as one meal was finished planning for the next.

Meantime in an effort to gain control I had asked my Doctor about Bariatric surgery... and suddenly I found myself short-listed for a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) in a couple of weeks time. I was torn as; I finally felt that the low-carb diet was my key BUT I also knew the VSG would speed along my weight-loss efforts and with the health system in Nova Scotia if I declined now I may never get the surgery offered again. I wish I'd had more time to be sure about the low-carb diet but on balance went ahead with the surgery. I don't regret that decision but it does muddy the water when I try to explain my improved health.

I am now 100lbs lighter than before starting the low-carb diet and the VSG. I am no longer using the insulin pump and my daily insulin total has gone down from a peak of around 130u to just 10u of Levemir each night now.

I am very enthusiastic about the low-carb/high-fat dietary approach, not just for managing Diabetes but because it fits in with what I am convinced is closer to our real natural diet... Real Whole Food.

Cheers
Frank

---

OK , now how do I add a signature?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, you old skunk! I think I've told you this sometime/somewhere before, but it bears repeating - gosh I'm glad to see you! heheh! :D :D :D

The signature thing & other perks come along once you've made five posts, just so you know.

But be warned folks - he truly is very "frank"! :boxing:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shanny :D

I already feel more relaxed :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi! I'm Frank by name and sometime by nature :p

I see some "old friends" here from my old haunt... a place we shall never speak of again but it has an uncannily similar Forum name :)

52 year old. Father of a wonderful 19 year old son who recently made the Dean's list at his University.

First career was a a Registered Nurse... initially in the British Royal Navy and then in isolated communities on the Labrador coast of Canada. Now I work as a Software Analyst.

Diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome -- Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension, Dyslipidemia, Obesity, Fatty Liver etc... etc... -- in March 2003. I hadn't seen a Doctor in 12 years prior to that, so gawd knows how long I had been developing Diabetes. :eek:

Started early on Insulin: Multiple Daily Injections of basal + bolus (MDI), and then using an Insulin Pump.

Thought I was doing OK. I believe "knowledge is power" so I was researching extensively and an active part of my own health care team but I guess I was swept along by the "mainstream" thinking and it was only after joining that other nameless forum that I first heard about low-carb as an option :eek:

I read Gary Taubes "Good Calories Bad Calories" and immediately realised what I had been doing wrong all that time and why on insulin I had gained over 100lbs in excess fat storage in just the previous 12 months... despite good Blood Glucose (BG) control.

Before I even read Dr Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" or Dr Atkins "New Diet Revolution" I had already gone "cold turkey" and cut everything out of my diet (what I eat) that listed more than 1g Carbohydrate per serving. I lost 25lbs in the first 2 months but more amazingly, for the first time in 25 years I was no longer hungry all the time... as soon as one meal was finished planning for the next.

Meantime in an effort to gain control I had asked my Doctor about Bariatric surgery... and suddenly I found myself short-listed for a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG) in a couple of weeks time. I was torn as; I finally felt that the low-carb diet was my key BUT I also knew the VSG would speed along my weight-loss efforts and with the health system in Nova Scotia if I declined now I may never get the surgery offered again. I wish I'd had more time to be sure about the low-carb diet but on balance went ahead with the surgery. I don't regret that decision but it does muddy the water when I try to explain my improved health.

I am now 100lbs lighter than before starting the low-carb diet and the VSG. I am no longer using the insulin pump and my daily insulin total has gone down from a peak of around 130u to just 10u of Levemir each night now.

I am very enthusiastic about the low-carb/high-fat dietary approach, not just for managing Diabetes but because it fits in with what I am convinced is closer to our real natural diet... Real Whole Food.

Cheers
Frank

---

OK , now how do I add a signature?
Welcome Frank! I hope you will feel comfortable here. We are glad to have you as a member. Visit often and share what you want to. Take care.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the warm Welcome breezeonby :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Whew -- Frank! Good to see you ... I will need to visit here more often, clearly!

Hopefully it will be a place where we can express our fantasies about animal fat ...oh, wait ... no. :spider: Where we can describe our SUCCESSES with saturated fat, without fear of reprisal. :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Whew -- Frank! Good to see you ... I will need to visit here more often, clearly!

Hopefully it will be a place where we can express our fantasies about animal fat ...oh, wait ... no. :spider: Where we can describe our SUCCESSES with saturated fat, without fear of reprisal. :D
Frank and Linda - Yay!!!! I'm glad you're here.

Speaking of bacon (weren't we?), in August I'm headed to Canada for an annual retreat to an island in the middle of nowhere. Best part about it? BACONFEST 2010!!!! We do it for breakfast and sometimes dinner just to use up any stores left after the guests have left and our friend, the director of the "resort", and DH and I are the only ones left.

See you later!

Jen

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Frank and Linda - Yay!!!! I'm glad you're here.

Speaking of bacon (weren't we?), in August I'm headed to Canada for an annual retreat to an island in the middle of nowhere. Best part about it? BACONFEST 2010!!!! We do it for breakfast and sometimes dinner just to use up any stores left after the guests have left and our friend, the director of the "resort", and DH and I are the only ones left.

See you later!

Jen
WHAH Hoo!!! Jen is here as well!

Enjoy baconfest! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello my good friends!

I've been lurking over here for awhile. Sure am glad to see you, too.

Oh, you may know me as plattb1 - or, just call me Barrie!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mmmmmm... bacon!

Oh Hi Linda, Jen and Barrie!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Howdy Frank!

The more the merrier i say!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Many thanks ThoseBackPages... it sure is nice to feel so Welcome! :)

Impressive stats in your Signature BTW... Good For You! :cool2:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Many thanks ThoseBackPages... it sure is nice to feel so Welcome! :)

Impressive stats in your Signature BTW... Good For You! :cool2:
Thanks Frank. One day at a time, thats all we've got

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Howdy Frank, I am pleased to see you here! This a growing community and I am enjoying seeing it expand.

I read your story and I feel I know you for the first time. That is one thing about the diabetes sites that have such large memberships. You cannot enjoy the trees because the forest is immense and it is easy to get lost. It is different on a smaller site. We can get to known each other so much better here , sorta up close and personal.

There is a member here who is from Belgium. She is type 1 and recently had a gastric bypass. There are more and more overweight type 1 diabetics having this surgery. Her story is very interesting. Here is her thread:

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/1479-diabetes-type-1-gastric-bypass.html

I hope you will stick with us, your input will be very much appreciated!!

Richard

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome Frank. I guess i'm missing something, as it seems you already know so many people here to be so new.

It was interesting reading of your journey. Good luck with your continued weight loss. I have a few colleagues who have down well after weight-loss surgery, though none are diabetic, which i'm sure presents its own set of challenges.

You and my oldest son would get along famously, as he's a bacon fanatic. The 2 slices I allow him on the occasional weekend just isn't enough for him!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks Richard and Sabrina... yes I am well known to a few of the folks here from another Diabetes Forum ;)

I should add a warning about nitrates and other preservatives in so much commercial bacon... I buy mine from a local Farmer's Market... no nitrates and free-ranged pigs!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nice to meet you Frank! Sorry for the late welcome but I have been out of town a few days :) Looking forward to getting to know you

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Pam! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts