The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy was saying the other night, regarding Thanksgiving, to a woman, "... yeah, I'm gonna eat myself into a diabetic coma."

I shot him a look that would have peeled paint, and he definitely caught it. He is lucky I did not stick a novolog pen into his backside .... do you ever fantasize like that? :eek: I like to think of myself as kind and well-intentioned.

I would have said something like that, myself, 3 short (and long) years ago. But I was asking my husband if he heard it. He assured me, yeah, and he did not even LOOK at me, knowing just how well I would take it.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
My boss makes jokes about diabetics and diabetic comas all the time. For example, we'll be a in meeting for 6 hours straight with no breaks for lunch and he'll say "good thing none of you are diabetic!" ... *facepalm* He usually busts out the "diabetic coma" jokes after eating at the "burritos as big as your head" taco stand.

He's usually a nice guy but I think his understanding of diabetes is pretty minimal to say the least. I try not to take it the wrong way.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UGH. Daytona, I know, I know ... but geez, some people! It is right up there with the "R" word!!!

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Oh I agree 100% with wanting to shove a novalog pen up his petootie! Sorry if that didn't come across. :) It's an insensitive/ignorant thing to say.

·
Registered
370 Posts
People just need to Lighten Up and quit being SOOOOO sensitive about everything.:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Geez Tim stop being soooooo sensitive about Foxl and I being sooo sensitive. :D hehe HAPPY TURKEY DAY!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a laundry list of demographics in my house -- 4 races, 2 kinds of Diabetes, 2 learning disabilities (OH, and boy, people think those are made up, and the kids are just spoiled??? Spend a DAY in my house -- ONE DAY). Unemployment is another one. My husband is just supposed to "take a bath and get a job," now.

So, yeah, my hot buttons get pushed fairly frequently, I absolutely admit it.

Happy Thanksgiving, Tim, and I hope you do not develop any hot buttons ...

·
Registered
561 Posts
The Dominick's here in Chicago was doing a diabetes screening right inside the entrance. I was in the Starbucks near the entrance, so I could overhear all the conversations going on at the table. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, until the screener said to an employee, "Hey, you want to get your blood sugar tested?" The employee responded, "Hah, no, I'm not fat. I don't need to get my blood sugar tested."

Ugh, I was pretty disgusted.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Some people doesnt know much about diabetes.
I used to be one of them, so I cant blame people I meet if they dont know diabetes is one of the results of how the humans has been eating for generations.
And for me this means no-one is to feel embarrassed if they get diabetes. Today it is in our DNA thanks to what not only we have eaten, but what our ancestors have been eaten.
We just have to live with the result of our governments advice about how to eat.

Some people doesnt realize that diabetes is an serious illness. But if they get it themself or someone they care for, they will understand.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Diabetes is a misunderstood disease, it does not really help the media demonising people with the illness and portraying it as self inflicted. It’s very much a case of go sit on the naughty step with the smokers, alcoholics and drug users .
The reality is much more complex

All we can do is ignore it and curse under our breath if we hear anything dumb :p

·
Registered
206 Posts
and portraying it as self inflicted
And even if it was... I wouldn't throw the first stone. This disease is simply awful. No one 'deserves' this. I hope one day we'll be able to refer to diabetes as a disease that has been eradicated from the planet.

I often hear comments with 'diabetic coma' in them. I really don't like it. If they only knew.....!

The worse I was told : I was on insulin during my last pregnancy. Some family members called me the junkie. They thought it was hilarious. It was very hurtful.

Reactions: Strawberry and foxl
1 - 12 of 12 Posts