The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, this seems so foreign to me and I don't know what to do. I know the obvious of no sugar, but all this no white stuff. Can someone please help to make this clear. When I look on a package, what is the numbers that I am looking for under sugar and carbohydrates? this would be helpful. I have read many of your posts and feel a bit more encouraged, glad I stumbled on this site. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Well, I'd suggest you read a great book by Dr. Richard Bernstein called The Diabetes Solution for detailed info, but meanwhile try Blood Sugar 101 for more info...just google it...

I try to keep my BG under control with diet and so I suggest to begin keeping your total carb count under a 100 or less (I eat about 30). I don't eat anything that's white but cauliflower, cheeses,yogurt. No mixes or other processed foods. I read labels and buy those that are the lowest I can find...like tomato sauce, etc. You really don't need to worry about the sugar, just see what carbohydrate count is.

Ask all the questions you need and I hope this helped a bit. Also, you are on the right track reading our messages on the board.

Good luck,

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It's a lot more than skip the "white stuff". A diabetic has problems with all carbs. That means fruits, pasta - white or brown, rice, bread- white or brown, all things made with flour, even non gluten grains will cause a bg spike. You want to look at the label . Take the total carbs and subtract the fiber. You want that number as low as possible. I try to keep my meals under 10 carbs, breakfast is usually under 5 carbs. Many of us have a carb counting book that gives us the values of everything even a lot of restaurants. This book is a life saver. I second the recomendation for Dr Bernsteins book.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Jwags, of course it is more, but for a start, that's pretty simple. Sorry if I made it too simple. That was just the first step I took and that helped simplify until I learned more.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, I wrote you a wall of text over on the fasting thread, so rather than rewrite, I'll just post the link to it . . . :D :D :D Obviously, we think a lot alike around here - I promise we didn't compare notes before responding to your posts! ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi All, this seems so foreign to me and I don't know what to do. I know the obvious of no sugar, but all this no white stuff. Can someone please help to make this clear. When I look on a package, what is the numbers that I am looking for under sugar and carbohydrates? this would be helpful. I have read many of your posts and feel a bit more encouraged, glad I stumbled on this site. Thanks in advance.
Welcome prebollar, and I'm glad to decided to take control. As others have said - pick up on every word that Dr. Berstein has to say. A lot of things he says about low carb might seem very extreme - but keep the faith - you WILL lose craving for carbs on that diet. I laughed out real loud (my wife can attest to that), when I read about him suggesting 30grams of carbs a day. It was impossible. But after 5 weeks, I have to *remember* to eat my carbs because I can end up getting close to zero (while our bodies do not need any carbs, I want to get those 30 carbs from green whole plant vegetables for phytonutrients).

You will realize that we have been eating in a lop-sided manner all our lives, but all it takes is a few days/weeks of strong will (in my case 5 days!), to get rid of this "addiction" for fast-acting carbs, and feel great and in control!

Best

Sufee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts