Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
See below for simplified low-carb version:

1 tbsp. butter
1 - 1½ tbsp. flour (optional by all means) *
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. tabasco sauce
1½ cups water (don't use the water unless you use the flour)
2 cups oysters & liqueur
1½ cups heavy cream

Combine butter, flour, salt & tabasco in soup kettle over moderate heat; blend together until smooth & cook it a minute or two.

Add water & oysters; blend well & continue stirring while mixture heats and thickens slightly.

Add cream and reduce heat. Stew improves if it sets a little longer after warming & before serving, but do not allow to boil.

* When using heavy cream, there's no need for thickener. And there's no need for the water either, if you don't use thickener. I was copying my old recipe from before "D" days.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How could I forget?! Oyster Stew is de rigueur tomorrow night! Got too wrapped up in Tuesday's cauli-mashies & prime rib - forgot about the Eve meal. Must run to town for the oysters. :eek:

(You'll just have to google this tradition . . . all I know is Mom always made it, and she was second generation out of Ireland)

·
Registered
409 Posts
mmmm thanks for posting. I will try this version for sure. I am guessing you subbed the water in for what most would use milk? I love oyster stew.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
You have oysters Christmas Eve too? Awesome! We've had fried fresh oysters for Christmas Eve ever since I was a kid. I eat really low carb around the Christmas meals so I can enjoy the breading on the oysters and other treats. When we combined with inlaws we added tortiere. LOL! Oysters and tortiere, nothing says Christmas like that...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Y'know, I should edit out that business with the water since I explained the flour thing. I never put water in mine, but in the beginning I was using diluted cream for milk in a lot a recipes, and this woulda been one of those. So just ignore the flour & water both - pour in all the heavy cream you want & go from there!

(and I'll get busy editing . . .
)

And Tiger? Tell us more about tourtière - this is the first I've known of it! My first mother-in-law always made fried oysters wrapped in bacon . . . I could do that & not have to worry about breading. OMG! I'm getting in the holiday spirit! About damn time, wouldn't you say?!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Shanny said:
Y'know, I should edit out that business with the water since I explained the flour thing. I never put water in mine, but in the beginning I was using diluted cream for milk in a lot a recipes, and this woulda been one of those. So just ignore the flour & water both - pour in all the heavy cream you want & go from there!

(and I'll get busy editing . . . )

And Tiger? Tell us more about tourtière - this is the first I've known of it! My first mother-in-law always made fried oysters wrapped in bacon . . . I could do that & not have to worry about breading. OMG! I'm getting in the holiday spirit! About damn time, wouldn't you say?!
Oh my goodness I love Oysters! But it is the only seafood that I eat that literally makes me sick within minutes of eating them no matter how they are cooked :(

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Simplified lower-carb version:

2 or 3 cans whole oysters
2 or 3 tbsp. butter
1 scant tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. tabasco sauce or to taste
3 or 4 cups heavy cream

Combine oysters/liqueur, butter, salt & tabasco in saucepan over moderate heat; blend together & cook a minute or two.

Add cream and reduce heat; warm to serving temperature.

Stew improves if it sets a little longer after warming & before serving, but do not allow to boil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts