The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else experiences higher BGLs when/if they have pain/injuries?

I injured my back last week and have been walking around like I am 102 yrs old... in a lot of pain, eatting Advil like it's going to be discontinued. Since I hurt my back I have not been able to maintain normal BGLs. As a matter of fact, they are higher than they have ever been and of course it's kind of stressing me out, since I was just told how great I was doing.

I have been reducing my carbs even more but nothing seems to help... I havent resorted to going back on metformin but I wonder if I should while I am in pain.

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I Googled blood sugar and pain, and the general consensus seems to be that pain can increase bg levels.

This is what bloodsugar101 has to say about diabetics using Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, etc. Can your doctor prescribe a safer pain killer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I am having the same issues as mentioned here, so I figured it's time to revive it. :cool:

A few days ago, I wrenched my shoulder somehow -- who knows how. Probably while shoveling the boatload of snow that the skies have seen fit to dump all over our yard? Anyway...

When the pain started, my blood sugars went up a bit, but not much. They were still pretty well within the range I expected. But then I took ibuprofen, the recommended OTC dose. Within an hour after that my blood sugars skyrocketed. I went from a nice, shiny 130 on the meter to 290.

Since then, anytime I take ibuprofen, the blood sugars act like I just mainlined carbs. So obviously I can't keep taking that. Aleve and Tylenol, same thing.

I asked my endo's nurse, and she said that more than likely, any pain meds will drive my blood sugar up and I will have to adjust accordingly. But that's a LOT of insulin to adjust, and I hate to make a choice between being pain-free and having in-range blood sugars. At this point I am just toughing it out without any meds, but I'm curious -- is there any sort of OTC drug that perhaps works in a different way, and won't drive up my blood sugar? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
I cannot take any of the usual OTC pain killers (allergic reactions). But I can take aspirin. When I had foot surgery I took it daily for several weeks. During that time my BG was 10-20 pts LOWER. Apparently this is a typical result with aspirin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

I haven't tried aspirin for the pain...after all the highs I just assumed it would fall into the same category as all the other OTC drugs in terms of sending my blood sugar up. The next time the pain flares up, I will give it a try and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts