Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any thoughts on a Paleo diet

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Any thoughts on a Paleo diet
Most paleo diet plans out there rely on things like honey or agave for sweeteners. Some even will use potatoes and others grains. I saw one the other day on Facebook for a "paleo burrito". Lol. Really?

There are some good things with paleo, just like with Atkins. There are some bad things as well. You just need to figure out what works best for your plan and incorporate those meals/dishes/recipes.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yeah Paleo seems great on the surface, and for healthy ppl, but watch out how they venture into carbs.

Also a lot of them take Paleo "rules" as a challenge, (esp bloggers) and seem determined to bend those rules as far as they can, I mean, Paleo desserts are wonderful, but ... watch out.

Even Mark's Daily Apple sells "products," sadly. He's Primal, meaning some dairy products are permitted -- along with his whey protein! Sigh. He is an interesting one to follow, in any case.

Just don't take the "Rules" too seriously, nor veer too far away from them, I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I think there are good ideas worth considering but would recommend avoiding the blogs and cookbooks for the reasons others have already stated. Stick with the diet that is working to control your blood sugar. Then if you are still experiencing any issues (perhaps digestion issues, autoimmune, skin conditions, etc) it's always worth a try to eliminate common foods which can make these worse such as gluten, dairy, nightshades, etc. I found out that I have celiac that way, who knew crippling pain in the bathroom wasn't normal? *shrug*

But no matter what you do, realize that paleo is simply a template for evaluating how foods affect your health. It is not prescriptive when it comes to macronutrient ratios, i.e. "low-carb". Some people are ketogenic, others low-carb, some are athletes and are eating 200+g a day. You need to think for yourself and decide how you want to structure your diet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts