The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got referred to this website on another forum. It is a blog by a neurosurgeon who has taken upon himself to change his way of eating and his patients. There is a lot on this website that may apply to diabetics.

www.jackkruse.com

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Is Jack officially "paleo"? I thought he agrees with many paleo ideas (a la Mark Sisson, Robb Wolf, Loren Cordain, etc) but has his own very distinct diet prescription.

I have tried a few times to read and understand his message. I think there is some really good information on his site but I had a hard time gleaning it from his posts. Some of the best info is actually in the comments. He has made a point of answering EVERYONE'S questions, which is appreciated and a huge task.

For example, I read his post on The Leptin Reset which made certain protein recommendations, e.g. 50g for breakfast (which I tried but couldn't stick to for various reasons). I have the feeling that if I had made the investment of time/brain power to carefully go through his subsequent posts and all of the comments, maybe I would have had better success.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this other than a) I think there is great info on his site and b) I wasn't sure I was really getting it all due to how it was presented.

If anyone has tried his leptin reset, I would be very interested in how you went about applying it and your results.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Gosh there are a lot of familiar people who like him! He is interesting, but he does use a lot of rather off-putting symbolic language. Levees? Uhhhhm, please. A metaphor is only good if it is not overextended!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had a hard time reading it too, but it is nice to see another doctor who thinks a lot of our modern diseases are due to our Standard American Diet. I don't know if he is 100% Paleo or not. There are so many different Paleo versions. I don't consider myself 100% either because I do bake LC, which I doubt is used in 100% Paleo diets. I haven't read all his blogs but I am going to try to work through his site.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I hope you will share, Jeanne, 'cause I have tried to read him and I find him way too difficult (convoluted?) for me to read. He's not that clear in his writing style.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope you will share, Jeanne, 'cause I have tried to read him and I find him way too difficult (convoluted?) for me to read. He's not that clear in his writing style.
I'll do my best. I did like his page on supplements for a paleo diet. He really emphasized supplements to build up the cell mitochondria. I have been taken some of the things he mentioned but some were new to me.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I got referred to this website on another forum. It is a blog by a neurosurgeon who has taken upon himself to change his way of eating and his patients. There is a lot on this website that may apply to diabetics.

Home | JackKruse.com - Jack Kruse
Jwags, thanks for posting this link. I went there and perused through Dr. Kruse's site. I have liked him on Facebook with a question pertaining to the Leptin issue and diabetes and the dawn phenomenon. I will let you guys know if he responds.

Keeping fingers crossed that perhaps this might help me! Thanks for brightening my day today and giving me hope that there is something I might be able to do to help jump start this system of mine to be even better! Hugs!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm down 36 lbs in 10 weeks on Dr. Kruse's Leptin Reset.

He just dropped a bomb in two blog posts, regarding adapting oneself to cold.

This is why diabetics die early. The ACCORD Trial data just showed this. No matter the treatment diabetics get they die 6 years earlier. Change the channel in your head now. If you live within the cold of winter the ancient pathway reverses you metabolic derangement and it confers health and longevity. This is 180 degrees opposite, what a diabetic faces. If you want an optimal life you must live with in the confines of this pathway at all times. This process is a life saver for a diabetic.

Cold adaptation pt. I

Cold adaptation pt II

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Congrats on the weight drop, TNDad!

I really hope someone comes along willing to summarize the Cold Adaptation - it's more than my meager mind can process. Mostly what I (think I) got out of it, is that Jeanne, who lives in Ohio and keeps her house temp at approximately freezing (55-60 degrees F; 13-15 C) just might live forever.

Reactions: Patdart and Shanny

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, he might be a neurosurgeon but he writes like a nut case.
Agreed. I give him a pass on that since he isn't hawking anything (aside from his wife's $12 cookbook).

A couple of Harvard docs came to the same conclusion and cashed in, inventing

So until he asks me to open my wallet, I'm game.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on the weight drop, TNDad!

I really hope someone comes along willing to summarize the Cold Adaptation - it's more than my meager mind can process. Mostly what I (think I) got out of it, is that Jeanne, who lives in Ohio and keeps her house temp at approximately freezing (55-60 degrees F; 13-15 C) just might live forever.
Thanks, Moon! :)

Here's my 2-cent summary:

Mammals are programmed to have two metabolisms - one for the warm season, one for cold. When in "winter mode", a mammal burns fat for energy, not glucose/carbs.

Most modern humans never switch from warm adaptation because:
1. we control the temperature of our (what should be seasonal) environment
2. we control the amount of light in our (what should be seasonal) environment.

Dr. Kruse's method is basically to trick our nervous system to switch into cold adaptation.

Step 1: get your diet right (Paleo) + O6/O3 less than 10:1

Step 2a: eat a big protein/fat meal
Step 2b: drink 16-32oz (no more) of ice cold water
Step 2c: sink/pot full of ice water, (50ºF to 55ºF). Hold face in water as long as you can stand it. If you can tolerate the cold long enough to have to come up for air, graduate to step 3.

FYI: Skin temp should never fall below 55ºF; (rosy pink = ok, pale pink = time to stop).

Step 3: wearing a compression shirt, hold 20-40lb bags of ice on your torso...starting at 5min, working your way up to 60min over the course of a couple weeks. (again, important to monitor skin color).

Step 4: In tub with cold tap-water...working up to 60min per session

Step 5: same as step 5 but add bags of ice as in step 3. Wear gloves/socks/knit cap at first. Stop if ever lightheaded, skin color, etc.

Looks to me that this process would take a month or two. Dr K says he maintains by doing cold-training 3-4 times a week for 45-60min.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
FYI: Skin temp should never fall below 55ºF; (rosy pink = ok, pale pink = time to stop).
I have trouble right now where my toes/fingers are 20+ degrees colder than the rest of me. They get blue/purple and the temp isn't even as low as 55 degrees. If they were 55 degrees, I would head to a hospital... I guess what I'm saying is that if I can barely tolerate 65-70 degrees as a skin temp, I don't see how 55 is acceptable...

Thanks for the summary! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Thanks for the summary, TNDad. It has convinced me that giving up 6 years of my life is a small price to pay not to have to do that regimen.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I also tried to wade through the information, but found it very hard going. But then again I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp either :) My late Aunt, who was secretary to the President of a large company once told me "when writing information you want someone else to understand - Keep it simple!"

I was actually disappointed because I am interested in Paleo Diet and wanted to learn more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts