The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris Kresser wrote a nice post on his blog on using the Paleo diet for Diabetes, if you can forgive his use of "preventing or reversing type 2" verbiage.

Personally, I like the Paleo approach combined with low carb, because, as he points out, it addresses whole food nutrition, sleep, movement, and gut flora. For me, Paleo is somewhat of a no-brainer. I eat to the meter, but the foods I eat are whole organic/pastured, and natural (in the sense that they are not processed--not because a label proclaims them to be "natural"), and I avoid the foods that are generally not part of the Paleo template--namely grains, legumes and (most but not all ) dairy. But I also eat low carb, so I'm not using any so-called natural sugars that are popular in the Paleosphere (coconut sugar, maple syrup, honey, etc.), I'm avoiding starchy tubers for the most part, and severely limiting fruit.

Kresser has been mixed on the concept of low carb, and you can see in his comments that his readers are a mixed bag (including the poor lady with breast cancer who thinks using the My Plate method with 1/4 of the plate as starches including bread "reversed" her diabetes--she does not recognize that cancer feeds on SUGAR which her 1/4 plate starches turn into).

I just read Kresser's book and didn't find anything very new or different in it, but if you are new to Paleo you might find it useful.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My diet is also inspired by Paleo, but strict lowcarb and without grains, soya, eggwhites, nuts, almonds, all dairyproducts, shellfish and some fish-types.
My diet is "homemade" and approved by my nutrition-nurse and is created to give me all I need but still be lowcarb enough.
I do for example eat berries or a slice of fruit every day and can use a tiny amount of honey if I need it without freaking out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Optimist I'm curious as to why no almonds? Part of paleo recommendations? An allergy? Carb count? Thanks and regards.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Optimist I'm curious as to why no almonds? Part of paleo recommendations? An allergy? Carb count? Thanks and regards.
I had the same question about egg whites.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I`m allergic to all the food listed :(

·
Registered
356 Posts
Paleo has a lot in common with low carb/high fat. My wife has been awesome in supporting me on lchf and we've both gone through a big learning curve on what to buy and what not to buy. My personal feeling is that I want to do what I can to eat food that helps my bg, but I don't want to be militant to the point of driving my wife crazy. I eat no fruit, bread, grains, milk, and I eat very little processed foods unless my meter says I can. I eat less than 40 carbs a day and my fbg has been in the 90's the last two weeks.

Reactions: VeeJay

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
To me, Dr. Kresser is like Dr. Mercola is like Dr. Fung is like the doctors Jaminet is like...... Come to think of, I don't actually accept what anyone says without doing further research and n=1 testing.

But they all give me ideas to research, and I don't automatically accept anything they say.

Whole foods, organic or otherwise close to what nature intended - yes. Definitely yes.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Most all of the Docs promoting their healthy plans have good ideas, some great. A few use their ideas to lead you to purchase their wares. This is where I start to question their ultimate motives.

Kresser did help me with info in a blog regarding increasing levels of BG while intermittent fasting while in ketosis. This is why, while fasting my BG would go higher not lower, so I don't do it any more.

·
Banned
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wise person picks and chooses information that applies to him or her, does n=1 experiments, and independent research. There's nobody online I would say I follow 100%. The person who comes the closest, IMHO, is Andreas Enefeldt. He keeps his message simple and has the clinical experience to back up his claims. The ones I quibble with most are the ones who are primarily researchers. They can have all the theories in the world they want, but it's clear that they don't live in the real world.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I believe more in Dr. Eenfeldt too . . . anyone who trusts his program enough that he feeds it to his children is top-notch in my book. And his wife also ate LCHF during her pregnancies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts