Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just played with my pancake recipe:

1/4c Almond flour
1/8c Whey Protein Powder
1/8c Vital Wheat Gluten
1tsp baking powder
1tbsp cinnamon (I hear this is good for us diabetics)
1pkt splenda/equal/whatever sweetener you like

1egg
Splash of milk (enough to get the batter the right consistency)

Mix/sift dry ingredients well, then add the egg and milk. Makes 3-4 small pancakes. Much better texture/taste then some others I've played with. Getting pretty close to what mom used to make.

Very low carb. I top them with a little butter and Walden Farms maple syrup. You could also do fruit or something in them.

Reactions: Bugg

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wife made pancakes the other day. Instead of buttering my cakes with butter I used Coconut Oil. Tasted pretty good.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm going to try this beefy... I have a pancake mix however it called for 4 eggs. It was good but tasted more like French toast than pancakes.

I also used a no sugar added syrup but still high in carbs... Where did you find the Walden Farms maple syrup.

bugg:Dpancakes rule

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought my syrup at a store up here called "Diabetic Depot" ... it's more-expensive than online places, but it's local and has everything I need in one-stop, so I don't mind the premium.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This pancake base makes nice little shortcakes too. I deleted the cinnamon, but otherwise made the same recipe. Using two tbsp batter per cake, I got eight wee shortcakes & we used two shortcakes per serving. Smothered them with whipped cream & sliced sweetened strawberries - in between & piled high on top.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Low carb pancakes and waffles are truely comfort foods. I use the Walden Farms, 0 carb syrup. Strawberry is my favortie. I like to make extras and pop in the Freezer so I can just reheat in the micorwave.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Low carb pancakes and waffles are truely comfort foods. I use the Walden Farms, 0 carb syrup. Strawberry is my favortie. I like to make extras and pop in the Freezer so I can just reheat in the micorwave.
Comfort is EXACTLY what we were needing today . . . last night's storms wrecked our tomato patches & a smattering of hail tore big holes in our tuberous begonias' leaves. :( I just feel so bad for my better half who puts SO much time & effort into growing everything from seed & babying every tiny plant until it's strong enough to go out to the garden. And then Mother Nature comes stomping through . . . :mad:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I tweaked these again today, by omitting both the cinnamon & the sweetener. Fried 'em in coconut oil as usual, & used butter as usual. The other different thing I did was stir a little brown sugar substitute into some cream & used that for syrup. I may never go back to "maple" - it was SO good!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Shanny said:
I tweaked these again today, by omitting both the cinnamon & the sweetener. Fried 'em in coconut oil as usual, & used butter as usual. The other different thing I did was stir a little brown sugar substitute into some cream & used that for syrup. I may never go back to "maple" - it was SO good!
What do you use for a brown sugar substitute? I haven't had pancakes for ages. I like your cream sauce :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What do you use for a brown sugar substitute? I haven't had pancakes for ages. I like your cream sauce :)
The one I use is Ideal Brown No Calorie Sweetener, but keep in mind it still contains maltodextrin, as most sweetener blends do, to make it measure out like regular sugar, and maltodextrin can spike you. My saving grace is that I use very little of it - and a little goes a long way!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Shanny said:
The one I use is Ideal Brown No Calorie Sweetener, but keep in mind it still contains maltodextrin, as most sweetener blends do, to make it measure out like regular sugar, and maltodextrin can spike you. My saving grace is that I use very little of it - and a little goes a long way!
I need to understand this better and I know you may have the answer. How does a no calorie sweetener like the one you mentioned or aspartame spike you. I can see them causing a release of insulin but they are not a carbohydrate that gets oxidized in your muscles for energy. I tried researching Aspartame a little but did not come up with much on how it impacts BG.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Can't help much on aspartame since I don't use it, but the powdered sweeteners like Spenda (sucralose) & others often have maltodextrin mixed with the sweetener to bulk it up - increase the volume. That way it measures just like regular sugar, spoonful for spoonful. I just buy the liquid version of these sweeteners, which don't have anything added to increase the volume.

Maltodextrin is derived from starch. What in the World is Maltodextrin?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I gave this a try with some minor modification
1/4 cup of each rolled oats, iso whey, almond flour, flax meal
2 eggs + tablespoon baking powder + cinnamon + 1 package Stevia
Tasted like buckwheat pancakes. Used zero sugar Desert yogurt as topping
Made lots of cakes and filled me up pretty good.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Beefy? You & this recipe saved my reputation today & I thank you from the bottom of my li'l black heart. :D My everlovin' wakened this morning starved for pancakes & admitted he'd BEEN starvin for 'em the last 3 or 4 days (he's been loosely following Atkins). Sez I, if you can accept a low-carb pancake, I think I can help. Y'think you can even accept a low-carb syrup, I can help with that too.

He was so desperate he agreed! heehee So I fixed these pancakes & even gave him the sweetened cream on 'em, and now he's sittin' here drinking his coffee, full to the gills & pleased as punch.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...So I fixed these pancakes & even gave him the sweetened cream on 'em, and now he's sittin' here drinking his coffee, full to the gills & pleased as punch.
Awesome!

I think I'm going to make a few up and put them in the fridge so I can just grab 'em and use them like toaster-pancakes when in a hurry, LOL...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I knew it was a big mistake to 'click' on to this thread because I love pancakes, and it has been ages since I've had any! Even with insulin to cover the carb content, pancakes are plain mean to my BG. I might stop at the store tomorrow and pick up the ingredients for these creations :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Here is the nutritional breakdown: I use 1/2 cup of almond milk as the liquid, but otherwise the same measurements Beefy posted. I like my batter pretty thin so it spreads out into a thin pancake which LOOKS like an ordinary pancake, so I can eke out about five instead of four.

per pancake: 1 fifth of recipe
calories: 95
calories from fat: 43
total fat: 5g
saturated fat: 1g
trans fat: 0g
cholesterol: 62mg
sodium: 168mg
total carbs: 3g
dietary fiber: 1g
sugars: 1g
protein: 11g
vitamin A: 2%
vitamin C: 0%
calcium: 15%
iron: 5%
also a good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Pantothenic Acid, and Magnesium, and a very good source of Riboflavin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts