The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have hereditary acute, recurrent, and chronic pancreatic disease. Born with the congenital birth defect pancreas divisum, which is symptomatic, combined with tiny ducts, and sphincter of oddi contraction problems. I am negative for celiac disease (if that's helpful information). I have been hypoglycemic most of my life. Over the last few years My pancreas has been burning out, so about 9-10 months ago I began testing my bg. I noticed I was hyperglycemic during the morning/fasting level, then before lunch I was hypoglycemic, and my levels would bounce like this thru the day with before:after meal bg changes having differences of 40 - 50. My a1c was 5.9, then 6.1. Is it possible I've been (approaching) brittle diabetic, or is this normal for gestational, type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

I admit I went a period of time without checking for many personal reasons and I know there is no real good excuse; I just didn't want to have to worry about something else with my life/health. Recently I started monitoring again. My disease has reached the disabling stage so my diet is mostly nutritional liquids; I try to eat one solid meal a day. I have noticed my fasting & pre-meal bg #'s are above 100 (even if I do not have any meal, liquid or solid, and test anywhere between 5-8pm). Is this normal? Is this a sign of t2 or t1 diabetes?

My fecal pancreatic elastase test came back below 100 and I can tell from my amylase and lipase numbers that they continue to diminish; when combined with the scarring of my pancreas these effect/destroy my beta cells. My doctor said I would more than likely end up t1.

Thank you for your help!
IC

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't help you with your questions but I find your story interesting. Have you always known you had the pancreatic disease? How would one find out about that or be diagnosed?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Sounds like something that does "burn out" your pancreas eventually. I am not familiar with that particular pancreas disease....but constant hypoglycemia leads me to believe that your beta cells are constantly over producing insulin, which does eventually cause them to "burn out" sometimes. Keep monitoring your blood sugars and follow your dr instructions to the best of your ability would be my advice. I am a long time T2 diabetic that has experienced beta cell burn out. Mine no longer function normally from years over use. So I know at least that part can happen.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you are doing :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts