Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

pancress

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  patty.q 
#1 ·
Hi I am new here and wanted to see if anyone has the same problem I have, six years ago I had a mass on my pancress, they removed the tail and body of it after a year I became diabetic. They have now put me on lantus and novolog,my a1c is 10.3 I am afraid to use the novolog because some times my pancress is making inslun and I drop down into the low50s. Is there anything I can take after I eat.

#2 ·
I am not a doctor so I can't give you any advice like that. I would say that I strongly recommend that you talk with Endocrinologist who specializes in Diabetes if you have one now, maybe consider choosing another. I tell my doctor everything, I don't act like I am doing good when I am not etc etc.

#3 ·
You need to be testing before you eat to see where you are at. Next you need to count carbs and you need to know your carb ratio and your correction factor, all of this is important. I suggest you read Using Insulin by John Walsh. Most T2 still make some insulin.

#4 ·
Your first priority should be getting that A1c much lower. If you can reduce the 10.3 to 8.0 by the end of the year, you will be much less likely to have diabetes related complications. If you can eventually drop below 6.5 you will be in great shape.

I understand your concern about dropping too low while your pancreas is producing insulin. If you test frequently and always have something, like glucose tablets, with you then you can prevent the lows from becoming a big problem. You should be able to tell when you are dropping low, and you should always test at those times. After experimenting enough, you will know exactly what to do to keep from having any serious problems due to lows.

You should eat something at bedtime to avoid lows while sleeping. I hope you have someone with you at night, in case you do have a low.

Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.