The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a film-fest and two of the movies I just watched were 'Panic Room' and 'Derailed' and I noticed that both plots involved kids with Type 1 Diabetes - and to the EXTREME. Not being Type 1, I know little about it, but I can't imagine these Hollywood portrayals can be authentic.

In Panic Room, the kid wears this watch-type meter that measures bg (is that a real thing?) and at one point - mind you, the kid is under severe stress, being chased through a house and locked in a vault - the reading says '57' yet she's perfectly fine, I would've thought that'd send her into a coma! Then when she finally does crash, she doesn't just pass out, she has a full on convulsion on the floor.

Then, in Derailed, the kid is hooked up to a home dialysis machine and some experimental surgery is supposed to cost so much that the family in the movie has to mortgage their house to pay for it.

I also remember an episode from the 80's show 'Night Court' where Roz, the gruff court bailiff is diagnosed with diabetes and she ends up on the ledge of a building because she "can't have cheesecake anymore".

It's Hollywood so we know they over-dramatize everything, but I'm kinda tired of diabetes being the go-to disease when you want to terrify an audience. :mad:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hit 50's and below alot but it's never put me in a coma *knock on wood*. However I am far from fine I can't hardly function and I've heard some few do have seizures with extremely low levels. Of course like you said they do over dramatize it often.
I really hate it when in not understanding the disease many think just because you're levels appear under control you're perfectly fine because most certainly that is not always the case.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Terror sells movies not the reality that diabetes can kill us slowly from the inside out sometimes taking years to kill us-that wouldn't sell. The truth about diabetes and it's complications is far more ugly than shown on movies. I got a friend 79 years old who has diabetes who did everything right, kept his a1c below 6 and 2 years ago had to have his right leg amputated below his knee because of an infection that started in his big toe and never healed. Thats reality not the bs they show on movies.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Actually the movie is very real to life and I have lived through that more than once. Yes it is possibel when you are completely hypounaware to just walk and act normal and do normal things until you pass out in a grand mal seisure. I have bitten trough my toung twice and dislocated my jaw once having seisures. The movie is real and not at sensationalized.

G

·
I haven't seen either movie as yet. I wouldn't be surprised though if there is a bit of over dramatisation in there. But as Adjitator has mentioned it probably is real for some people... especially with hypo unawareness. I've been as low as 3.3 (59) on my meter... but I think I have been lower than that though as I've had slurred speech a few times before. The other thing is that everyone does tend to experience different hypo symptoms... someone I know reckons they can only tell they're having hypo because their stomach goes numb.... they've tested and they've been as low as 1mmoL or something which is outright dangerous. But luckily they've got the numb stomach to pick it up. I'm one of those people that experiences just about all the symptoms I think... which helps me recognise and treat it quick. Although I have to say that when I'm sitting down I haven't noticed until I've stood up (did that a few times). I haven't seen many movies with diabetes in it actually. I saw a food show the other night where they were saying that people LA eat wrong and they're getting diabetes as a result... same old if you eat wrong story you'll get diabetes which isn't completely true. I think that annoys me the most, the incorrect advice given to the public about what diabetes actually is and what are the precursors to it.... it's not just food and inactivity.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't seen either movie as yet. I wouldn't be surprised though if there is a bit of over dramatisation in there. But as Adjitator has mentioned it probably is real for some people... especially with hypo unawareness. I've been as low as 3.3 (59) on my meter... but I think I have been lower than that though as I've had slurred speech a few times before. The other thing is that everyone does tend to experience different hypo symptoms... someone I know reckons they can only tell they're having hypo because their stomach goes numb.... they've tested and they've been as low as 1mmoL or something which is outright dangerous. But luckily they've got the numb stomach to pick it up. I'm one of those people that experiences just about all the symptoms I think... which helps me recognise and treat it quick. Although I have to say that when I'm sitting down I haven't noticed until I've stood up (did that a few times). I haven't seen many movies with diabetes in it actually. I saw a food show the other night where they were saying that people LA eat wrong and they're getting diabetes as a result... same old if you eat wrong story you'll get diabetes which isn't completely true. I think that annoys me the most, the incorrect advice given to the public about what diabetes actually is and what are the precursors to it.... it's not just food and inactivity.
Well, actually the point I was making is that it seems diabetes is an easy disease to pick on. People grow up hearing 'don't eat too much sugar, you'll get 'the diabetes'!' It's become so predictable now that anytime a kid is deathly ill in a movie, I just think, 'Oh look out, it'll be diabetes, I bet' and it usually is. I'm not sure why Hollywood doesn't pick on cancer - at least that you can't control.

That being said, is there actually some sort of watch-like device that you wear on your wrist and it measures bg's? I'm wondering if they made that part up. Oh, and here's the real kicker of Panic Room: when the kid starts convulsing, the mom has to run down a long hall to her bedroom where there's a mini-fridge with the insulin in it. I mean, DUH, wouldn't you put the mini-fridge in the KID'S room since she's the one who needs it??? Hollyweird. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
when the kid starts convulsing, the mom has to run down a long hall to her bedroom where there's a mini-fridge with the insulin in it. I mean, DUH, wouldn't you put the mini-fridge in the KID'S room since she's the one who needs it??? Hollyweird. :rolleyes:
The weird part is actually why would she go for insulin when the child is convulsing from being too low? Isn't orange juice called for here? :confused:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The weird part is actually why would she go for insulin when the child is convulsing from being too low? Isn't orange juice called for here? :confused:
I actually recall her grabbing the insulin bag with the syringe in it and what looked like a little carton of something to drink, so maybe they actually got it right for a change!

I'd like to see the Night Court episode though, just to see how they talked about diabetes in the 80's - there had to be so much more misinformation back then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There still is alot of misinformation out there and alot of preconcieved notions about diabetics. Hollywood isn't know for reserching very well most times and for the most part they do over dramatize most things. Maybe some of the stuff to some people is realistic for them but for the most part i know hollywood and it's culture aren't exactly known for accuracy. Heck most drs i've seen are all that up on diabetes. I had to go thru alot of drs to find one that understood it. Most gps or internists i've been to have a limited understanding as best about diabetes. I've experienced prejudice for having it and had people who know i'm diabetic offer me food i can't eat there is a whole culture misinformed about it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm a 2, but have been for so long that I don't produce any insulin at all. If I don't inject any, my bg just starts rising, even without eating.

An extra complication is that when I first started on insulin, I used to aim for lower than normal, around 70. Low is good, right? :) It took awhile before I learned better. That is not a good thing to do, but that's a whole conversation.

And while I was aiming low, I often went lower than I aimed. I measured my own bg a few times in the 20s. I could still function. I did build up a tolerance for lows while doing that. By about 40 or 50 I was starting to get slow and stupid.

Yes it is possibel when you are completely hypounaware to just walk and act normal and do normal things until you pass out in a grand mal seisure. I have bitten trough my toung twice and dislocated my jaw once having seisures. The movie is real and not at sensationalized.
That is the first time I've ever heard that. It has never happened to me. I would just very quietly pass out when it got too low.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Continuous glocose monitors are common. They often consist of a permanent sensor needle inserted in the stomach and a display worn on the belt. One small enough to be worn on the wrist wouldn't surprise me in the least. Some people also wear insulin pumps with a small permanent needle instead of a sensor and a display/input unit to control dispensing.

Personally I am a T2 but I've hit the lower 50s and had everything go blurry and had to sit down, urgently having to consume some glucose for fear of passing out. When I was a kid I used to pass out and convulse though unfortunately the one person who ever saw, my sister, told everyone I was faking. In hindsight that was probably early hypoglycemia.

Some T2s too are insulin dependent and prone to reactive hypoglycemia. While the scenario in the movie seems accurate to me for a T1 it could happen to certain T2s too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A big horror story to me is the idea of wearing a CGM and insulin pump and going through an airport line and dealing with the grabby grubby paws of TSA personnel. I bet people have some scary stories there.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awww, man, you gotta love Hollyweird! I decided to give Panic Room another go, and now I see that Jodie Foster has the diabetic daughter eating pizza and drinking Coke! :p

·
Registered
633 Posts
Awww, man, you gotta love Hollyweird! I decided to give Panic Room another go, and now I see that Jodie Foster has the diabetic daughter eating pizza and drinking Coke! :p
What is wrong with that. I have pizza about ounce a week and drink Coke when needed. That is the major difference between type 1 and type 2. With type 1 it is not all just about what we eat. More important than than what we eat is when we eat it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
A big horror story to me is the idea of wearing a CGM and insulin pump and going through an airport line and dealing with the grabby grubby paws of TSA personnel. I bet people have some scary stories there.
I will be doing that on thursday so I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My BG can be in the 50s and I don't know anything is wrong. Howver, it can be in the 70s and I'm shaking. I think it mostly has to do with how quickly it has dropped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been having a film-fest and two of the movies I just watched were 'Panic Room' and 'Derailed' and I noticed that both plots involved kids with Type 1 Diabetes - and to the EXTREME. Not being Type 1, I know little about it, but I can't imagine these Hollywood portrayals can be authentic.

In Panic Room, the kid wears this watch-type meter that measures bg (is that a real thing?) and at one point - mind you, the kid is under severe stress, being chased through a house and locked in a vault - the reading says '57' yet she's perfectly fine, I would've thought that'd send her into a coma! Then when she finally does crash, she doesn't just pass out, she has a full on convulsion on the floor.

Then, in Derailed, the kid is hooked up to a home dialysis machine and some experimental surgery is supposed to cost so much that the family in the movie has to mortgage their house to pay for it.

I also remember an episode from the 80's show 'Night Court' where Roz, the gruff court bailiff is diagnosed with diabetes and she ends up on the ledge of a building because she "can't have cheesecake anymore".

It's Hollywood so we know they over-dramatize everything, but I'm kinda tired of diabetes being the go-to disease when you want to terrify an audience. :mad:

Thoughts?
Well, I suggest you stay away from the movie "Steel Magnolias" if you don't want to see the hard side of diabetes. It's realistic but a hard watch. Don't watch it if you are feeling fragile.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I suggest you stay away from the movie "Steel Magnolias" if you don't want to see the hard side of diabetes. It's realistic but a hard watch. Don't watch it if you are feeling fragile.
I did watch that a few months ago, before the Big D. I do remember that Julia Roberts' character wasn't supposed to have children because of her diabetes. Why was :confused:that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts