The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
parky i am i think type 2 on 4 metformin aday also lantus 3o and novorapib 18 16 18 a day could i be medicine and insulin free one day or is thisit for good ,all input welcome

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
are you way over weight?
do you eat to many carbs?

Don't know enuff about you to say

I will always be on insulin

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
parky i am i think type 2 on 4 metformin aday also lantus 3o and novorapib 18 16 18 a day could i be medicine and insulin free one day or is thisit for good ,all input welcome
Well, that really depends on a lot of factors. Some type2's are able to eventually control their diabetes with diet and exercise alone. This is after some weight loss (if you need it) and very strict dietary regimen (low carb) and regular exercise. These would be the type 2's that pretty much deal with only insulin resistance problems (which can be tricky enough as they are). The problem is that a lot of type 2's, such as myself, deal with insulin resistance as well as failing beta cells in the pancreas. Once your beta cells in pancreas fail you will have to take insulin to replace the job they are supposed to be doing. One of the main differences between type 1 and type 2 is that in T1 they make no insulin on their own. T2's usually make some insulin at least. Often type 2's can get by with oral medications for a long time, but eventually those beta cells will sort of "tire out" and wont function and make insulin anymore. So even if you get to the point that you dont need insulin now...but end up needing it later...dont feel like you have failed. Your beta cells fail....not you :)

Let us know how you are doing and please feel free to ask anything or even offer some advice of your own. We are all here for each other!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Parky, it really depends on your body. I started out on pills and my body needed insulin, I am insulin resistant. I was told that I would be on insulin the rest of my life. Sometimes the pancreas just stops working the way it should and insulin is the best treatment. Insulin is a treatment method just like pills. Try and look at it that way. If you are able to go off insulin at some point that would be great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts