The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There

I stumbled upon your forum as I was trying to find info to help my partner whose fasting blood sugar was 375 this morning. So hello, I am having a depressing day & sometimes feel like I have no where to turn and no cooperation in this mess of a disease so I thought maybe your forum would help. He doesn't take this disease seriously and I fear it will take his life before he wakes up and smells the coffee.

Hope fully i can find some good info and things here that can help me help him.

Thanks for reading

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
For a Type 2 a great source of information would be the website bloodsugar101.com. That would be a good start.
If you could tell us more about your partner - his diet, medication and physical activities, we would be in a better position to make suggestions.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi There

I stumbled upon your forum as I was trying to find info to help my partner whose fasting blood sugar was 375 this morning. So hello, I am having a depressing day & sometimes feel like I have no where to turn and no cooperation in this mess of a disease so I thought maybe your forum would help. He doesn't take this disease seriously and I fear it will take his life before he wakes up and smells the coffee.

Hope fully i can find some good info and things here that can help me help him.

Thanks for reading
Hello there and welcome.

We all started out with your status - "clueless". There is a lot to learn but the first step is to recognise that you have to be in control of yourself - and if your partner doesn't take his condition seriously he is heading for trouble. My introduction to this condition is recent enough that it still frightens me. In August 2010, I almost went into a diabetic keto-acidosis coma with a blood glucose figure not much higher than his figure (I was on 400). But for three days in hospital on the end of an insulin pump, my wife would have been the proud (sole) owner of our little house in France:( - not funny!

As skb said, do look at Blood Sugar 101 - It's very helpful but before you can do a lot, your partner does need to accept that action is called for. There are sites on the net that provide some graphic descriptions of the problems which develop after a few years of uncontrolled diabetes. I'm sure some of the other members of the forum can give you the addresses - I haven't needed to look at them - my own experience gave me enough of a wake up call!

Hopefully the brief course of "shock treatment" provided by these sites will provide the necessary guidance but do keep visiting there are many members of this forum far more knowledgeable than I am who will be only too happy to help.

Best of luck, John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My husband is also a Type 2, and not always the best at taking care of his diabetes. Luckily I do the shopping and cooking. If I were you I would clean out your pantries and toss anything that might spike his bgs. Do you do the shopping? If so don't buy any processed food or high carb food like bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc. Start subbing in Low Carb alternatives for these food. He will not be happy at first but will be happy when those bgs go down. Blood Sugar 101 is an excellent start. Another good book to pick up is Dr Bernsteins book Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site He gives you a road map to get normal bgs through diet, exercise and the proper medication. What meds are your husband currently taking? It could be he needs them increased. Does he use insulin?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts