The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I don't know that this is still accepted by science, but when I developed HBP at 47, my internist told me that only 10% of people with it are salt sensitive, but I was one. I chose to eat low salt, using it only at table because if you salt food before hand, you can't remove it, but if you salt to taste at the table, you use a lot of it or not.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It's like everything else they tell you avoid, then they find it is essential to good health. My husband suffers from High BP and we avoided salt for a long while. I then learned it was as important to add potassium to neutralise the sodium. So he doesn't avoid salt now. I find since I don't eat processed food any more that I need to add Salt to my food.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Speaking of soy sauce, I used nothing but soy sauce & lime juice for the fajitas marinade last night, and they were delicious. Sometimes the simpler, the better.

·
Registered
782 Posts
When I got back my blood test results this week, the only reading out of range, other than glucose and A1c, was sodium. It was low. I don't try to eat a little or eat a lot; I just don't care very much for salt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've found over the last three or four years that although salt doesn't seem to affect my blood pressure, it is causing a lot of fluid retention problems for me. While I add very little salt to food while cooking now, and none at the table as a rule, if I have tomato's in my sandwiches, that will cause bad fluid retention after a couple of days and I'm usually pretty careful with salt these days.

I can't use soy sauce unfortunately as I'm allergic, so I rely on getting my salt from things like edam cheese or a few slices of ham.

I noticed someone mentioned potassium. I seem to have developed a few kidney problems since becoming diabetic, so I have to watch my intake of things like banana's which are high in potassium as it builds up in my kidneys. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts