The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :smile2:
I'm not much of a pasta eater, never have been but there is one thing I love and that's "angel hair with shrimp and garlic putter".
I thought my days of eating this were over until I found this pasta.

I know there is nothing in them but I think the garlic butter makes up for that (fat)
It's easy to make as it is already cooked (refrigerated) just par boil for 3-4 min and its done. Make your garlic butter cook the shrimp in that slowly, then add the noodles and stir. It's totally delicious yeah!! I have my one pasta meal :biggrin:
People with seafood allergies can substitute what ever meat (and veggies they like)
It's also glutton free which is a plus for people like me.
Sorry if this is bad, I'm still learning. But I hope it's ok.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
It's a fairly good substitute for pasta, especially in the early days of learning to reduce carbs. If you like it, then that's great.

It has a somewhat fishy smell when you first open the package, and that's not so bad if you're having it with fish. The smell is reduced quite a bit if one rinses it several (like 6-8 ) times before using it.

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
Good find!

The flatter noodles in chicken soup or the angel hair in a stirfry are so popular with me (and even my non-diabetic wife) that I've got a stock of them in the fridge for just such occasions.

Reactions: Nele

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a fairly good substitute for pasta, especially in the early days of learning to reduce carbs. If you like it, then that's great.

It has a somewhat fishy smell when you first open the package, and that's not so bad if you're having it with fish. The smell is reduced quite a bit if one rinses it several (like 6-8 ) times before using it.
Oh yeah forgot to mention the rinsing part hehe:vs_blush:

·
Super Moderator
1,940 Posts
NSDad, there are two kinds of those noodles generally available, formed into different shapes (angel hair, "fettucine", etc.).

One kind is made from konnyaku (also sometimes written as conjac or konjac); it's a yam common to southeast asia unrelated to what North Americans recognize as a yam. There is no starch in it; just mostly fiber and a vegetable gum called glucomannan. (Sounds really appealing, don't it? :biggrin:)

The other kind adds in some soybean curd (tofu) which makes it act more like grain-based pasta/noodles. Again, a negligible source of calories or carbs or much of anything, really.

But all that works in its favor -- aside from the just-packaged odor (which can be rinsed or boiled off) and a surface that's a little too smooth to pick up much of a sauce (the tofu variety is better for this) -- these noodles go with just about anything and cost almost nothing nutritionally (in fact, they have enough fiber in them to be kind of filling).

They're sold at bigger supermarkets and at Asian food stores (notably cheaper at the Asian food stores).

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
strange but i do substantially much better with rice noodle than wheat based pastas.

the other day i tried spaghetti squash and my bg moved much less than the number of carbs suggested. i heard the less you cook some squash the less digestable the carbs are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts