The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG I am in love. After much pleading, my husband made these for me today, Peanut Butter Caramel Shortbread Bars. I just had one and *swoon*. They are that good.

It's gluten free, low-carb but doesn't taste like it. The bottom came out crunchy and just like shortbread. Basically with no kitchen skills it looks like the pictures and tastes like it looks. :D

Serves 16. Each bar has 6 g of carbs and 2.3 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 3.7 g.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok. Me again. I just read the recipe and it has all those scary ingredients that I have not been brave enough to look for, let alone actually cook with. Almond flour, granulated something, ethereal-something..... I just dont think I can do it. Bummer.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the almond flour and erythritol + stevia from amazon.com. You can also get almond flour and Truvia from your local grocery store. Truvia is the same as eryrthitol + stevia, so you can measure out however much of erythritol they say and then don't worry about adding the stevia since it's already in it. It comes out the right sweetness.

Neither ingredient is hard to cook with. The only trick is finding them. Whole foods and Trader Joe's sell almond flour. I think they have truvia too. At my local Shop n Save (not as fancy store as WF or TJ) they have these ingredients too.

·
Registered
690 Posts
What is xanthan gum and where do you get that?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Okay. Maybe this is do-able. Is corn starch an okay substitution for someone with diabetes? And if if I choose to use this do I use it in the same amount as the other "gum" stuff?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Is corn starch an okay substitution for someone with diabetes? And if if I choose to use this do I use it in the same amount as the other "gum" stuff?
Corn starch has 7 grams carbs/tablespoon. I've personally not used it since I got diabetes, and have just thickened by reduction or cream.

As for substituting corn starch for the gum - I searched for those more in the know than I and came up with 'no' via that same question here - Xanthan Gum And Corn Starch - Celiac.com Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Forum

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think it would hurt the recipe to much to just leave out the guar/xantham gum. Sorry for the wrong turn with the corn starch. I am not a baker, my husband cooked this up for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts