The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find any low carb peanut butter in the stores, so I guess I'll have to make my own. I plan to add peanut oil and sweetener. Can someone who makes it please tell me how long it keeps and do I need to refrigerate it?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Not sure how long it keeps. We have had really good luck with Smart Balance chunky.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Peanut butter usually stays in my pantry for several months before it gets finished. not sure about homemade varieties. I would think refrigerating PB would make it really stiff and hard to spread.

On a whim a couple of weeks ago, I picked up a couple different peanut butters for comparison to my regular PB. 6-7g carb for a 2Tbsp serving size. don't know if that counts as low carb for others, but it's reasonably low to me for snacking on.

Imablog – A tale of three peanut butters

·
Registered
460 Posts
Why do you need to add anything? Aren't natural nut butters simply made by crushing them in a blender?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Keep in mind, peanuts are a legume, not a true nut, and they contain starches. Be sure and test after eating a specific amount.

I cannot handle PB -- I use tahina, made from sesame seeds, and do fine with it, or almond butter.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've seen organic peanut butter (I'm not certain what else they'd be made from) in the 'healthy' part of the supermarket...it said no added salt and no added sugar...I bought it a few months back and it's still fine...only ingredient says 'peanuts'

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I just found a peanut butter with the following specifications per 100 gms

19 grams of carbs of which 5 grams was fiber. So effectively 14 grams of net carbs, which is mostly sugars

Has anyone been able to find a lower carb peanut butter here ?

Tony

·
Registered
916 Posts
my fav PB is Peter pan super chunky. To me its the best tasting .
its [email protected] 3gm sugar.

I have 4 other jars & they are pretty much the same. skippy has 7gm carb.

I don't eat it very offen or any more then 2T.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
my fav PB is Peter pan super chunky. To me its the best tasting .
its [email protected] 3gm sugar.

I have 4 other jars & they are pretty much the same. skippy has 7gm carb.

I don't eat it very offen or any more then 2T.
Yes my butter also gives the same numbers

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
If any peanut butter can sit without refrigeration and it doesn't separate (oil on top) it's not real and you should stay far away from it.

Peanuts have starch, so it will never be among your "free foods". Peanut butter should have at most two ingredients: peanuts and salt. Nearly all the popular commercial brands have hydrogenated oils (to prevent the natural separation of the oil) which of course means trans-fats. This is a more serious threat than a couple of grams of starch.

I just checked my organic PB from Sprouts (peanuts, salt) and in 2 tbsps, it has 6g total carbs, 4g fiber or 2g net carbs. I wouldn't normally eat more than that amount at a time. Two sticks of celery topped with real peanut butter is one of my go-to snacks.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I buy organic peanut butter in a tub that our local store makes. The only ingredient is peanuts. I don't think you need to add anything. Just throw peanuts in a Food processor. Process until you get the right consistency. You can also make any kind of nut butter or even use seeds like sunflower seeds.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I make my own. Bulk peanuts and a food processor. Quick, cheap and yummy.

... and best of all, no trans-fats like most of the peanut butters in the store... (except 'natural' ones)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts