The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
I made these last night for my wife, she said she wanted Chocolate Chip cookies. It is variation of the Ginger snap cookies. My wife was total suprised at the way these came out, crunchy, sweet, a really good cookie. She would know she doesn't hold back eating the real thing every chance she gets when I am not around.

I did manage to include all of the ingredients this time.

1 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Erythritol
1/4 cup Splenda
1/4 cup ground Flaxseed
4 squares Lindt 85% chocolate, cut up into small pieces
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) right out of the fridge, cold, cut up into workable pieces
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp of Cream of Tartar
cap full of Vanilla

Placed everything into food processor (don't know what I would do with out one) except the pecans and the chocolate

I ran the processor until it formed a ball, removed the dough and folded in the pecans and chocolate. Refrigerated a few minutes. I then made 15 walnut sized balls, smashed them down slighty to about 3/8" thick, baked at 350 for nearly 20 minutes. This is probably the best cookie I have tasted since I have been Dxed.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shanny. I am more of a pastry type guy. Give me a Cardamom roll and I will forget the world for a while. Most of these cookies are to keep my wife from straying over to the dark side.

I have done research on Erythritol and it can be digested by bread yeast. So my pastries are not to far off.

We are going to have to organize a fan club for you, Mr. Cookie Wizard! I'm less of a cookie person myself, but I know an old woodchopper who'll be delighted to find these in the cookie jar!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I am searching this but a quick question:

Why do you prefer tartrate to bicarbonate or carbonate baking powders, Marty? I never have tartrate on hand, but may need to get some ...

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I remade the ginger snaps today and used 1/4 the of the recipe asked for of sweetener in it and it still was too sweet. In fact, I'm tossing it too. I've said before that I never have liked sweets (with some exceptions) but I guess I'll have to find out what I do like as sweets. I love lemon curd, not cake, but any kind of custard or yogurt) but not really sweet desserts. I may try this, but will wait for reviews from others on the sweetness.

Any takers to help me?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
When I try a new recipe I always cut splenda or whatever the reciepe says in two.
Then I split the half I will use to 2/3 with splenda or Erythritol and add just a bit of stevia. In some cakes I end up just having 1/4 with splenda or Erythritol , 1 or 2 teaspoon sugar and a pinch stevia.
I dont like the cold taste from diabetesfriendly "sugar".
I`m going to try this recipe tomorrow.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I remade the ginger snaps today and used 1/4 the of the recipe asked for of sweetener in it and it still was too sweet. In fact, I'm tossing it too. I've said before that I never have liked sweets (with some exceptions) but I guess I'll have to find out what I do like as sweets. I love lemon curd, not cake, but any kind of custard or yogurt) but not really sweet desserts. I may try this, but will wait for reviews from others on the sweetness.

Any takers to help me?
oh I made some very tart lemon butter and had it with greek yoghurt...sort of swirled it in...was excellent

my family tell me I dont use enough sweetener when I make sweets...like you most stuff is too sweet for me

·
Banned
158 Posts
Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
I made these last night for my wife, she said she wanted Chocolate Chip cookies. It is variation of the Ginger snap cookies. My wife was total suprised at the way these came out, crunchy, sweet, a really good cookie. She would know she doesn't hold back eating the real thing every chance she gets when I am not around.

I did manage to include all of the ingredients this time.

1 cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup Erythritol
1/4 cup Splenda
1/4 cup ground Flaxseed
4 squares Lindt 85% chocolate, cut up into small pieces
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) right out of the fridge, cold, cut up into workable pieces
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp of Cream of Tartar
cap full of Vanilla

Placed everything into food processor (don't know what I would do with out one) except the pecans and the chocolate

I ran the processor until it formed a ball, removed the dough and folded in the pecans and chocolate. Refrigerated a few minutes. I then made 15 walnut sized balls, smashed them down slighty to about 3/8" thick, baked at 350 for nearly 20 minutes. This is probably the best cookie I have tasted since I have been Dxed.
Do you have the nutritional info worked out, i.e. the per serving calories, carbs, protein and fat?

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Finally got these baked & they're every bit as good as Marty & his wife say. My cookie expert thought they were excellent, although he still isn't too sure I didn't switch the chocolate on him . . . he tasted the Lindt 85% the other day & was distinctly unimpressed with THAT! :D So today he's unbelieving that it could be the same chocolate in the cookies that he tasted the day we bought it. THEN he started quizzing me about there being ANYTHING in these cookies that his digestive tract might recognize as sugar or carbohydrate. (did I ever tell you what an ornery old pup he is?! ;)) He could've just said they're too good to be low-carb! heheh.

Here's the nutritional breakdown:
Serving size: 1 cookie (26g)
calories: 145
calories from fat: 124
total fat: 14g
saturated fat: 5g
trans fat: 0g
cholesterol: 16mg
sodium: 51mg
total carbs: 3g
dietary fiber: 2g
sugars: 0g
protein: 3g
vitamin A: 4%
calcium: 3%
iron: 4%

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Shanny for the nut info, glad you liked them.

Linda the tartrate is suppose to keep the erhthditol from over crystalizing when they cool.

Reactions: caz

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Finally made these and they're really good, Marty. Even my Alzheimer mom said, "What is that good thing you just put in my mouth?"

Unfortunately, I don't have a food processor here on the East Coast where I am for 4-5 months so melted the butter to blend with a hand mixer instead, and put in frig until moldable into balls. Not being a baker, I'm not sure what the advantage is of mixing in the butter cold w/ a processor though assume there is one. Different consistency? Lighter?

What improvement am I in for once at home?

No matter, I'll be making them again!

Reactions: MCS

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made 4 batches of these over ths holidays, they were a hit with D's and non D's alike. I made double batch, left out the chocolate and added cinn and cardamon. Cardamon =Christmas to me, must have been all those Swedish Sweet Rolls I was raised on.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Made them for a party this past weekend. A hit even with non- LC folks!

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
106 Posts
MCS, does the cream of tartar help with the cooling effect of erythritol, too? I know that I have had some freaky moments with erythritol (like I literally thought there was an ice cube in my mouth!)...but I can also just sub xylitol in this recipe! More carbs, but might work better for me. At pat, I know that for 1 cup of almond flour, I usually use 1/2 cup xylitol. I do not know how that would translate for erythritol or splenda, but maybe that will help? I love sweets, and generally that seems plenty sweet to me (and people say xylitol is less sweet than sugar).

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Had not made these in years, but yesterday was on the prowl for a treat. Surely found it in these cookies!

MCS's recipes run on the sweet side, so I reduced the erythritol in half, and added some drops of Stevia and Splenda.

The only problem with these cookies is portion control! They're amazing.

Reactions: macksvicky

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Any recipe Marty has posted I had to try and so far I haven't found one I didn't like. Even my non diabetic hubby enjoys them. And I do agree, these cookies are hard to eat just one (or three).

Reactions: moon

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
My hubby turns 70 tomorrow! He's embracing it and celebrating (a good attitude that I'm afraid I won't be sharing when my 70th B-day comes around this year).

What do you get someone who has just about everything he wants. Food, of course. And he loves chocolate chip cookies, which I don't often make. So I think this will be my B-day present to him. I can bake them up while he's gone tomorrow morning.

And, I have all the ingredients at hand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts