The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a 'new comer' to MDI, but that is using a syringe. Recently changed Insulins to Lantus & Novolog and to minimize mistakes I opted to use NovoLog in pen configuration . Lantus is a 10mL vial. Prior to this was 2 daily injections using syringes.
Problem is, out of 4 pen injections so far, 3 times the injection site bleeds a fair amount. With a syringe that maybe would happen once in a 2 week period. Should I be doing something different with the pen?

Of course there is needle size, the syringe is 31 gauge and pen needle is 30 gauge. Both are 8mm length. The visual of blood for me is not the problem, just do not want to get Insulin directly in my blood...
Have others had this issue or is it a non-issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I first started using my pen, I was using 8mm and I found that I would bleed sometimes. My pharmacist recommended the 6mm, and I haven't turned back. I've had a lot more luck with the 6mm. Every once and I'll still get a small bit of blood, but it's rare now.

My doctor also recommended to go in on an angle, and that can reduce the risk of it. I personally only do angle injections when I inject in the leg, but that's something to try maybe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not a 'new comer' to MDI, but that is using a syringe. Recently changed Insulins to Lantus & Novolog and to minimize mistakes I opted to use NovoLog in pen configuration . Lantus is a 10mL vial. Prior to this was 2 daily injections using syringes.
Problem is, out of 4 pen injections so far, 3 times the injection site bleeds a fair amount. With a syringe that maybe would happen once in a 2 week period. Should I be doing something different with the pen?

Of course there is needle size, the syringe is 31 gauge and pen needle is 30 gauge. Both are 8mm length. The visual of blood for me is not the problem, just do not want to get Insulin directly in my blood...
Have others had this issue or is it a non-issue?
Hello
I am using Pen also. 4 times in a day with 8 mm needle. I am tryng to rotate injection points that even or odd day number. Even numbers i shot my right side, Odd numbers of days i use my left side. Rare occasion i see blood on injection location. I am also trying to shot my injections with angle but while i inject insulin to my arm its little difficult.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, have been injecting the pen at an angle and that seems to minimize bleeding. Next round of pens will try the 6 mm length needles. Am using my upper leg area for the quick acting, small amount insulin. Been concentrating on the the Basal - Lantus to get that right.
Finger sticks 10-12 times a day to track my changes :violin: Looks promising so far, ~ 50% Lantus compared to the intermediate insulin I was taking.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I first started using my pen, I was using 8mm and I found that I would bleed sometimes. My pharmacist recommended the 6mm, and I haven't turned back. I've had a lot more luck with the 6mm. Every once and I'll still get a small bit of blood, but it's rare now.

My doctor also recommended to go in on an angle, and that can reduce the risk of it. I personally only do angle injections when I inject in the leg, but that's something to try maybe.
Same here, Thradia. I use the 6mm needle and it's much better than the 8mm and the 9mm. I did try the 5mm but I felt like the insulin wasn't even reaching where it is supposed to go because it is too short, so I went back to the 6mm which is perfect for me.

I rarely bleed from taking the shot, but when it happens it's usually because I put it in a swollen spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts