The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new here and haven't been diagnosed with diabetes. At this point it is mostly speculation and awaiting a blood glucose test (I hope that's the right terminology!)

Anyhow, I guess I fall into a risk category as I'm approaching 40 years old, overweight, and not so great diet/exercise regime. My father also has diabetes as well as several other family members - niece, 2 nephews, aunt and uncle (although it's my understanding it's your immediate family that is the important factor).

At the time my father was diagnosed I ran in a hypochondriac panic to my doctor and asked to be tested.....test results were fine :) That was now about 20 yrs ago and I haven't been asked by doctor, or bothered to ask to be tested again.

About 6 weeks ago my husband and I were taking the bench seat out of my minivan and I tripped and dropped the darn thing right on my shin. Yes...the worst place possible to drop a heavy object! There were no sharp pieces on the seat, but the sheer weight and force of it hitting my leg broke the skin open in 3 really teeny little spots..just enough for 3 little drops of blood to show up. Of course the leg swelled and bruised like crazy and hurt for a few days. By the end of a week that pain had subsided but these 3 teeny spots where the skin had sort of peeled a bit had the biggest grossest scabs on them and were really starting to itch and burn and turn red. Went to doc's, told me it was infected and gave me a 7 day round of antibiotics. 2 weeks later the infection is WORSE...fire in my leg, pus...blech just terrible! Another round of antibiotics...this time the "big boy"....cloxacillin for 10 days.

Now the doc (not my family doctor as he was too busy to see me quickly) is concerned about why this is taking so long to heal. Starts asking questions re: family history, symptoms etc. I have been having these annoying frequent headaches, dizzy spells/shakiness and have been attributing them to either too much or too little caffeine or possibly blood pressure issues..but blood pressure has tested in optimal range several times over last few months. He's now worried about diabetes and demanded I have the test done in the next few days via the family doctor.

Anyhow, this is getting too long....make the story short....today I'm having a really bad dizzy/druggy/dozy feeling and was worried about a side effect of the penicillin i'm taking. In googling this I came across a site that said penicillin can make a blood glucose test give out a false positive.

Why oh why do doctors give us poor un-medically-educated peons such a hard time!! Put me on a medication and then tell me to go get a test that is affected by said medication...like I don't have enough worries!!

So now i'm wondering how long should I wait before going ahead with the testing - i'm only on day 2 of the penicillin? And is it ok to be waiting that long? I don't feel horrible (trying really hard to not hypochondriac out again and make myself feel sick), but how quickly should I be getting this testing done?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows the answer to this!

Michelle

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am not sure penicillian or amoxicillian would affect your bg reading. Did your doctor order an HbA1c test? If so that gives you a 3 month average of the glycation or sugar coating on blood molecules. Given that you have a family history it is good to test you. When I was dx'd almost 5 years ago no one else in my very large family had diabetes. So it may be a factor but , but is not the only one. I was normal weight and very athletic and my D diagnosis was a big shock to me. But it is much better to know and deal with the disease. You can also go out and buy your own bg meter and test on fasting and 2 hours after meals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts