The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of threads on here about neuropathy, numbness, etc.

I'm just wondering how many folks with these problems have been tested for vitamin deficiencies?

I've had Peripheral Neuropathy since I first became diabetic, it was one of my symptoms. All of my doctors kept telling me that it would get better or at least stop getting worse once I got my blood sugar under control.
Well, even though I got my blood sugar under control within a month of being diagnosed (My A1C has been 5.9 since 3 months after diagnosis), it kept getting worse.
So I looked up what other things associated with diabetes might be causing it and went to my doctor with a whole laundry list of blood tests I wanted.

I was expecting maybe a B12 deficiency since that's supposed to be pretty common with diabetes, but it turns out I was B1 (thiamine) deficient.
Since I started taking thiamine supplements 2 months ago the pain is gone and the numbness and tingling are almost gone.

Anyway, if you folks haven't been tested you might want to consider getting tested for the following:
Vitamins B1, B3, B6, B12, and D
Biotin, Chromium, Manganese, Magnesium, Zinc and CoQ10

There might be a few others, but those are the ones that my research indicated where common deficiencies for diabetics.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That is interesting. I do take Benfotiamine which is the active form of B1 and I do beleive it helps with neuropathy pain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts