The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scientists at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) have initiated a phase 1 clinical trial to reverse type 1 diabetes. The trial is exploring whether the promising results from the laboratory of Denise Faustman, MD, PhD, can be applied in human diabetes. Faustman's previous studies have shown that mice with a form of diabetes that closely resembles type 1 diabetes in humans can be cured. In the animal studies, a commonly used vaccine that provides protection against tuberculosis, called Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) was used effectively to deplete the abnormal immune cells that attack and destroy the insulin producing cells of the pancreas. The first step in the human study, which is currently enrolling volunteers, is to determine whether the same strategy using BCG vaccination can be used to modify the abnormal autoimmune cells that are present in type 1 diabetes, sometimes called "juvenile-onset" diabetes. "We are pleased to be starting human clinical trials," said Faustman. "Human trials take time, but we are making the step from curing diabetes in mice to determining whether it will work in men and women with diabetes

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey George: :)

I hope that you are doing Well.

Thank You for your posts, particularly this article. That is exciting. I haven't been to her site in a while. Now Dr. Faustman, I have Faith in doing the right thing for Diabetes research. I'm sure with all the research going on someone will make the "Claim to Fame", hopefully sooner than later.

*Terrie*

1 - 2 of 2 Posts