The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
received just a few moments ago. "Samantha" representing National Diabetes Association, caller ID stated "California" with a 323 area code.

Her broken English was so bad, I hardly understood what she really had to say, talked about how long diabetic, med used, what meter, etc. When she was saying that NDA would send me free meter, strips, lancets I balked. I told her my insurance pays good, and I didn't want to give up my current meter.

I thanked her for her for calling and hung up the phone.

Have any of you had such a call from NDA?

MimiMc

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you still have the number in your Caller ID, run it through Google & see if anything comes up. There are many sites who keep track of calls like this & you'll see what other people are being called - whether it's a scam or not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you still have the number in your Caller ID, run it through Google & see if anything comes up. There are many sites who keep track of calls like this & you'll see what other people are being called - whether it's a scam or not.
Thanks, Shanny! I googled the #, this is one of the responses...National Diabetes Association nda.net
Calls with incorrect information about my health
8th of Jul, 2011 by dardena
This company is not trust worthy at all and I wish you folks who think you are getting something for nothing would realize your name and personal health information is probably being sold to marketing lists for insurance and diabetic supply companies. Not only that, your diabetes is probably being noted by insurance companies so they can raise your rates. Do not ever give out personal information to anyone on the phone you do not personally know! Call was made from California 323-474-0371. I am writing my Congressman and Senator to stop the leaking of personal health information to any old company out there so it can become public knowledge.

Yes, she was asking for personal information...my doctor's name, my insurance co, how often to my doctor, etc. That's why I hung up the phone.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes, she was asking for personal information...my doctor's name, my insurance co, how often to my doctor, etc. That's why I hung up the phone.
Wow - I didn't know what I was missing when I just hang up on them! Then I quickly set about blocking the number on our phone! ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those in the US, try the Do Not Call Registry. You can sign up on-line https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx If memory serves they are a part of the FTC.
When I get an occasional solicitation call it works to complain :)
Would you believe she had the nerve to call back again @2:25. My husband had answered the phone and told me I had a phone call. As soon as I heard the broken English, I asked if this was Samantha. She say yes, I told her she had called me earlier (10:51). She said she wanted to help me. I just came unglued with her and told her I've already reported her #. This time it stated "unknown" on the ID.
Larry, I do have the "Do Not Call Registry". I told her to remove my # from her listings or I was reporting as a scam.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I remember when I went to my CDE she gave me a free meter and 50 strips. She said someone would call from a similar organization, I'm not sure which one to sign me up. I told her my insurance company doesn't pay for my strips but she said the only way to get a free meter was to do it this way. So when the rep called she spent 15 minutes telling me how she would save me all this money until she found out I had high deductible insurance and then she said they couldn't work with me. A lot of those mail order organizations make tons of money on diabetic supplies with people with good insurance. You would be amazed though how they get your name and phone numbers. Lots of times insurance companies give this info out. I get all sorts of diabetic related calls. Now that I have caller ID if I don't recognise the number I just don't answer. I always figure if it is important enough they will leave a message.

Reactions: LarryT
1 - 7 of 7 Posts