The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who are on MDI (multiple daily injections), how do you take your insulin if you are going to eat pizza or any other very fatty food? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pizza has always caused me problem. It tends to increase my BS both quickly and for hours afterwards. I am on the pump now and that has helped.
When I was on MDI, I would take TWO shots to cover my BS when I ate a lot. I would take a regular dose with the meal, then check my BS in 2 to 3 hrs. If my BS was higher than my goal, I would take an additional dose on insulin. (Humalog) If I only ate 1 or 2 slices, I would just stick with my normal dose and would be fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey.

I'm about to fall asleep so I'm not gonna search for it myself now, but there is a video by Gary Scheiner explaining pizza and insulin. Just google it. I'll look for it tommorow.

I've tried everything, but pizza is really tricky! Even 50 units of regular insulin aren't enough for a whole pie sometimes (they easily have 200g of carbs or more)

Just keep trying and don't give up!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey.

I'm about to fall asleep so I'm not gonna search for it myself now, but there is a video by Gary Scheiner explaining pizza and insulin. Just google it. I'll look for it tommorow.

I've tried everything, but pizza is really tricky! Even 50 units of regular insulin aren't enough for a whole pie sometimes (they easily have 200g of carbs or more)

Just keep trying and don't give up!
Hi, i definitely won't be eating a whole pie. It would be just a slice or two :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts