The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
OMG! I didn't know either, Pat, but I just hadda Google it, and despite never even EATING one, I think I miss 'em - or rather - I've missed an incredible snack! Sandwiches made with fries or chips?! Is this right, Stormie?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
That sure looks like one to me Shanny! An example of fine English cuisine :p

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
429 Posts
OMG! I didn't know either, Pat, but I just hadda Google it, and despite never even EATING one, I think I miss 'em - or rather - I've missed an incredible snack! Sandwiches made with fries or chips?! Is this right, Stormie?

I forgot about the international nature of the forum, yes thats correct
As Clea said, fine English Cuisine :D

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
There's a burrito shop near me in CA that makes the best ones ever - huge things I can no longer eat of course, loaded with black beans and the most amazing char-grilled meat, etc. Second time I was there looking at the menu I saw one with fries in it. Really? I queried the order-taker enough that she made one for my take-out order, free. Said they were very popular. They were HUGE! Must say, blasphemous, but I didn't much care for it ... and felt guilty tossing it.

·
hans
1,548 Posts
Oh, I´ve been consuming fish and chips in the UK, wrapped in yesterdays edition of Daily Mail , but this was just a new experience: Sandwich with fries and HP sauce! Well, each country have their own cuisine and I respect that and I also must add that I really like the UK and the atmosphere in the country, but then there are some dishes... On the other hand there is a special dish in Sweden "surströmming" that people from other countries classify as rotten fish...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
A local British-style pub (really rare around here) used to feature chip butties. Sadly, they closed down after the owner developed health problems.

There was also a Peruvian place down the street that included chips/fries in almost everything. Potatoes (papas) must be a major staple in Peru. Unfortunately, the eatery just couldn't make a go of it.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Well, each country have their own cuisine
Fries are certainly somewhat of a religion here too - "Hello, welcome to the US - would you like fries with that?"

·
hans
1,548 Posts
UK is a really great multi cultural society, our favourite food used to be fish and chips, but it's now a Balti (from the India and Pakistan)
Yes, I know. There are new influences from other countries. Also in Sweden. Some of the traditional food are not so tasty not just "surströmming" (fermented herring).
Here´s some information:

Surströmming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
LOL - oh my:

"When opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odor, which explains why the dish is often eaten outdoors. A Japanese study has shown that the smell of a newly opened can of surströmming is the most putrid smell of food in the world"

Takes a special palate (and stomach) for that!

·
hans
1,548 Posts
LOL - oh my:

"When opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odor, which explains why the dish is often eaten outdoors. A Japanese study has shown that the smell of a newly opened can of surströmming is the most putrid smell of food in the world"

Takes a special palate (and stomach) for that!
And I just love surströmming! But down here in southern Sweden it´s very hard to eat it. You have to be on good terms with your neighbours cause you can smell it all around the block. It´s actually a traditional delicacy in northern Sweden, where I actually come from.

·
hans
1,548 Posts
Just like to add that it´s important to take care what´s left of the fish. You just dig a deep hole and bring the leftovers there and make sure that you cover it with lots of soil. Absolutely not in a trash bag. It will be nearly impossible to get rid of the smell.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
There was also a Peruvian place down the street that included chips/fries in almost everything. Potatoes (papas) must be a major staple in Peru. Unfortunately, the eatery just couldn't make a go of it.

Almost every meal I have had in Peru comes with either , fries, Yucca, or plantains oh how I can't wait to go back to Peru this fall..

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
930 Posts
In my travels the most disgusting food I saw was in the Philippines. It's called a balut ("thousand year old" fertilized boiled duck egg) and if I saw them eating those I might be sick for three days. In fact my stomach is now upset just thinking about it.

Filipino Street Food Delights: Balut & Isaw

But then, as a youth I thought that it was a bit gross when my stepfather and his pal were in the kitchen drinking beer and eating limburger cheese. :)

ColaJim

·
Registered
930 Posts
How gross...I could have done without that information!
Sorry, I was just musing about what was more revolting than my assistant engineer tossing his empty Kipper Snacks cans into the wastebasket next to the radiator.

ColaJim

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.