The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm definitely a type one diabetic. I have a job that doesn't give me enough money to pay even the lowest rent in my area by myself. As of august of this year I will have to move out of my current place. My brother is moving out. I make maybe 900 a month to pay bills. Can't find a second job to fill my day after my current part time job. I know i have requirements to live. Need a refridgerator for my insulin. Thats the most important one but that requires an apartment or a roommate that allows me to take up room in the fridge. I have a mobile fridge that plugs into my car to keep my insulin cool if needed. Right now i'm thinking of finding a campsite with at least power hookups and live out of a tent. Not th smartest idea but the only thing i can afford. Any suggustions from other diabetics?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello dusthammer . . . I always enjoyed the time I spent tenting, and you're in the right climate for a bivouac, as it were. :) Our youngest son did the same thing when he was trying to get started & very low on money . . . only he lived in Durango Colorado, which wasn't quite so warm. I think that encouraged him to hurry up & find a good job!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello dusthammer . . . I always enjoyed the time I spent tenting, and you're in the right climate for a bivouac, as it were. :) Our youngest son did the same thing when he was trying to get started & very low on money . . . only he lived in Durango Colorado, which wasn't quite so warm. I think that encouraged him to hurry up & find a good job!
Thanks for the reassuring info. It good too know i'm not the only one in the situation.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't have much advice, I am a young guy myself, but I will definitely say a prayer for you.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
It's always difficult to make any suggestions to someone about their life when you don't have all the info, and this is certainly nothing creative, but have you thought of moving to a cheaper area? Silicon Valley is crazy expensive. You likely have friends you don't want to leave, or love the area for other reasons, or don't have the resources to make a change and look for even a p/t job elsewhere. But if you are going to live in your car anyway, perhaps saving for a few months to give it a go elsewhere could work?

Very tough situation and my heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hang in there I just got evicted and had less than 14 days to move. I found a 2/1 no central ac and my dog hates it. I'm not unpacked yet and ive been there a week. But I think life gets better. Good luck in your quest to find a new place to live.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm definitely a type one diabetic. I have a job that doesn't give me enough money to pay even the lowest rent in my area by myself. As of august of this year I will have to move out of my current place. My brother is moving out. I make maybe 900 a month to pay bills. Can't find a second job to fill my day after my current part time job. I know i have requirements to live. Need a refridgerator for my insulin. Thats the most important one but that requires an apartment or a roommate that allows me to take up room in the fridge. I have a mobile fridge that plugs into my car to keep my insulin cool if needed. Right now i'm thinking of finding a campsite with at least power hookups and live out of a tent. Not th smartest idea but the only thing i can afford. Any suggustions from other diabetics?

I was in the same situation, but prior to diabetes. Here are are few suggestions, which would be considered extreme, but so might your circumstances.

- Rental storage units (with 24/7 access, and an overhead light/outlet) are used as living quarters by some.

- the best short notice job search is to approach anyone doing independent work (painters, movers, etc) in the act of work, and ask them if they need on the spot help.

- Many diabetic medicines are available OTC depending on the state. Here are some related links.
Complete list of States that sell Insulin OTC w/o prescription - Anabolicminds.com

What Is NPH Insulin/Regular Insulin Used For?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts