The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please if someone can tell, if infections which lead to amputations are equally dangerous in diabetic people whose BG never exceeds 117 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L), like it's dangerous in people with always high BG above 126 mg/dl (7 mmol/L) ?

Or, do I need to aim for even lower BG readings to prevent such infections if I accidentally cut my toe or foot ? Or does it affect us all, regardless of BG readings ? Thank you.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Please if someone can tell, if infections which lead to amputations are equally dangerous in diabetic people whose BG never exceeds 117 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L), like it's dangerous in people with always high BG above 126 mg/dl (7 mmol/L) ?

Or, do I need to aim for even lower BG readings to prevent such infections if I accidentally cut my toe or foot ? Or does it affect us all, regardless of BG readings ? Thank you.
I don't think there is any real quantifiable measure. My BGs usually run above 126 - usually between the 126 - 158 range and have been doing so I suspect for the last 51 years.

I have never experienced an infection in my life - no infected cuts or abrasions nothing. I also tend to heal extremely quickly, faster than my other non diabetic family members.

So I think there is more to it than just BG levels - but what that is - I just have theories ...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Since we are not Doctor's it would be inappropriate for us to say anything specific or that is final. I can share my personal experiences as long as you recognize it is just my perception, not necessarily cause and effect.

I have been diabetic, type 2, for over 12 years. I did not find this website and start managing my BS until April of 2015. Before then I increased my medication to offset my BS.

I have experienced nerve damage in my feet for over 10 years and with that, I started noticing I could not feel cuts on my toes, when cutting my nails. Additionally, cuts or scratches on my lower legs and feet do not heal like they used to, and if I do not clean, sterilize, and cover with a Band-Aid and Neosporin right away, and change that out daily for 3-4 days, I get an infection quickly.

This all came on before LCHF! Now with over 3 years of good, in the low 6's, to great in the 5% club, I have seen no worsening of either condition. My nerve problems in my feet has improved to some degree.

So it is my belief now that controlling BS staying as close to the 5% as you can, helps retard these conditions....

Hope this in some way helps....

The one thing we do know for sure is that if you do not manage your blood sugars well, you will surely die from some form of diabetic complication....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Foot care is just so important in all of this. Check yourself regaularly with the Medipin Diabetic Toes Test and seek medical help the second you see any deterioration

1 - 4 of 4 Posts