The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am 55 years old and getting ancious. Do you know how accurate the finger prick test is ? I had this done after a night fast at the chemist and it was 7.8 , i am now waiting for the results from the doctor after a blood test. I have been boarder line diabetic .Also i had a sickness bug last week so could not eat for 2 days ,if i was now diabetic would i have been very ill. this is very confusing, Waiting for results from doctor seems like ages. The 2 hour fast was 6.5. These figures mean nothing to me

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Marleene, welcome to our community! Did you mean that your 6.5 was after only a 2 hour fast? Did you mean to say 12 hours? I am thinking you were talking about an overnight fast. You may be talking about 2 hours after a meal instead.

Your meter is likely to give you results that can very by 10 or more points from your actual blood sugar level. The results with my own meter (Free Style brand) can give me numbers that are very consistent most of the time but when I doubt a result and check again it can be 10 or more points different from the first test. These inconsistencies do not usually happen though. When they do happen it is unlikely that your meter is defective.

Both a 7.8 and a 6.5 are high for an overnight fast for a nondiabetic. It can also vary from one day to the next.

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts