The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I will try to make this as brief as I can (I'm bad at this..)

I am 23 years old, male, 5"8, 220lbs. I am overweight definitely. I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks which I take medication for. I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure last year which I take a beta blocker for now. I ALSO have sleep apnea which I treat with CPAP. Wow, that's a lot of stuff wrong with such a young guy...

Here's why I think I have diabetes (I am scheduled to see my doctor on Thursday by the way) Last week I stumbled across an Oprah episode headlining diabetes as the silent killer. It scared the crap out of me, I always had a thought of diabetes but never went into it much. They listed the symptoms and risk factors... my risk factors are being overweight, not active, and a fairly bad diet. Up until last monday I did eat junk foods like chips and chocolate.. I admit to it all... I didn't work out much at all or do much physical activity. At the time of watching the episode I didn't feel I had any of the symptoms... maybe blurry vision but I have always had bad eyes, especially reading/seeing things far away.

So, before this Oprah show finished I was on my treadmil, running my butt off. I was scared silly and totally felt a huge urge to start changing. I started eating smaller portions and better food choices as of last Monday. I hae exercised almost every day since then as well for half hour each time. My diet is much better compared to before, making sure to get fruit and veggies in each day and watching my carbs and bad foods basically.

With that out of the way, here's where I am getting scared and very confused, my anxiety disorder isn't helping my cause at all. Since I seen this episode I seem to be having more symptoms and they keep getting worse. My blurry vision suddenly seems worse and more apparent, it's always on my mind. When I don't obsess about it, it seems as always. Perhaps I am making my vision worse, or making my already poor eyesight seem like it's blurry vision. Either way, it's concering.

Aside from that I have had some tingling in my legs and feet, nothing major but noticeable. Again, this wasn't really happening before the Oprah show... but maybe I just didn't notice. I have also noticed today especially that my mouth seems more dry than usual.. (I have questions about these symptoms coming up) On top of that, I have lately noticed off and on that if I eat something for lunch or dinner, I will feel like I have the hunger pain sensation in my belly, but I am not actually hungry (at least I don't think I am) today was the worst for it. I ate a grilled chicken wrap and some blueberries at 2:00 and by 4:00 I had that sensation in my stomache??? I wasn't really hungry by any means but that feeling made it seem like I was. I know this doens't make sense , you'll have to bare with me as I am SUPER anxious right now. I read from one website that itching in the groin is a common symptom. While I am not itchy in my groin all the time, it does get itchy down there (pardon the too much information) quite often, could this just be from dry skin, being too hot down there, etc, etc..? (again I am sorry for the information) Aside from the above, that's the extent of my symptoms, I have been tired but like I said I have sleep apnea which has just been recently treated with CPAP so I don't really think this is a symptom of diabetes (but I won't rule it out)

What I don't have is extreme thirst, or frequent urination, two of the tell tale symptoms??

My big questions that I can't seem to wait until Thursday are:

- Is dry mouth meaning no saliva in the mouth at all, like being completely dried out? I think my dry mouth is just from mouth breathing really.
- How would you define extreme thirst?
- How would you define frequent urination?
- How would you define blurry vision, what is considered blurry vision?? I can see things fine up close, it's far away that seems blurry I suppose, computers always make my vision a bit off... but anything else seems fine.
- How would youdefine extreme hunger? Does this mean eating and eating and eating but still not feeling full?

I read one website (tandurust) and some of my symptoms seemed to match up so well, I am in panic mode. If you've read this far, THANK YOU. I can't wait to get to my doctors and have this sorted out.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also meant to note, I had blood tests last August which came back normal. My doctor wasn't concerned with my blood sugars when I asked him. I know that doesn't help now, but it hasn't been too too long since my last test.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh, sorry. I also wanted to ask...

How long does it take to develop diabetes? With my blood test last year, and my sudden onset of symptoms after watching Oprah... could it be this fast?? I don't doubt it, but I really can't say if I had any of these symptoms prior to this episode. I am just wondering if things can progress this fast or not?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome. The easiest thing for you to do right now is to drop by your local discount store; Walmart/Walgreens/Krogers/etc. all have inexpensive house brands of glucometers. Grab one and a boxful of testing strips and get a few readings. Take a reading when you get up in the morning before you eat anything. Take one an hour after you eat, and again two hours after you eat. Remember to log these readings and also log what you ate & how much. This will give you an idea where you are relative to diabetes. Normal non-diabetic numbers range between 70 and 130.

You prob'ly ARE noticing more since watching the show, but that doesn't necessarily mean your symptoms are imaginary. Testing your blood between now & Thursday will give you something positive to do, and it might even set your mind at ease somewhat.

Let us know what's happening - you aren't the first one to fall apart at the thought of being diabetic. But keep in mind that even if you ARE, it isn't a disaster. It may not be curable, but it's absolutely controllable, and you even know how to do that already - you've made the move to better eating habits & more exercise. Good for you!

Now go get a glucose meter. :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi there, I will try to make this as brief as I can (I'm bad at this..)

I am 23 years old, male, 5"8, 220lbs. I am overweight definitely. I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks which I take medication for. I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure last year which I take a beta blocker for now. I ALSO have sleep apnea which I treat with CPAP. Wow, that's a lot of stuff wrong with such a young guy...

Here's why I think I have diabetes (I am scheduled to see my doctor on Thursday by the way) Last week I stumbled across an Oprah episode headlining diabetes as the silent killer. It scared the crap out of me, I always had a thought of diabetes but never went into it much. They listed the symptoms and risk factors... my risk factors are being overweight, not active, and a fairly bad diet. Up until last monday I did eat junk foods like chips and chocolate.. I admit to it all... I didn't work out much at all or do much physical activity. At the time of watching the episode I didn't feel I had any of the symptoms... maybe blurry vision but I have always had bad eyes, especially reading/seeing things far away.

So, before this Oprah show finished I was on my treadmil, running my butt off. I was scared silly and totally felt a huge urge to start changing. I started eating smaller portions and better food choices as of last Monday. I hae exercised almost every day since then as well for half hour each time. My diet is much better compared to before, making sure to get fruit and veggies in each day and watching my carbs and bad foods basically.

With that out of the way, here's where I am getting scared and very confused, my anxiety disorder isn't helping my cause at all. Since I seen this episode I seem to be having more symptoms and they keep getting worse. My blurry vision suddenly seems worse and more apparent, it's always on my mind. When I don't obsess about it, it seems as always. Perhaps I am making my vision worse, or making my already poor eyesight seem like it's blurry vision. Either way, it's concering.

Aside from that I have had some tingling in my legs and feet, nothing major but noticeable. Again, this wasn't really happening before the Oprah show... but maybe I just didn't notice. I have also noticed today especially that my mouth seems more dry than usual.. (I have questions about these symptoms coming up) On top of that, I have lately noticed off and on that if I eat something for lunch or dinner, I will feel like I have the hunger pain sensation in my belly, but I am not actually hungry (at least I don't think I am) today was the worst for it. I ate a grilled chicken wrap and some blueberries at 2:00 and by 4:00 I had that sensation in my stomache??? I wasn't really hungry by any means but that feeling made it seem like I was. I know this doens't make sense , you'll have to bare with me as I am SUPER anxious right now. I read from one website that itching in the groin is a common symptom. While I am not itchy in my groin all the time, it does get itchy down there (pardon the too much information) quite often, could this just be from dry skin, being too hot down there, etc, etc..? (again I am sorry for the information) Aside from the above, that's the extent of my symptoms, I have been tired but like I said I have sleep apnea which has just been recently treated with CPAP so I don't really think this is a symptom of diabetes (but I won't rule it out)

What I don't have is extreme thirst, or frequent urination, two of the tell tale symptoms??

My big questions that I can't seem to wait until Thursday are:

- Is dry mouth meaning no saliva in the mouth at all, like being completely dried out? I think my dry mouth is just from mouth breathing really.
- How would you define extreme thirst?
- How would you define frequent urination?
- How would you define blurry vision, what is considered blurry vision?? I can see things fine up close, it's far away that seems blurry I suppose, computers always make my vision a bit off... but anything else seems fine.
- How would youdefine extreme hunger? Does this mean eating and eating and eating but still not feeling full?

I read one website (tandurust) and some of my symptoms seemed to match up so well, I am in panic mode. If you've read this far, THANK YOU. I can't wait to get to my doctors and have this sorted out.
Hi OCDP, welcome to the forum! First of all, I want you to know that I understand GAD and panic attacks, I suffer from both and it does make life a little difficult at times. It also causes needless worry and I think that we can make ourselves feel physically sick by worrying about a new disease or a symptom that we are having. Some people with diabetes have little to no symptoms at all upon diagnosis. I didn't have any signs of having diabetes. I was diagnosed after having a physical and blood tests were part of the physical. I did go through a period of time when I had no job and could not afford to test or treat my diabetes and I then started getting symptoms such as extreme thirst, I could not get enough to drink, I could easily drink 12 cans of pop in a 12 hour period. I was constantly urinating, probably 20 times a day, and I was up every night at least 3 times needing to pee. I had a vaginal yeast infection that was so bad, that I would cry myself to sleep, the intense itching and pain was terrible. My mouth was bone dry and I was miserable. I don't remember being extremely hungry. I was losing weight and did not know why. My vision was so blurry that I couldn't see with my glasses. I then decided that I was having too many problems and went and got a cheap glucose meter and some strips and all that I got on the meter was "HI", which usually means over 300 or 400. I had my Mom take me to the emergency room and by BG was about 478. I was given IV fluids and some insulin and was sent home with instructions to start looking for some way to afford buying insulin. I needed a strong course of antibiotics for the severe urinary tract infection that I had and needed some Diflucan for the yeast infection. I got some medication and then found a job and got back on track taking my diabetes medication. All of the symptoms went away. Do you have any family history of diabetes? Have you gotten a glucose meter to check your sugar levels at home? Getting a meter is important and would help you to see if your blood glucose levels are elevated. They need to be out of range for diagnosis. It is good that you are watching your diet and exercising, which may be part of the reason that you are feeling good. The bottom line is don't worry too much and get your anxiety level up. Do go and buy a meter tomorrow and see where you are and go from there. Keep us posted on your progress and take care.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi OCDP and welcome to the forum :)

First of all....deep breath :) Even if you *were* diabetic it isnt a reason to panic. It would be good, if you can, to grab a cheap meter at Walmart or someplace like that as they suggested. At least with that, you can see a number which might calm your fears a bit. Simply eating a bad diet wont turn you into a diabetic. It will make you fat, for sure....but not every overweight person is diabetic.

Extreme thirst is exactly that. No matter how much water, tea, etc you drink..you cannot quench it. I have drank so much water before that my stomach hurt...and still I was so thirsty it was nearly unbearable. Whenever we would go out for dinner, I would typically drink at least 6 glasses of tea. Sometimes the waiter would just put the pitcher on the table and leave it :)

Of course, drinking that much fluid has you running to bathroom constantly. I would wake up several times at night just to go to the bathroom.

My vision became so blurry and distorted that at one point I could not even see well enough to drive. It was a pretty quick worsening. It seemed like one day I could see fine...the next thing you know everything was distorted and blurry.

It seemed like the higher my blood sugar was, the hungrier I got. I was constantly munching on things, even when I was already full.

The good thing? All of those symptoms are gone now since my blood sugar is under control. So..it isnt the end of the world :) If it will ease your mind check your blood sugar at home, write it down and take it with you to the doctor. Be sure to tell your doctor about your concerns when you go.

Congratulations on the diet and exercise change! Getting healthy is good for everyone...not just diabetics...way to go!

Let us know what happens and if you have more questions and concerns.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi OCDP and Welcome!

I note you are in Canada also, so get thee to a Doctor and get some blood tests! Knowledge is power and gives you back control of the situation... whether you have Diabetes or not :)

I'm not a Doctor but I'd suggest starting with a Fasting Blood Glucose (BG), an A1c (which effectively shows your average BG over the last 3 months or so), and an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) to see how well or otherwise your body manages a Glucose challenge.

Here is my usual spiel on diet -- in this case it simply means "what I eat", as opposed to a drastic short-term weight-loss change. I am convinced that the general principles apply to anyone; with Diabetes or not... I apologise if it crosses any religious/cultural dietary taboos...

Real whole food, is the order of the day... preferably local and in-season, grown/reared on nutrient rich land... grass-fed beef and pastured chickens for example. This means eat whole (unprocessed, unpackaged, unadulterated) food, which includes a natural balance of fat, protein and carbohydrates (as well as vitamins, minerals etc...) ...there really is no need to be afraid of natural fat... it's gotten a bad rap.

Those of us with Diabetes need to pay particular attention to the foods which have the most effect on our Blood Glucose (BG) levels. There are obvious things to watch out for like candy, cola, cakes and sweets (these are high in refined/concentrated carbohydrates)... next in line are the "white" foods like bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, breakfast cereal... but even something assumed to be healthy like orange juice has about as much sugar as a cola... fat reduced milk can have an higher proportion of lactose (sugar), especially in low-fat products such as yogurts which may have High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) added to replace the fat... and so it goes on. That does not mean you need to feel deprived or hungry to eat this way, not by any means. You may even find you can work in an occasional family cake... for example. The keyword there being "occasional" as it used to be when our Grandparents baked cakes only for Birthdays etc... not everyday (muffins, donuts, pastries) for breakfast.

You may have heard the phrase "eat to your meter" and this deceptively simple message is very wise... test around your food and figure out what works best for YOU.

Learn to read nutritional labels AND ingredient lists. Be aware of hidden "sugars" -- mostly ending with "ose" -- and starches (such as Maltodextrin) which also quickly break down into sugars.

Some ideas for snacks: nuts, cheese, dark chocolate (70% cocoa or higher), pork rinds/scratchings, cold meats, boiled eggs, peanut butter.

While we are encouraged to eat "so many servings of fruit and veg daily", many of these can spike our BGs so test, test test... for many of us, green leafy vegetables seem to work best... but you may also help reduce/slow the BG spike by mixing foods... for example: instead of eating an apple by itself, try just half the apple in slices with some peanut butter or cheese... or have a few berries with some cream.

I'd suggest that BG control be your primary aim... while minimising the need for insulin; which is the major fat storage hormone -- reducing excess fat mass, improving cholesterol/lipids, hypertension etc... all these tend to improve with more normal BGs.

I am not big on setting unrealistic "exercise" goals... flogging yourself at the gym... unless you feel especially motivated to do so. I think you are better off with something sustainable in the long term. There are many health benefits of activity but I'm not convinced that losing weight is a major one. I do believe in building activity into your daily routine (rather than finding excuses for missing the gym)... take the stairs, park further away, get off the bus a stop earlier... go for a walk at lunchtime... take "smoke breaks" at work where you walk around the block instead. Physical activity can help with your BG numbers as it tends to lower Insulin Resistance (IR) , as well as using up glucose but as with food, it is advisable to test and see how it affects you.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got back from seeing my doctor. We sat down and I told him how this all started, an Oprah episode and then symptoms popped up and progressively got worse and worse and WORSE. He then was more concerned about my anxiety and the trigger effect rather than my symptoms and concerns.

He basically said I don't have the classic diabetes symptoms and he doesn't think I have it. He said blurry vision can be from medications (which i take two of) and that's not the first thing he looks at when diagnosing diabetes, he also said the same thing for my somewhat dry mouth, not very concerned.

I asked him about my blood tests I had in August 2009, and had more blood tests when I had my physical in November 2009, basically he said my results were fine. I asked if I was in the pre-diabetes range and he said no. So I guess I should be somewhat relieved? I then asked if things can change quickly from November until now... he wanted to say no but obviously being a doctor he can't , but did say it is a possibility. I could tell from his tone he wanted to just say no to me, but that's fine I understand there is still a chance.

He then wrote up some blood tests for me saying I won't be relieved and at ease until I know 100%. Honestly, he could have left it at what he told me and I would have left fine, but now I have anxiety towards the blood test results.. My birthday long weekend will be spent dreading Tuesday and the phone call telling me I have diabetes. I have to be hopeful though and keep in mind that he isn't very concerned at all.

So that's what is happening.. I am not sure what to think yet, I am just exhausted and my mind is still racing. I should be feeling better but sadly I am not.... yet.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am glad you saw your doctor, and thanks for getting back to us. Try not to stress over the blood test results. I am thinking he did them to reassure you that you are fine, than because he thought anything was wrong. Chances are very high that you are fine, so try to focus on that. I will keep my fingers crossed for you...and try to enjoy your birthday :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I just got back from seeing my doctor. We sat down and I told him how this all started, an Oprah episode and then symptoms popped up and progressively got worse and worse and WORSE. He then was more concerned about my anxiety and the trigger effect rather than my symptoms and concerns.

He basically said I don't have the classic diabetes symptoms and he doesn't think I have it. He said blurry vision can be from medications (which i take two of) and that's not the first thing he looks at when diagnosing diabetes, he also said the same thing for my somewhat dry mouth, not very concerned.

I asked him about my blood tests I had in August 2009, and had more blood tests when I had my physical in November 2009, basically he said my results were fine. I asked if I was in the pre-diabetes range and he said no. So I guess I should be somewhat relieved? I then asked if things can change quickly from November until now... he wanted to say no but obviously being a doctor he can't , but did say it is a possibility. I could tell from his tone he wanted to just say no to me, but that's fine I understand there is still a chance.

He then wrote up some blood tests for me saying I won't be relieved and at ease until I know 100%. Honestly, he could have left it at what he told me and I would have left fine, but now I have anxiety towards the blood test results.. My birthday long weekend will be spent dreading Tuesday and the phone call telling me I have diabetes. I have to be hopeful though and keep in mind that he isn't very concerned at all.

So that's what is happening.. I am not sure what to think yet, I am just exhausted and my mind is still racing. I should be feeling better but sadly I am not.... yet.
Get a glucose meter, that should give you some peace of mind. Try and not to be stressed out. Your doctor is just playing it safe. Try and enjoy your birthday!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Take control and do something to look after yourself... anything... doesn't have to be a big thing... baby steps is just fine. For example: the diet and activity advice I posted above is about healthy choices for ANYONE... with Diabetes or not. :)

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, I am back and have a few important questions. I forgot to update this thread with the results to my blood tests.. all came back fine! No diabetes, and no pre-diabetes. So that was a good thing. I never actually got the numbers to the tests and my anxiety crept back up because I thought there was still a good chance I might have it (had high-normal numbers, etc.)

So I went to him last Thursday and my results were as follows.

Random Blood Glucose test: 4.7 (this was after eating a granola bar at 10:30am and had blood taken at 2:15)
Hemoglobin A1C: 5.6%

My diet the previous three months has been anything but good so I wasn't expecting amazing numbers there. My doctor said both of these numbers were good and didn't warrant further testing (fasting or oral tolerance) I trust him and left the office feeling pretty good and finally had some peace of mind. The weekend went well and my symptoms seemed much less intense (obviously my anxiety was playing a big role)

This brings me back to today unfortunately. I am wondering one thing mainly and that is, if I am NOT diabetic, could I still have hypoglycemia?? Or rather, if I DID have hypoglycemia would it be related to Diabetes? Everyone says my results are good and not to worry and relax, I am healthy (in the way of diabetes, anyways)

I ask because it seems when I eat, anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour after I start feeling crappy, like I did today. What I had for lunch, a chicken breast, 3 slices of cheddar cheese, 4 or 5 mult-grain crackers. Didn't seem to "carb heavy" to me but I could be wrong. Now, this morning for whatever stupid reason (hot day, been doing well with no sugar) I had a frappucino from starbucks (no coffee in it) I highly doubt it was from that but hey, I won't rule it out. This happened after lunch. I start to get tired, then more tired, and then eventually I feel sweaty, and a bit faint, and it gets worse, then I just generally feel unwell. It scares the crap out of me.

I'm trying to convince myself it's just my anxiety disorder as if I was shown not to have diabetes then why would this happen!? Sorry for such a long post, but I am concerned and really scared. I am super tired still (but I also have sleep apnea) it's really hard to say because hypoglycemia has many of the same symptoms as general anxiety, thus making me more confused and causing more anxiety.

Any insight please?? Could I still really have diabetes or is this just something totally unrelated to it??

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Argh, no edit button. I also wanted to mention that I have eaten all weekend and not felt this way.. so it seems random. I have had some carby meals this weekend and didn't feel nearly as bad as I did today. I thought chicken was low carb and healthy for you?

I've (and don't judge me too badly) had cookies this weekend, crackers, nachos, etc, etc you get my jist. I didn't eat well this weekend basically and this didn't happen. So why after a somewhat healthy lunch does this occur?? Again, I am even more confused!!

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After reading someones post on here I am a bit freaked out, I am thinking it has something to do with my insulin and not blood sugar. All's that was tested was random blood sugar and A1C. This has only been happening for a couple weeks really, and not all the time.

But I did have a physical back in November so I am thinking that would have been tested back then? (hopefully)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
After reading someones post on here I am a bit freaked out, I am thinking it has something to do with my insulin and not blood sugar. All's that was tested was random blood sugar and A1C. This has only been happening for a couple weeks really, and not all the time.

But I did have a physical back in November so I am thinking that would have been tested back then? (hopefully)
Your blood sugar and your A1c were good. If you are really concerned about it, and it would give you some peace of mind, get an inexpensive meter (Walmart sells a very good inexpensive one) and next time yiou feel that way, check your blood sugar to see if its low. That way, at least you will know and not have to worry about that anymore :)

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for replying, I may have to get a meter.

Based on my test result numbers would you think this would be anything diabetes related? Can one get hypoglycemia without having it, or is developing it? My mind is still stuck on that fact that I have it when my test results clearly show that I do not. I think I'd have more symptoms more often too, rather than only feeling this way AFTER eating, never before or anything.

I think we've all experienced hypoglycemia with or without diabetes at some point, usually from not eating all day and feeling off. When this happens to me it doesn't feel the same as when I get hit with these symptoms after I eat. When I haven't eaten all day and can feel my BS get low, it feels like I need food NOW, or sugar, like a pepsi and if I continue to go without I feel weak, tired, etc.

I do feel like this after eating but not nearly to that extreme, so perhaps this is anxiety, who knows. If this continues I will definitely without a doubt be buying a meter, but for now I think I am going to stay away from that as even my doctor advised against buying one due to my anxiety, it could make things worse (always testing, always worrying about the results) But as I mentioned, if this persists then I will be doing something about it. I really just wanted your opinions based on my test results as I find all of this so confusing and just want to make sure I am okay.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you get a meter and test yourself when these episodes occur, you will have concrete evidence whether or not you are low. If you are low, the meter will also give you data to take to your doctor, providing you keep a food journal to show him what you ate, when you ate it, and what happened to your blood sugar.

You may find better help with this problem on a forum devoted to anxiety issues. While some of us experience anxiety and may even be treated for it, we are first and foremost a support group for diabetics.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, I went out and bought a meter. It for some reason was a difficult thing to do, maybe I am afraid to know but enough is enough, it's time to rule this out whatever it is. I am leaning towards anxiety but really have my doubts.

I tested before lunch, all's I have had today was one of those Fibre1 granola bars at around 10:40am. I tested at around 2:50. The result was 4.7 (again) So that was nice to see at least. I just finished eating a small lunch (tuna with a pack of sezme snaps) so I will test around 5:30. I know I shouldn't be testing but I am curious to see what happens with my numbers. From here on I will test when I start feeling off.. I don't need to test all the time based on my blood work results.

Glad I made this step, but have to remind myself not to over-do it as I know I don't have diabetes. But it will be a sure fire way to rule out whatever is going on after certain meals.

On a side note, I was happy to see that same 4.7.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Okay, I went out and bought a meter. It for some reason was a difficult thing to do, maybe I am afraid to know but enough is enough, it's time to rule this out whatever it is. I am leaning towards anxiety but really have my doubts.

I tested before lunch, all's I have had today was one of those Fibre1 granola bars at around 10:40am. I tested at around 2:50. The result was 4.7 (again) So that was nice to see at least. I just finished eating a small lunch (tuna with a pack of sezme snaps) so I will test around 5:30. I know I shouldn't be testing but I am curious to see what happens with my numbers. From here on I will test when I start feeling off.. I don't need to test all the time based on my blood work results.

Glad I made this step, but have to remind myself not to over-do it as I know I don't have diabetes. But it will be a sure fire way to rule out whatever is going on after certain meals.

On a side note, I was happy to see that same 4.7.
I am glad you got a meter. This way you will be able to tell what your blood glucose is when you begin to feel funny. You probably already know this, but anxiety can cause so many problems. You can also worry for no reason and you can make yourself physically sick. I have suffered from anxiety/panic attacks for more than 30 years and have had a couple of stomach ulcers that I probably got worrying over things I could do nothing about. I DO believe that often what we worry about does happen and I think this is just part of life. It sounds like your anxiety level is quite high and perhaps you can get your doctor to increase your anxiety medication while you sort this eating issue out. I haven't really found any good forums for anxiety. The few that are out there have a small member base and the threads go without replies for days and even weeks. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me and I will be more than happy to try and help you through this.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am glad you got a meter. This way you will be able to tell what your blood glucose is when you begin to feel funny. You probably already know this, but anxiety can cause so many problems. You can also worry for no reason and you can make yourself physically sick. I have suffered from anxiety/panic attacks for more than 30 years and have had a couple of stomach ulcers that I probably got worrying over things I could do nothing about. I DO believe that often what we worry about does happen and I think this is just part of life. It sounds like your anxiety level is quite high and perhaps you can get your doctor to increase your anxiety medication while you sort this eating issue out. I haven't really found any good forums for anxiety. The few that are out there have a small member base and the threads go without replies for days and even weeks. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me and I will be more than happy to try and help you through this.
Thanks for the reply. My anxiety any other day is completely manageable, I just get these flare ups of health anxiety and sometimes (like now) they last too long. Other than that, my anxiety is well controlled as hard as that may be to believe.

Hopefully that what I fear (diabetes) won't come true for me, although the more I keep testing and worrying I am sure I'll find something wrong with me eventually. I am not testing anymore as of today, only when I feel bad.. that is why I bought it. Yesterday I used it simply to see how my body reacts to foods and what affect it has on my blood sugars.

My fasting glucose this morning 10 minutes after waking was 5.0 . About 30 minutes after it was 4.6 and then at one hour I got three readings, 4.6,5.0 and 4.8 . So from what I gather this is an okay fasting glucose, but not amazing?

Anyways, that is the last test I will perform unless I start feeling crappy after meals.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts