The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a loss.

I am a public school teacher. When I relocated to Maryland for a new job I chose the most expensive insurance plan possible to cover my supplies for type 1 diabetes. I use a pump.

I am insured through CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield in Maryland. Because of my insurance policy, I am NOT allowed to get diabetes supplies through a local pharmacy, or ANY pharmacy. I am only allowed to mail-order supplies from a "medical supplier." This would be fine, except I can't find a medical supplier who can provide me with the supplies I need. I found one in Florida but they are no longer allowed to mail insulin to Maryland because of state restrictions.

When I talk to the insurance company they just tell me wrong information. One woman told me that I am able to order through my local pharmacy, which turned out to be false. Another told me to order through Liberty Mutual, which is...car insurance?! When I found Liberty Medical, which I assume is what they meant, they are a pharmacy so I can't order through them.

I've been spending thousands of dollars on my supplies throughout all this because no one can tell me where I'm allowed to order from online.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone have a good medical supplier who ships to Maryland, isn't a pharmacy, and has insulin & testing supplies? Please, please, please offer your advice or recommendations. I need help and haven't found it yet despite hours and hours of searching. How is it this hard? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
What a nightmare! I regret having nothing to offer but sympathy, as I know nothing about this insurance issue. Hopefully someone will be able to be of help. It's unconscionable that your insurance company can't offer resources, but then, that wouldn't help their bottom line would it?

Hope you'll join us in discussing diabetes in general, as well as your history, management, etc. Our introduction area is here.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I looked up your insurance on line and it says Walgreens is the pharmacy you are suppose to use or you use the mail order they have on their site.
With our bc/bs we can use pharmacy or mail order. I know all policies are different but something just doesn't seem right with yours.
I'm sure you have checked into this but just seems like impossible to expect you to go through all that.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I've figured it out...

In case anyone else runs across this problem (which I think people have!), here are some of the companies I've come across in my search. Some are pharmacies and some are medical suppliers. The BEST ones (for my situation, at least) seem to be:

1) Diabetes Specialty Center
2) Sterling Medical Services
3) Edgepark

For Sterling and Diabetes Specialty Center it seems like I'll be able to get insulin, and everything else, online from them.

I also came across these suppliers/online pharmacies:

1.Novo Nordisk
2.CareCentrix
3.FreedoMed
4.E Medical Supplies, Inc
5.CareMark (CVS online)
6.Pumps It, Inc.

Many thanks to those of you who answered my question. I'm going to try and place an order at Diabetes Specialty Center or Sterling Medical today or tomorrow and hopefully it all goes through!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Minerva? I hope you'll stay with us as you continue your diabetes journey . . . it's been great getting to know you and I'm glad we were able to help sort out this damnable insurance obstruction you were faced with.

Sure hope to see you more often.

·
Registered
568 Posts
~~ Minerva ~~~

Welcome to our forum!! I am so glad some of our members were able to help (they always come through, it seems).

Imus t say I am absolutely appalled that you have to go to these lengths to get the supplies that are so essential to your health. I am having my own issues due to limitations imposed by Medicare. I can get the supplies, just not enough to really be able to manage my BG. So I have to pay out of pocket. Seems to me our health coverage in the US still has a long ways to go.

Good luck to you! Please check back with us and let us know how it goes.
Gretchen

Reactions: GreeceDweller

·
Banned
116 Posts
~~ Minerva ~~~

Seems to me our health coverage in the US still has a long ways to go.
Gretchen
Gretchen, in Greece we are fast becoming America when it comes to substandard health care. Some of big Pharm.. companies have stopped providing cancer meds to Greek hospitals due to lack of payment. Now, the only way these people are getting their meds is hand in wallet even though they have insurance in some cases, as their SSAN system is broke here. I feel sorry for them, and no longer do I get annoyed when they complain about our US system since there system is getting worse.

Although still cheaper on the average for doc/meds here in Greece than I remember in the USA...

Reactions: GretchenRS

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
minerva266 said:
In case anyone else runs across this problem (which I think people have!), here are some of the companies I've come across in my search. Some are pharmacies and some are medical suppliers. The BEST ones (for my situation, at least) seem to be:

1) Diabetes Specialty Center
2) Sterling Medical Services
3) Edgepark

For Sterling and Diabetes Specialty Center it seems like I'll be able to get insulin, and everything else, online from them.

I also came across these suppliers/online pharmacies:

1.Novo Nordisk
2.CareCentrix
3.FreedoMed
4.E Medical Supplies, Inc
5.CareMark (CVS online)
6.Pumps It, Inc.

Many thanks to those of you who answered my question. I'm going to try and place an order at Diabetes Specialty Center or Sterling Medical today or tomorrow and hopefully it all goes through!!
I too am having to deal with medical suppliers now. Edgepark is just on the other side of the state from me. As soon as we got the new insurance thing straightened out I had my supplies in 2 days. It was very frustrating though as getting the insurance stuff straight took 3 weeks. Fortunately my pump company came through and sent me 2 weeks of supplies as a courtesy to get me through :)

Medco is now expresscripts FYI :)

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
169 Posts
When the nsurance thing is straightened out you should be able to back-file the charges you paid out-of-pocket, as long as they are in the benefit year. Hope you saved receipts!;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Federal blue cross blue shield says we can use local pharmacy and pay 20% or use Caremark. They switch back and forth from Caremark to Medco.
No matter what 90 day supply of generic is $15 and $70 for 90 day supply of name brand as long as you mail order it from them.
Kristina is right...turn in the receipts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kristina is right...turn in the receipts.
You know, I tried turning in my receipts for Humalog with reimbursement forms attached and the claim came back denied. There was no explanation include of why and no one at BCBS would tell me either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am at a loss.

I am a public school teacher. When I relocated to Maryland for a new job I chose the most expensive insurance plan possible to cover my supplies for type 1 diabetes. I use a pump.

I am insured through CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield in Maryland. Because of my insurance policy, I am NOT allowed to get diabetes supplies through a local pharmacy, or ANY pharmacy. I am only allowed to mail-order supplies from a "medical supplier." This would be fine, except I can't find a medical supplier who can provide me with the supplies I need. I found one in Florida but they are no longer allowed to mail insulin to Maryland because of state restrictions.

When I talk to the insurance company they just tell me wrong information. One woman told me that I am able to order through my local pharmacy, which turned out to be false. Another told me to order through Liberty Mutual, which is...car insurance?! When I found Liberty Medical, which I assume is what they meant, they are a pharmacy so I can't order through them.

I've been spending thousands of dollars on my supplies throughout all this because no one can tell me where I'm allowed to order from online.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone have a good medical supplier who ships to Maryland, isn't a pharmacy, and has insulin & testing supplies? Please, please, please offer your advice or recommendations. I need help and haven't found it yet despite hours and hours of searching. How is it this hard? :confused:
Hi, Minerva266
CCS Medical in Florida handles diabetic and wound care supplies. CCS in Colorado is a pharmacy. I'v been down that road. It's no fun. But, if you end up calling the wrong CCS Medical they wil steer you right to where you should be. At least, that's been my experience

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
minerva266 said:
You know, I tried turning in my receipts for Humalog with reimbursement forms attached and the claim came back denied. There was no explanation include of why and no one at BCBS would tell me either.
Did you have a certificate of credible coverage from your former insurance? That was my issue. Once I faxed it to my new insurance things changed. They wanted to pre exist my diabetes without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts