The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started dating my now girlfriend and from the beginning, i felt like i wanted to take care of her. She is 22 years old, has a daughter, and has been through alot of bad in her life. I want to be the good in it. I have learned alot more about diabetes in the past 3 weeks than i have ever known in my life, but i need more information. I dont want to ask her because she gets very emotional about it and she gets very sad.

I want her to have a healthier diet, but we go out for food alot because we do not have access to a kitchen.
What can i do or where should we eat that is best for her health?

Also, she likes to go out and drink(alcohol) with her friend...alot, she has a bit of a drinking problem, but i cannot really judge because i do also myself. however, since we met, we are helping each other drink less often.
What kind of toll will this take on her body? Is there any way she can drink and not have consequences later?

Out of 5 frozen yogurt places we have visited, there has not been one with a sugar-free option.
What is a good alternative?

When i am sick and doctors give me medication, i rarely ever take it, and i just fight it off eventually so when we get up in the morning and she tells me that she feels okay, i asked her if she could skip the insulin until she really feels like she needs it, and maybe she will eventually not need any...is that possible?

she got the diabetes after having her child, what are the chances that she and i can have healthy children in the future?

my friends and i are planning a hiking trip this summer, are there any emergency items/information i should bring/know about if she comes with us? i dont want to make her stress too much.

sometimes when her sugar is too high, she will take another shot of insulin or take another pill, and then it will go too low a few moments later, and she will eat something really sugary, so her sugar level is going up and down and up... is that really bad for her?

i have alot more questions, but i guess this is all i can think of right now. please help with answers if possible
thanks,
andrew

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome!

Hi, Andy!

Your girlfriend is a very lucky woman!

You've found a great place! Lots of info and support here. I'd suggest browsing among the threads. You can do a search to find specific info.

I'm a Type 2, but am insulin-dependent. Recently diagnosed, but I can help you with a couple of questions. I suspect that more knowledgeable folks can help you with the rest.

I want her to have a healthier diet, but we go out for food alot because we do not have access to a kitchen.
Many eateries post menus online. Assuming your girlfriend is diet-aware, you can choose meals, or rule out an establishment, before you go. (I like buffets with a wide selection of salads, meat and seafood.)

She can ask for, say, lettuce leaves to replace bread, or other substitutions for carb-y dishes. If she has more self-control than I do, there is also the option of ordering a high-protein sandwich with salad, and leaving the bread on the plate.

When i am sick and doctors give me medication, i rarely ever take it, and i just fight it off eventually so when we get up in the morning and she tells me that she feels okay, i asked her if she could skip the insulin until she really feels like she needs it, and maybe she will eventually not need any...is that possible?
That does not work with insulin!!!

Ahem. Not yelling, just emphasizing. :)

Like you, I like to use as little medicine as possible. But insulin is a whole different animal. It actually supplements, or pretty much replaces, a malfunctioning pancreas.

It doesn't matter how she feels. She's gotta take it. Under medical supervision and counseling, she may be able to tweak doses up or down to prevent highs and lows. But Type 1s cannot wean themselves off insulin altogether. Nature of the dia-beastie.

my friends and i are planning a hiking trip this summer, are there any emergency items/information i should bring/know about if she comes with us? i dont want to make her stress too much.
She'll need to bring glucose meter, insulin, syringes and her other meds. Also, glucose tabs and sweet stuff for lows. And she'll need to stick to her treatment schedule. Might be a good idea to test more often, so she should pack more supplies than she thinks she'll need. (Yeah, it's a pain. But the alternative could be dire. My gear goes with me everywhere.)

Please make sure you pack foods she can eat, and plenty of them. Hopefully she can take charge of that detail. She should know best.

sometimes when her sugar is too high, she will take another shot of insulin or take another pill, and then it will go too low a few moments later, and she will eat something really sugary, so her sugar level is going up and down and up... is that really bad for her?
Does not sound good. Does she have access to a doctor? If not, perhaps she could check into free or low-cost diabetes education.

I only take insulin in conjunction with meals -- insulin first, food later, and the timing on food is very important. Figuring that out depends largely on the type of insulin she's taking.

Once again, your girlfriend is lucky to have such a supportive boyfriend!

Hope I've been some help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks so much, Shalynne. i appreciate it. ive gone to the doctor with her and am trying to learn more and help her. she is also still learning about herself and figuring out better ways to handle it...thanks again!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I recently started dating my now girlfriend and from the beginning, i felt like i wanted to take care of her. She is 22 years old, has a daughter, and has been through alot of bad in her life. I want to be the good in it. I have learned alot more about diabetes in the past 3 weeks than i have ever known in my life, but i need more information. I dont want to ask her because she gets very emotional about it and she gets very sad.

Also, she likes to go out and drink(alcohol) with her friend...alot, she has a bit of a drinking problem, but i cannot really judge because i do also myself. however, since we met, we are helping each other drink less often.
What kind of toll will this take on her body? Is there any way she can drink and not have consequences later?

Out of 5 frozen yogurt places we have visited, there has not been one with a sugar-free option.
What is a good alternative?

she got the diabetes after having her child, what are the chances that she and i can have healthy children in the future?

i have alot more questions, but i guess this is all i can think of right now. please help with answers if possible
thanks,
andrew
Hi Andy, and welcome to the forum! I will agree with Shalynne that what you are doing for your girlfriend is wonderful and she's very lucky to have you to help her through this.

As a new diabetic, I am still learning myself and I think that Shalynne answered your questions better than I can and there will be many others who are way more knowledgeable than the two of us together who will chime in.

What concerns me is your girlfriend's drinking. I don't want to sound judgemental, but seriously, it needs to stop and right away. From how you put it, it doesn't seem like it's a glass of wine here and there. I don't know all the particulars, but the liver plays an important part in diabetes and sugar control, and the alcohol CANNOT be helping that. Please, for both your sakes, stop the drinking altogether. It can only help the situation.

Take care! :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
thanks so much, Shalynne. i appreciate it. ive gone to the doctor with her and am trying to learn more and help her. she is also still learning about herself and figuring out better ways to handle it...thanks again!
You're very welcome. Hope it helps!

Others know a lot more than I do. Please ask more questions, they'll come around with answers.

Your girlfriend will be most welcome here, if she wishes to join us as well.

I'm very glad she has access to care. I've found that learning directly from fellow diabetics is every bit as important as professional advice.

Take care! Keep us posted!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts