The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My name is Racheal. I am a student and I am current doing a volunteer project for a non-profit diabetes organization in Australia.
Australia has a free service called National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) where people with diabetes can get:
• Subsidized testing strips for checking blood glucose
• Free insulin syringes and pen-needles (if you require insulin)
• Subsidized insulin pumps consumables
• Information and support services
The way NDSS works is you filled in the form and sends it to any one NDSS agents to register. You can get discount from any pharmacies or order products directly from NDSS. You can order up to 180 days of supplies.

The benefits are significant. However, about 75% of people with diabetes registered, only 25% actually use NDSS.
I am really appreciated if you could give me some opinions about NDSS from your perspectives as people who suffered from diabetes such as:

What do you think of NDSS?
Do you find it useful?
Will you register and actually use the NDSS?
What do you think the NDSS should improve?
Your opinions are very valuable to help us determined why the NDSS has not been used effectively.
Thank you.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You may want to chance the name...

National Diabetes Services
Scheme a clever often underhanded means to achieve an end <an e-mail scheme to trick unwary Internet users into disclosing passwords and financial information>
Synonyms artifice, device, dodge, fetch, flimflam, gambit, gimmick, jig, juggle, knack, play, ploy, scheme, shenanigan, sleight, stratagem, wile
Related Words bluff, end run, feint; cheating, chicanery, cozenage, craft, crookery, cunning, deception, dupery, duplicity, fakery, jugglery, legerdemain, skulduggery (or skullduggery), subterfuge, swindling, trickery; fraud, gaff, hoax, sham, swindle; blind, front, smoke screen

2 a secret plan for accomplishing evil or unlawful ends <a scheme to kidnap the president's daughter>

bugg:confused:just a thought

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately "scheme" has several definitions, one of which is synonymous with scam.

Definition of SCHEME
1. a) archaic (1) : a mathematical or astronomical diagram (2) : a representation of the astrological aspects of the planets at a particular time b) : a graphic sketch or outline

2. a concise statement or table

3. a plan or program of action; especially : a crafty or secret one

4. a systematic or organized configuration : IE: design <color scheme>

I think they were going for the 4th one...

Now we'll have to wait for our Aussie members to chime in.

O

·
0 Posts
What do you think of NDSS?
Do you find it useful?
Will you register and actually use the NDSS?
What do you think the NDSS should improve?
Your opinions are very valuable to help us determined why the NDSS has not been used effectively.
Thank you.
Hi Rachael
I'm a West Australian that uses the NDSS system... it's great. I really appeciate that we have this service available. I do have a couple of suggestions for improvement though:
1) Why are lancets not included? They are a necessity to any diabetic and some lancets cost more than others. It would be nice to have these discounted also.
2) The pharmacies that are providing NDSS service don't always stock everything... I find this frustrating that I have to literally shop around pharmacies to find stuff. Shouldn't they all stock the same products? Eg. test strips, they run out and don't restock... then sometimes they don't sell lancets you may use, etc. The pharmacy I usually go to seems to never stock all sizes of disposable sharps containers (these containers aren't included on your discounts either).... only really small ones. It's not unusual for me to go to 3 pharmacies just to find what I need. I think you have a good service... but pharmacies need to support it by stocking things properly. When you go to a pharmacy that advertises your service and sells that it's servicing all diabetics.... that's what you expect.
3) The membership cards are easily damaged... it would be nice to see a more durable card.

I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I wish they had that in the US. Many of us even with insurance have to buy our own test strips and it is very expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2) The pharmacies that are providing NDSS service don't always stock everything... I find this frustrating that I have to literally shop around pharmacies to find stuff. Shouldn't they all stock the same products? Eg. test strips, they run out and don't restock... then sometimes they don't sell lancets you may use, etc. The pharmacy I usually go to seems to never stock all sizes of disposable sharps containers (these containers aren't included on your discounts either).... only really small ones. It's not unusual for me to go to 3 pharmacies just to find what I need. I think you have a good service... but pharmacies need to support it by stocking things properly. When you go to a pharmacy that advertises your service and sells that it's servicing all diabetics.... that's what you expect.
Hi Onlymep, thanks for your opinions.
Since you said some of the pharmacies are not well-stocked. Have you ever tried to order directly from NDSS? If not, why?
By the way, how often do you buy your medicine?
And where did you hear about the NDSS ( it'll help us determine the means to generate more awareness for the NDSS).

Thank you so much. Since you are using the NDSS, your opinion is very valuable. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts