The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is a little freaky...

About two years ago, I had a glucometer because my cat was once misdiagnosed as diabetic... that's a long story. But anyway, I found this meter with its year-old open (but recapped) bottle of test strips, and I played with it, testing my own BG. 200s. Between the fact that these strips had been open for at least a year, the fact that I had no symptoms at that time, and that I had no insurance and was unemployed, I ignored it as a "glitch" from using ancient strips.

Today, I'm a T1 diabetic, diagnosed barely more than 4 months ago.

Well, I was just now reminded of all this because I apparently posted on Tudiabetes way back then, asking about whether expired strips are reliable. I totally forgot about all this, until someone just responded. I was shocked to see it was two whole years ago, and shocked to be reminded that the numbers had been 234 and 249, fasting.

This makes me wonder if I actually have LADA/1.5. From what I understand, most T1s don't walk around with undiagnosed diabetes for at least two years, like I apparently have... their symptoms land them in the emergency room within 6 months to a year, if they don't think to visit the doctor first.

I'll mention this to my endocrinologist when I next visit, but I'm wondering if there's much point in pursuing a diagnosis of LADA if she doesn't jump right on it? I mean, is the treatment any different than T1? I've been responding very well to insulin therapy, though I have to take very little of it compared to most diabetics my age/size. (My basal rate on my pump adds up to only adds up to 5.55 units per day! Though my I:C ratios are 1:10, on average, which seems a little more typical.)

Freaky stuff, that I probably walked around with such high blood sugars for over two years. This also makes me so thankful that no complications have been detected so far... but much more eager to get to get my eyes checked out, because that's one thing I haven't done yet. (Oh yeah, and I'm so thankful I have insurance and a job this time around!)

·
Registered
633 Posts
No there is no need to persue it. They are the same disease the only thing that is different is the time of onset. Since your basal rate is fairly low you might ask him to do a test to see how much insulin you are still making.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's good to have you back, Lizzi, and it sounds like you're doing well managing this . . . plus you're pumping already. Excellent.

Great that no complications have set in, and do get your eyes checked as soon as you can. Can't hurt to mention to your endo about the LADA aspect, but the treatment is prob'ly the same - it's just in getting the specifics straight on your medical chart.

Again, it's great to have you back - I hope you'll be visiting often! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts