The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Laura Dolson Almond Polenta Recipe - How to Make Polenta or Grits From Almond Meal

Ingredients:

1 cup almond meal or almond flour (they are essentially the same thing)
1 cup water
salt (about ¼ teaspoon if you're using the cheese, which is salty. closer to ½ a teaspoon otherwise)
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (if you are using a microplane grater, which makes it fluffier, use about 2/3 cup) (Note: Do NOT use the dried grated cheese from the shelf!)
pepper

Preparation:
Put almond meal, water, and salt in a medium-sized pot. Whisk until almond meal is free of lumps. Bring to boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally. Once mixture is boiling, whisk continuously for 1-2 minutes, until it visibly thickens. Remove from heat, and whisk in cheese, whisking until it is fully melted. Add pepper to taste.

Notes: Mixture will thicken as it cools. The thickness also varies somewhat depending upon the almond meal. If you want it thinner, simply add a little more water. It reheats fine, but it's drier, so add a little more water if you do this. Also, note that it is more filling than regular polenta or grits, so you'll probably want a smaller serving size.

Serving Suggestion: My favorite way to serve this polenta is with sauteed greens (spinach, chard, kale, etc), often with one or more of the following: onions, mushrooms, bacon, garlic.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Wifes a true blue Elli May Southern Gal, tried this on her, didn't pass the muster, I liked them good enough though.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
916 Posts
lol me too. I am a Grits. Girl raised in the South.

I haven't had grits in a mouth of sundays :(

If I really want them I will just make the real thing.
I haven't tho. Nor have I had southern biscuits or corn bread ..
sigh...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts