The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever made pork chops with Brandi's breading in the oven? Should I dip it in egg first, or just use the breading like you would Shake 'n Bake? What temperature and time? Should I turn it over halfway through baking?

Sheeeee, with all these questions, sounds like I'm asking you to come over and do it for me. Wait, that sounds like a pretty darn good idea to me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've never heard of Brandi's breading, what is it? I do chicken but soak it in an egg mix with spices and mustard and then dip it in an almond meal/spice mix. It doesn't stick quite as well as flour breading but it is close.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The link for Brandi's Breading is here. It's an excellent low-carb breading for those that like breaded/fried anything.

I've finished my cooking in the oven with this breading... But never wholly cooked something in the oven.

I did some fried chicken that way when I was too lazy to watch it properly... I fried it in oil on the stove-top until the breading/skin was crisp, then threw it in the oven to finish. It came out great that way.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've done the same as Beefy - fry it in oil until crisp & finish it in the oven. Especially chicken, to make absolutely certain it's fully cooked.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer fried myself, but dh has been sticking his nose up at it, he likes it made with something called Oven Fry, which is like Shake 'n Bake, only doesn't tast like it, is much better. But it is too high in carbs. dh might just have to suck it up and eat the fried.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
do you want to eat the breading or just the texture or the tenderness of the pork under it?
I don't know about others, but for me the answer is "yes" to both. This is why I like the Brandi's breading recipe so much.

It tastes so good you think it's bad for you. But it's not. :)

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
do you want to eat the breading or just the texture or the tenderness of the pork under it?
Same as Beefy, I ABSOLUTELY want to eat the breading, and furthermore, I want the GRAVY that can be made with the glorious pan drippings! :D Since I use cream (diluted with water) to make the gravy, it's only 1 or 2g of carb too - for the whole skilletful.

Brandi's Breading adds only about 1g carb per pork chop, where the commercial powders add about 10g.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gravy!!!!!! Now you're talkin' my language! Thanks Shanny, breaded and fried pork chops topped with gravy. If he turns his nose up at that, I'll have to punch it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Gravy!!!!!! Now you're talkin' my language! Thanks Shanny, breaded and fried pork chops topped with gravy. If he turns his nose up at that, I'll have to punch it.
:D :D :D

It works the same of about everything . . . fried chicken, breaded pork chops, chicken-fried steak . . . all need that fabulous cream gravy!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good news for my husband, I didn't have to take him out after all, he loved the chops, and the gravy was the crowning glory.

For my next feat, I will attempt to make stuffed peppers without any rice, bread or crackers for filler. Since gravy can make even shoe leather taste good, too bad there's no such thing as stuffed pepper gravy. Or do you have a stuffed pepper gravy recipe up your sleeve, Shanny? I wouldn't be at all surprised. :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Why not put tomato sauce over them and then make tomato gravy to go on them? My aunt used to do her rice ones that way and the flavor was wonderful! Hmmm, gotta give that a try myself!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Heck yeah - tomato juice is what I always used, Pat. No surprise, eh Joyce?! heehee

I made the sauce like this:

1/4 cup butter
1 or 2 tbsp. flour
1 or 2 tsp. sweetener
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1½ cups tomato juice

(make a roux with the butter/flour, add the seasonings & slowly blend in the tomato juice. Heat until it begins to thicken & then pour it over the previously filled peppers & cook for an hour - either on top of the stove or in a 350F/170C oven.)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
But wouldn't the breading make a good filling with everything else and tomato juice over them? And then use the rest of the breading to make the gravy?

Can I come to supper? :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But wouldn't the breading make a good filling with everything else and tomato juice over them? And then use the rest of the breading to make the gravy?

Can I come to supper? :)
Sounds like a good plan. You bring the stuffed peppers, I'll furnish the silverware. :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what about deep fry grounded up cauliflower with the porkchop?
The pork chops are long gone, we had tossed salad and mixed greens with them.

I have a deep frier, but if I dumped ground up cauliflower in there, what a mess that would be! :noidea: There must be more to it than that.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally got around to making the stuffed peppers. I felt like I had to use some kind of filler to absorb liquid since they pump a ton of water into meat these days so it weighs more so they can dig deeper into our pockets (she said as she stepped down from her soapbox). So I processed 2 low-carb tortillas for the filler. Added egg, onion & spices. There was a little over a lb. of meat, and was enough to stuff 4 whole peppers.

Before stuffing, I steamed the peppers in the nuker & cut a V in the bottom of each pepper so the liquid would drain into the pan, not stay in the peppers. I put a can of tomato sauce in the pan, didn't pour it over the peppers. When it was done, I removed the peppers & stirred 1/2 cup sour cream into the drippings & served it over the peppers. It was pretty good, but not nearly as good as my non-diabetic version where I use 1/4 lb. crackers for filler and add a chicken bouillon cube and a cup of sour cream to the sauce, but they weren't bad.

Later today I want to try making the chocolate candy, but that's another post.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I meant to thaw some meat out last night and forgot to buy the peppers, but I'm aiming to make these very soon...maybe tomorrow. Why not use the boulilion cube and use the whole cup of sour cream? I never have used a cube in mine and 1/4 c. sour cream per serving doesn't sound that bad to me. But, thanks so much for the report...wonder what else we could use to 'suck up the juice'? I wonder if crushed pork rinds would do that? They are used a lot in cooking I read. I may try that instead and just see how it works. I've made meatloaf with them and they were fine...well, not quite as good as bread crumbs! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts