The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having porridge on alternate days since I found out I had diabetis a couple weeks ago. I make it with water, and then just mix in some blueberries, raspberries and some non fat vanilla yoghurt and cinnamon after it's cooked - I have never like porridge before, but I can actually sit down and eat a bowl now, making it with the mixed in yoghurt, cinnamon and fruit.

I know there is some discussion about carbs vs non carbs here but my doctor advised me to eat six portions of carbs per day and six of fruit and veg with hardly any protein.

·
Registered
930 Posts
this is just my opinion

your doctor is using 50 year old obsolete dogma that has been proven wrong.
unless you have liver/kidney issues that is just plain silly.
the porridge itself is mostly useless carbohydrate that just raises your blood sugar.

ColaJim

I have been having porridge on alternate days since I found out I had diabetis a couple weeks ago. I make it with water, and then just mix in some blueberries, raspberries and some non fat vanilla yoghurt and cinnamon after it's cooked - I have never like porridge before, but I can actually sit down and eat a bowl now, making it with the mixed in yoghurt, cinnamon and fruit.

I know there is some discussion about carbs vs non carbs here but my doctor advised me to eat six portions of carbs per day and six of fruit and veg with hardly any protein.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I agree with Jim . . . your doc isn't helping you by recommending more carbs and no protein. He's just exercising his "book-learnin", which is of no help at all in controlling blood sugar. Fix yourself some bacon & eggs for breakfast & forget about porridge altogether. We diabetics need to be eating more protein & fats, and avoiding things like cereal. Are you testing an hour after your meals, Galgal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no I am testing right before meals. I am only new at this so I am doing what the doctor and dietician are telling me. They say porridge is great because although it releases sugar, it is a slow and steady release and it is better to keep my sugars level. I have to eat 6 carbohydrates (good ones) per day, but only 2 protein and 1 fat. Basically it's a "natural unprocessed food" diet.

I still very new to this so don't really know what I am doing. I have to keep a diary of blood sugars, and everything I eat, and when and return there in a week so they can check out the results.

O

·
0 Posts
well Galgal... I love porridge and I eat it myself. It agrees with me and your doc is right that it does give a slow and steady release of energy into your bloodstream. I know lots of people here are eating very low carb and stay away from cereals, etc... but not everyone fits the same box in my opinion. Oats has many health benefits and out of all the cereals you can eat I reckon it's one of the best. My great aunt is diabetic and she has always eaten porridge and she is in her 80's and doing well. Basically you just need to work out what works for you... some people can handle more carbs than others. I usually get a BGL of 5 or so after eating porridge and it's got the added benefit of lowering cholesterol. On the plus side, oats is cheaper than eating bacon & eggs every morning... that stuff isn't cheap where I live. As you can tell I do differ in opinion on the subject... everything in moderation is what works best for me personally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thank you onlymep. You made me feel a lot better. I wouldn't agree with the bacon and eggs thing even before I knew I was diabetic - heart attack food - and thats from someone who loves an Irish fry-up once in a while - bacon, eggs, sausages, black and white pudding, - but only on holidays and special occasions. I'll stick to the porridge and see what they say. They told me it was the perfect cereal to have.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
the *only* way to tell if porridge works for you is test your BG before, and 1 hour and 2 hours after you eat. Then you will know how the porridge is affecting your BG.

each diabetic is different

1 - 7 of 7 Posts