The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have had type 2 since 2005. I use Insulin as well as Metformin. I have it pretty much under control with the meds. Possibly going to be having Gastric Bypass surgery. Still waiting to jump through all the hoops.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Portland! Welcome to our little club no one wants to join, but we're all in the same boat and mostly happy. It helps having a group to talk to and ask questions of. How about telling us more about your situation and the ways you manage your diabetes? It'll help us to answer your questions better. How much weight do you want to lose? Do you low carb/high fat diet? A whole lot of us do and have good control doing that.

Anyway, welcome!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, recently I was able to get my meds going again. The company I worked for during the past 12 years has failed in the economy and I lost my insurance. I was without meds for a couple of months and it nearly did me in. I hate it but I was able to get assistance. Still looking for work, but until I get private insurance, I am stuck with Oregon Healthcare. I am awaiting the results of my blood-work and will see my new Doctor tomorrow to discuss the results. I don't see this A1c being any good. 2 of the 3 months were without meds. I was able to get back in target ranges within 2 days of going back on meds. I have a good control of it with proper meds. I am on a low carb diet. TO answer what weight I want to lose, I will say that I am morbidly obese. 275 lbs could go away that I wouldn't miss. That is why I have been recommended for gastric bypass or belly banding. I still have to meet with the bariatric clinic. I will be having it done. I have wanted this for years. I know the dangers and the benefits. I have lost 50 lbs since I last weighed at the Doctor's office a year ago. That was pleasant news anyway. My body simply holds onto weight with all it's might. The hope is for the procedure to eventually put my diabetes into remission. I'll be around checking this forum from time to time.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good to meet you, Laney, and I'll be looking forward to seeing you now & again. Keep us posted on how you're doing - we have others here who have had bariatric surgery with good results.

Take care and thank you for joining us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.