The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my now 4 year old daughter. After I had her my blood sugar levels returned to normal. Have gained a lot of weight in the past four years and last night realized that I had been experiencing a lot of symptoms of diabetes. I was able to dig up my old monitor and do a test at about 12pm. I had eaten dinner late at about 9pm and when I tested it said I was up to 345 mg/dl. I realize that is super high. So I tested again this morning right when I woke up and before I had eaten anything and I was at 149 mg/dl. From what I read that is still high for fasting.
So at this point I’m pretty worried. I was wondering if I should continue to monitor myself this weekend and wait to see my doctor after the long holiday or is it bad enough that I should go to an emergency clinic like CareNow or PrimaCare? I would really appreciate advice and/or suggestions.
Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi Leo and Welcome.

Certainly seems like you need to see a Doctor sooner rather than later but is it an emergency? Hard to say. Your BG although still higher than normal (70-125mg/dl) did come down overnight and what you describe sounds more like Type 2 Diabetes than Type 1.

I am NOT a Doctor but my advice would be to make an appointment as soon as possible but keep checking your BGs meantime... if at any point it just keeps going up then seek urgent medical care OR if in doubt please do not hesitate to seek medical care. Does your local ER have a nurse you can phone for advice? Some do.

If this is Type 2, chances are high that your BGs may have been raised for some time (months).

Please stay around, read, share and ask questions. It is daunting and overwhelming at first (although you already are ahead of the game by having GD experience under your belt) but you will find many here who know what it feels like and have come through OK :)

Meantime stay well hydrated, keep checking your BGs and keep a log of meals, BGs etc... to show your Doctor and for your own reference because ultimately you will be the one taking charge.

Please don't starve yourself but I would suggest avoiding obvious sources of sugar and starch.

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'd eat as low carb as possible and I believe Frank gave you good advice. Keep writing us and read as much as possible. There is a very good sticky about diet and many other ideas. It does not sound like an emergency, but like a problem that can't be worked out over time.

Have a good weekend in any case!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm not a doctor either, but would do as Frank suggests -keep monitoring, eat as few carbs as possible, and make an appt after the 4th. Your numbers are high but in my non-medical opinion, not critical in the short term (i.e. next few days). Is certainly something you want to get a handle on starting today however by not eating rice, potatoes, bread, cereal, fruit, etc. That should bring your numbers down until (and even after!) you see your doc.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
What everybody's suggested.

Only thing I'd add is, hospitals consider 400-500 and above a medical emergency (standards vary).

If you come up with a reading of 400 or above, I strongly recommend you drop everything, call a doc right away, or just go straight to urgent care. If it's at/over 500 - go straight to Urgent Care -- Do Not Pass "Go." Do not accept "see ya in the morning" as an answer.

Glad you found us! Sorry you had to. You'll find lots of info and support here.

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hello all! I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my now 4 year old daughter. After I had her my blood sugar levels returned to normal. Have gained a lot of weight in the past four years and last night realized that I had been experiencing a lot of symptoms of diabetes. I was able to dig up my old monitor and do a test at about 12pm. I had eaten dinner late at about 9pm and when I tested it said I was up to 345 mg/dl. I realize that is super high. So I tested again this morning right when I woke up and before I had eaten anything and I was at 149 mg/dl. From what I read that is still high for fasting.
So at this point I’m pretty worried. I was wondering if I should continue to monitor myself this weekend and wait to see my doctor after the long holiday or is it bad enough that I should go to an emergency clinic like CareNow or PrimaCare? I would really appreciate advice and/or suggestions.
Thanks!
Hi and welcome:D, You've come to the right place and you should be able to get a lot of good information and ideas here.
Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Gene

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
First of all if your strips are 4 years old, I would go out and purchase some new strips or at least check the expiration date on them. I think most unopened strips have an exp date of 18 months - 24 months. Also what is your diet like? How many carbs do you think you are eating at meals? My D body can only handle about 10-15 carbs a meal. If you cut down your carbs and begin to see lower bgs then you are probably a type 2 diabetic. If your bgs stay high even with cutting back on carbs you may be a type 1 which may be more of an emergency. Either way bgs above 140 could start to do damage to your blood vessels if left untouched. So it would be a good idea to schedule an appointment with your doctor. They could write you a script for lab work before you go in for an appointment which might speed things up if it comes out you are diabetic.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi Leo,

What Jwags said is right - your strips are out of date if they are from years ago. You will absolutely have a crazy reading from strips that old. And your meter also - it's recommended that you replace your meter each year because the calibration gets off. I'd say go out right away and get a new meter and strips - Walmart has the Relion brand for pretty cheap. Good luck and don't panic!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Leo,

What Jwags said is right - your strips are out of date if they are from years ago. You will absolutely have a crazy reading from strips that old. And your meter also - it's recommended that you replace your meter each year because the calibration gets off. I'd say go out right away and get a new meter and strips - Walmart has the Relion brand for pretty cheap. Good luck and don't panic!

The thought about the meter being off crossed my mind also. However, I tested my husband twice, once fasting and once about 1.5 hours after eating and his numbers were fine.
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I am going to call my doctor first thing Tuesday morning.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The thought about the meter being off crossed my mind also. However, I tested my husband twice, once fasting and once about 1.5 hours after eating and his numbers were fine.
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I am going to call my doctor first thing Tuesday morning.
Still, that doesn't mean anything. For your peace of mind, get a new meter and strips tomorrow and then you won't have to question it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts